Subwoofer question....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTB300

Reaction score
I already run a sub in my setup, and with the SMS-1, I am happy with it, but there is probably something better I could be using.

BUT....if you were to run a sub, and it was not a Martin Logan Sub, which product would you consider - company and model - either for two channel and/or HT use. I really do not like Polls, so I decided to just post it here in a message for folks to reply to.

I am just curious to see what MLO folks think about this outside of ML models? Out in the other forums it seems the top three are: SVS, Velodyne, and REL with larger drivers (15" - 18") being preferred over smaller ones.

BTW, if I am typing "funny" again and you cannot follow what I am asking for (seems to be a problem of mine lately), just ask for clarification :D :D :D

Dan

Dan,

I guess that any of those you mentioned would be just fine.

I am just considering another approach:

build a pair of small volume sealed enclosures with servo (line source). Recently found an interesting site with interesting prices (www.rythmikaudio.com). Guess that the true servo should be quite a fine match to the speed & control of the panels. And at least from the diagrams on their web site the beasts can go really low.

I guess the size of the box also plays the role ... now the size of some RELs & Co. is really scary ... I already have a sub that is actually too big for my living room, therefore the above idea.

miljac

Non-ML Subwoofer...

Dan,

Well, I would probably go for a servo subwoofer for sure. The SVS PB 15 Ultra/2 subwoofer tickles my fancy... :D It's an even bigger version of Dolfin's - System #78: SVS PB 12 Ultra/2, which is totally fantastic subwoofer as well. :p :D

Dan,
I went from the Descent to a Velodyne DD 18 and couldn't be happier. Since you already have the sms-1 you might be better off with
the hsg series.
This Sub has totally opened up the fun factor with movies,especially the ones that I think are pretty bad (War of the Worlds) but become watchable just because of the sub. Best upgrade I ever made.

Dan,

I could not be happier with my Descent, but if I were going to consider another sub I would be looking at. Definitive Technology’s Super Cube Reference, Velodyne DD 18 (only for HT, not a very musical sub in my opinion), SVS PB 12 Ultra/2.

Dan,

I upgraded from a Mirage BPS-150 to an SVS PC-Ultra and I think it is a great match with my Aerius's, couldn't be happier for music or theater. We got it in March and every time I play a new CD or DVD with the PC-Ultra my wife and I both get those "gee, I haven't heard or noticed that before" moments.

One sub that hasn't been mentioned that is getting some good publicity right now is the ACI Maestro XL. Sealed and good looking too.

Chuck

Check the AVS forum sub thread on the 15" ACI Maestro. It is a supurb sub. They also make a 12" and 10" models at lower cost, but similar performance for smaller spaces or less bass hunger :) ACI is a great company that sells exclusively mail order and has done so for over twenty years. I prefer sealed subs, but that subject is quite controversial at AVS now. I have a ML Depth now, but previously owned a Velo SPL 1200 II. It was a very good sub. I only got the ML cause I have wanted one for four years and got a barely used one at a great price. The analog bass filter on the Depth works very well with my SMS-1 to cure a big bass hump at around 30 hz.

DTB300 said:
....if you were to run a sub, and it was not a Martin Logan Sub, which product would you Dan

Curious to see these results, but I am also wondering what sub would be best paired with the Aeoni, and my relatively small listening room. 25sqm

Thoughts anyone??

SugarMedia said:
Curious to see these results, but I am also wondering what sub would be best paired with the Aeoni, and my relatively small listening room. 25sqm

Thoughts anyone??

What about Audio Physics Luna? A remarkable small sub.

I've been using a BagEnd Infra 18 for a while now and just completed a DIY sub based on a SoundSplinter RL-p15 driver. It is an incredible performer, combined with the BagEnd (located at two entirely different spots) I was able to eliminate some nulls in the room.

For commercial models, I would stick with SVS or Velodyne.

I currently run a Sonique subwoofer designed and built in Australia with which I am very happy - although, as always, am thinking of upgrading!

