Subwoofers: HSU vs SVS vs Velodyne

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conrad

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been reading a lot about subwoofers. In the "underdog" category. 3 names came up tops for woofers with close-to-the-top performance but at man-in-street price range; HSU, Velodyne, SVS.

The Descent has certainly made it to numerous reviews but falls in a price range above these. Among the 3 above, SVS and HSU offer rave reviews and tempting prices.

I like to seek feedback from users who have experienced these subs to share some feedback. I am looking at top of the line HSU VTF3-MK2 and also the SVS Ultra series and SVS PLUS series.

Do tell me all about it. By the way, I will link up this new sub to my Odysseys.

Thanks in advance

I have.... er had (I just sold it last week)... the SVS 25-31PC+. It is an awesome subwoofer and for what I got it for used ($580), it was a monster in its own right. It has tunable ports and I could have it dig as deep as 16hz or have all three ports open and have it at the native 25hz tune.

I thought the SVS PC+ was great... until I heard the Descent.

The Descent, IMO, is superior to the PC+.... no questions about it. Absolutely zero port turbulence, digs pretty deep and is completely inert. I would love to get a Descent if I had the chance.

Now, how would a PC Ultra by SVS fare? I dont know.

I heard a PB12+/2 before (from the guy I bought the PC+ from) and it was an insane powerful sub. How would this compare to the Descent? The PB12+/2 probably has more output, but I would still prefer the Descent for tightness overall... especially since it is a closed design.

I have heard though... that people have upgraded from the Descent to the SVS B4+ (4x12+ woofers) and they have said that it is no comparison (similar price).... I never heard it so YMMV.

There is a B4+ at audiogon for only $1500.

I havent heard any of the HSU subs.

HSU new sub

Just came across from HSU Research website forum that they are launching a new sub. Have decided to give it a try. They seem to have stong reputation in the sub authority.

I have tried a number of different sub’s and the Descent was the best I have had in my system thus far. I did try a mid level Velodyne sub and was very disappointed with it's performance. There high end subs are in my opinion very good at pumping out the bass but not very musical. The Descent gave me the best of both worlds, it is very musical and can blind in with my main speakers and disappear, but can also turnaround and hit very hard and be very aggressive.

If you have not already taken a look at definitive technology’s Super cubs, please do so. They are wonderful little subs.

Take care.

IMHO the Descent is over priced. It is a good sub but compared to what you can get in that price range you could pick up SVS PB12-Ultra/2 and then add the new Velodyne SMS-1 DD Drive system for the same price. Or pick up a Paradigm and the SMS-1 either way for the same price both packages would exceed the preformance of the Descent.

I've always been a fan of Velodyne's DD series, especially the DD12 and DD15. When set-up correctly, they can sound very musical and hit with tons of authority. I love the room calibration, and the remote control's features are great too, especially the presets.

The Descent is an awesome sub also, I'd love to hear one set-up with Velodyne's SMS-1. I have had great success with the Depth also. I just recently had one installed at a customers home along with 5 Passages, running off an AVR4806. For his room, this was an awesome set-up. It wasn't the largest room, but I was impressed with the sound quality of the Depth, and it's sheer output. Fine subwoofer by any standard.

I'd say SVS. I've owned velodyne and it never hit as hard as my SVS can. And we're talking clean, tight, deep bass that keeps up great with my ML's.

HSU Rocks

I, too, debated going ML vs. HSU/SVS/Outlaw. I demo'd the ML's and went off of a lot of favorable forum feedback from happy users with the others. I recently picked up a brand new gloss black HSU VTF3-MK2 for under $600-- a price I could not pass up in trying.

What shocked me was the value for the price for this 80+ lb beast!

This is one GREAT sub in every way!! My greatest reservation was it's musical ability to blend with my ML's, which was ultimately unfounded-- it is very musical, never booming, and has huge headroom that literally pressurizes the room when it's called upon in HT use (significant dB below 20 Hz).

I can't say enough good about HSU. And the new HO turbo models just about to be released will fire yet another shot across the bow for all sub manufacturers.

These things keep getting more incredible for lower and lower prices.

Hi Lasermark4,

What did you set at the cross-over? I have my Odysseys and it starts at 35hz but I am not sure if I should (when I get my woofer) set the cross at 35hz or above or below. Let me know.

Thanks.

conrad said:
Hi Lasermark4,

What did you set at the cross-over? I have my Odysseys and it starts at 35hz but I am not sure if I should (when I get my woofer) set the cross at 35hz or above or below. Let me know.

Thanks.

I certainly don't have the horsepower of your Odysseys in the bass department with my smaller ML's, and they start in the 40-43 range.

I have my crossover in the receiver set at 80, which has been the best for my room, etc. I was concerned that the HSU would take too much control in the 40-80 range and not sound natural. But for me, it blends so smoothly and disappears, so I let it take the load to 80.

I would think 60-68 will be the range you dial in at. Let me know what you finally arrive at and what you think of the sub. I think you are in for a good suprise.

Has anyone had some experience with Rythmik Audio? Just considering selling my old very big sub and replacing it with 2 small boxes. DIY option would allow me to have the subs exactly to my need. Rythmik seems to have servo topology. Would be very interested to get some opinions. Price is also very good :)

Back