Subwoofer recommendations please (HSU, SVS, Outlaw, DIY) MUST be wireless

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Main System

Denon 2313
L/R
Martin Logan Motion 40
C
Martin Logan EM C2
Surrounds
Martin Logan FX 2

90% Movie/Game/TV
10% Music

I am looking for 1 or 2 (I know 2 is better) subs to give me some excellent bass from this system

Room is a living room, so i think the giant tubes are out of the question. I can probably swing 2."regular" sw.

---- ABSURD ASCII ROOM DIAGRAM BELOW ----

<
20 feet ish
>
| L ---- T V ---- R

| C
| O
| U
C
H
| C O U C H
| SS SS
|__

Left side "wall" is about 18 feet
Behind the couch is open to the kitchen area on the first floor section. Above 7 feet it is wall to vaulted ceiling
Behind the other couch is open to rest of the house
2 story vaulted open above and to the side of the viewing area
The empty spaces on the left are 2 story windows
The three dashes on the left represent a fireplace and mantle, above which is a window

I have briefly looked at HSU, Outlaw, SVS, etc. I am not brand specific, just want the tightest, deepest LFE i can get . I am also handy enough that if a DIY option exists, i am willing to take that on as a project with my kiddos)

Budget is ... Not whatever it will take, but within reason. Reason for me is ~$2200 for the pair or single

Constraints are as follows
Wireless required (Carpet now, hardwood floors within 2 months). Obviously not all SW are wireless, so whatever kit is the best as well
Living room, so has to be able to produce LFE at low levels when others are sleeping and high when we are movie nighting
WAF would be nice

If there are sales now, awesome. If someone has subs for sale, awesome (I am in Houston, TX ... Home of the 2-9 Texans)

If there is anything i left out, let me know and i will add.

ALSO - I am looking for a good wireless kit to drive the rear surround FX2's

JohnC: Dual SVS SB12-NSD, currently $300 below your price-point, have been serving me well in my 20x20x8 family room. WAF is "acceptable." SVS also sells a SW wireless kit - though I have no experience with the kit. When shopping for subwoofers, HSU and Rythmik were strong contenders. SVS customer service, whether via phone or email, has been excellent. My interest is primarily music, so the SB12's sealed design is fine for me. If you want lower Hz, then a larger ported design might suit you better.

You may want to consider an ML Depth or Descent. They are typically above your target price, but both are on closeout at multiple online dealers. Both use a trio of servo-controlled drivers (8 inch on the Depth, 10in on the Descent) to get deep, tight bass. Both also have much better WAF than the other subs you mentioned.
Something to consider...

I recently switched from a JLF212 to a pair of SVS PB13 Ultras and they blow away the JL in every way. If you have the floor space, you can't go wrong with a single pb13.

Back