I have been listening to some of the REL stuff, and of course Martin Logan, however the one that has really grabbed my attention is Whise (Profounder 119A) - it is so fast and accurate. Well worth a listen - this will most likely be my next sub.

www.whise.com.au

attyonline said:
Check the AVS forum sub thread on the 15" ACI Maestro. It is a supurb sub. They also make a 12" and 10" models at lower cost, but similar performance for smaller spaces or less bass hunger :) ACI is a great company that sells exclusively mail order and has done so for over twenty years. I prefer sealed subs, but that subject is quite controversial at AVS now. I have a ML Depth now, but previously owned a Velo SPL 1200 II. It was a very good sub. I only got the ML cause I have wanted one for four years and got a barely used one at a great price. The analog bass filter on the Depth works very well with my SMS-1 to cure a big bass hump at around 30 hz.
Been at AVS reading for awhile (where I originally heard about the SMS-1) and the concensus is one of the three - Velodyne, SVS, & REL. I will have to read the ACI 15" thread to see what is being talked about. Thanks.

Then there is the Sealed vs the Ported Sub thread. Lot of information to read, and some of it is from some good people. I would probably be learning towards a sealed sub...but that can change over time, when and if I purchase a new sub. Problem is I would need to sell my current setup first in order for the wife to approve - Hey Bruce sound familiar!!!

I was considering a SPL-1200 as I have heard some Velodyne subs (about a year back), but then again there is nothing be good things said about the SVS models the the PB12 is a consideration.

How would you compare the 1200 versus your Depth?

Dan

Last edited:
Audiophiliac said:
One of my favorites and also a high performer for the money is the Paradigm Servo-15.
There was one of these for sale local to me...It was version 1 of the sub, but it sold before I could decide on making a move or not. Then there was a version 2 of it on Ebay (new but said to be damaged in shipment - :confused: ) and it sat around $500, but on the last day jumped up to $1600. MSRP is $2200 on it.

Dan

Munster said:
Dan,
I went from the Descent to a Velodyne DD 18 and couldn't be happier. Since you already have the sms-1 you might be better off with the hsg series.
Yeah, since I have the SMS-1, the DD line from Velodyne would just be a waste of money for me. The HGS series did catch my eye along with the SPL series from Velodyne.

For SVS, I like the PB12-Plus/2 - heck of a sub for the price and many good things said about it.

Dan

The Depth and SPL 1200 are close. According to the SMS-1 readout, the 1200 rolled off pretty fast below 25 hz, while the Depth was going strong below 20 hz. My room is a sealed 2000 cubic footer so either sub had enough output for me. Servo made the bass sound a bit cleaner with the Depth, but the differences were minor at most. Depth seemed a slightly better transition with my Aeons at 80 hz, but again my opinion is no doubt colored by the fact I wanted the Depth for so long. I had an SVS Ultra before my Velo. It was a great sub, but I liked the sound of music more with the Velo than my SVS, even though it did not go as deep. I thought the upper bass and transition to the mains was better with the Velo, but I have great respect for SVS and would understand if someone came to the opposite conclusion.

attyonline said:
I had an SVS Ultra before my Velo. It was a great sub, but I liked the sound of music more with the Velo than my SVS, even though it did not go as deep. I thought the upper bass and transition to the mains was better with the Velo, but I have great respect for SVS and would understand if someone came to the opposite conclusion.
It seems to be a general consensus from many posts that I have read, that the Velodyne is better for music than the SVS. But like you said either one could be a great choice.

attyonline said:
My room is a sealed 2000 cubic footer so either sub had enough output for me. Servo made the bass sound a bit cleaner with the Depth, but the differences were minor at most.
My room is around 2500, so we have comparable rooms size wise, so it is good to hear about the performance of the Depth. I am sure a Velodyne, ML, or SVS would do just fine in my setup. When I make the decision to make a move, I will definitely audition each in my home setup - the true test.

For others reading this thead I have never ruled out the Depth Sub, just was curious what other models were highly regarded as a good compliement for our fine Main Speakers.

Dan

I see on the SVS Site that they are going to be bringing out a small footprint Sealed Enclosure sub: "The long awaited SB12-Plus is coming to pre-orders soon" (July). This has been a knock on SVS for a bit that they only offer ported subs. Will be interesting to see what people have to say about it.

Being that it is Father's Day weekend, I might just have to go over to my ML store and have them hookup the Depth for a listen. They also have the Vandersteen, Aerial, and Wilson Subs. Vandersteen is probably within price range, but Aerial (very nice) and Wilson are not.

Main trouble is, if I hear it, I will want to buy it, and I do not think the better-half will be too pleased with that decision

Dan

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back