suggestions for a turntable

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

davei

hi guys
under 1k what would be a good turntable and cartridge, new and used.
i have been looking, but have been out of the analog loop for a while.
thanks
davei

A Rega P3 is always a good starting point whether new or used.

For a bit more I have heard good things about the Nottingham Horizon at around $1000.

The cartridge will depend on if you want to go MC or MM?

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with a Linn LP12. They are abundant and can be inexpensive. If you enjoy the vinyl experience, you can mod your LP12 up to pretty much any price/performance point that you want. Even a half-way decent vinyl setup will compete with top-end CD players. A well set-up turntable and a good record provide audio rewards that go well beyond what I have heard come from digital (although I have never heard SACD).

go for the linn LP 12...

Sky Saw said:
You can't go wrong with a Linn LP12. They are abundant and can be inexpensive. If you enjoy the vinyl experience, you can mod your LP12 up to pretty much any price/performance point that you want. Even a half-way decent vinyl setup will compete with top-end CD players. A well set-up turntable and a good record provide audio rewards that go well beyond what I have heard come from digital (although I have never heard SACD).

IMHO, a used Linn LP12, it is the best buy and one of the best turntables of the market 15 years ago and still today. You can get any arm to work fine with it, and the S/R (signal to noise ratio) is very good. It gives clean bass and the cartridge, get a Grado...or the Blue Point Naked...not so expensive and very good sounding cartridge. Hope this can help in your quest.
Regards from Costa Rica, and happy listening,
Roberto.

Last edited:
thanks to all
let the quest begin, i will see what i can find in the used market for a table and replace the cartridge.

nick,
i used to have rega planar 3, i prefered moving coil back in the day.
i sold that table when i was moving for $ 100.00 , what the hell was i thinking!

roberto, sky saw
thanks always wanted a linn back then. and maybe now!
BTW which grado?

jeff
if you get bored with the thorens, i can take it off your hands!
thanks again
davei

davei said:
thanks to all
let the quest begin, i will see what i can find in the used market for a table and replace the cartridge.

nick,
i sold that table when i was moving for $ 100.00 , what the hell was i thinking!

roberto, sky saw
BTW which grado?

jeff
thanks again
davei

Hola Davei: I will buy the Grado Platinum, it is not so expensive and it is very warm. The Sonata is a little bit better, in terms of tracking and more precise, but the Platinum is $200.00 less and I don't hear that difference in money...
Hope this can help!
Happy listening, my friend.
Roberto.

Last edited:
davei said:
thanks to all

nick,

roberto, sky saw
BTW which grado?

jeff
thanks again
davei

Dave,
I also have a Bang & Olufson turntable sitting collectng dust.
Jeff

Curious, as I've been going through similar motions considering going back into a vinyl solution on my system as well.
I concur with the Rega P3 suggestion.. it's a tried and true solution.
Also consider the VPI Scout, or a SOTA Comet, or perhaps a ProJect eXperience.
A LINN is a fabulous table, but can be a fussy soul to deal with. They are critical about setup, and what they are set upon. The more recent versions are less so, but still require much care and feeding... not a "plug and play" solution for sure !
There are also some real nice models from ClearAudio to consider.
My own suggestion (and I may heed my own words for a change !) is to grab a used P3 and a decent MM cartridge, and see if you really enjoy spinning vinyl.. if so, then you can always move up the gravy train to better spinners.

double d
i was thinking project eXpression with a blue point special cartrige if new!
my friend has a project debut that i played with for a little while on my system but the phono preamp i used was not a good one. but still not bad.
i think i will see whats on the used market for a bit.
thanks
dave

For under 1K, I would go with a Sota Moonbeam with a Blue Point or Blue Point special if you can get a deal from the dealer. The combo is still under 1k new.

I think Sota even offer a some discount if you don't have any local dealer. Every single bit of info you need to know are on their web site.

http://www.sotaturntables.com/

Lots of good advice here! I would go for a Rega, Clearaudio or ProJect, these brands are king in the budget sector. For a bit more you can get a Michell Gyro 2nd hand, one of the most beautiful (and to my ears) best sounding decks around for the money. Also good are 2nd hand Thorens and Garrard turntables.

Gilbert Y said:
For under 1K, I would go with a Sota Moonbeam with a Blue Point or Blue Point special if you can get a deal from the dealer. The combo is still under 1k new.

I think Sota even offer a some discount if you don't have any local dealer. Every single bit of info you need to know are on their web site.

http://www.sotaturntables.com/

gilbert
just ordered a sota moonbeam got a great price off the web, my local ML dealer also has sumiko and i just ordered a blue point special, i think i got a good deal but i forgot to ask how much. and i think i found a really good phono preamp guess which one :D
make sure you have a BC27 ready go!
thanks
dave

davei

Don't hold you breath. ;)

We build everything to order and most time we don't even stock sub-assembly. We build everything from square one so we know exactly what went to whom and totally fresh. As a result, you will have to wait for your BC27. Current lead time is about 3 to 4 weeks. Sorry. :(

Back