Subwoofer management

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RDES.... but not even close to the SMS-1 in overall ease of use and features.

I use the Outlaw ICBM to manage the bass in my Logos/Aeon/Scenario/Descent/Myryad MDP500 G6/Proceed Amp 5/Lexicon RT-10 video system. Totally analogue, totally awesome and available online at www.outlawaudio.com.

The behringer DEQ systems are a cheap (but less friendly) alternative. You can get the lower end one for $100. It's basically a 15 band (I think?) 2-Channel Digital EQ, but it takes some time to calibrate it...and it isn't an all inclusive package (need to buy a seperate SPL meter, and ideally hook up a laptop with a calibration package) Nice for people on a tight budget though :)

Bass Management...

amey01,

I'm still using the MCCMMP equalizer from my Pioneer VSX 59Txi Receiver for bass management. :rolleyes: It's nothing compared to the SMS-1 though... ;) I could have perchase the SMS-1 but I had to make a choice wether to save up for other more needed equipment or go for the SMS-1. I chose the later. I still plan to own a SMS-1 someday, especially when I have two systems in my home. :)

Thanks guys - I've been looking at the Behringer stuff - they have so many products that may be useful from the little DSP1124P that I've since heard a lot of people are using to the more complex Ultradrive DCX2496, however I'm not sure which one will suit my needs. I don't want to spend more on the Ultradrive if it is not going to give me anything more than I need! More research!

DCX and DEQ 24/96

Recently I purchased The Behringer Ultradrive DCX 24/96 and the Ultracurve DEQ 24/96
for my system, and have to comment these units are amazing. After weeks of testing I can honestly say that I see no down side to using pro-audio gear in hi-end applications. First, I purchased the ultradrive to cut the bass to my Aerius at 50hz and re-route the low bass to a single subwoofer. Initially was sceptical of the Behringers because of its low price, and pro audio background, but this unit performed flawlessly, and has features galore. One great feature is phase adjustments can be made to any of its 6 channels, but the best thing about Ultracurve is that it added zero noticeable noise/distortion. (For future applications I intend to Bi-Amp and take anvantage of this active crossovers features, but for now this is great). Because I was so impressed with Behringers active crossover I decided to give the Ultracurve a shot as well, the results were astonishing. Incredibe sound, not difficult to operate, and it interfaces to my ultracurve in the digital domain, rather than analogue. I applaud this feature because I am able to skip an entire AD/DA process, thus eliminating another source of possible noise. I have not yet had the opotuninty to try the auto room eq but I have no doubt that it's excelent as well. These Behringer units are definately the best money I have spent on my system since I purchased my ML's.

Yep, I agree. I've now got the 1124P and it's great. I'd be sceptical about using it in the main channels, but just for the sub (so using it only below 40Hz) it's great!

Svs As-eq1

This groundbreaking unit will be out shortly.

If it does half of what's described, will be totally worth it.

http://www.svsound.com/CES2007/SVS_AudyessyRelease.pdf

The SVS AS-EQ1 will provide all the benefits of Audyessy processing focused on the subwoofer frequencies.

I use a BFD1124 today, but will switch to this as soon as it's out.

Beleive me, I'm anal about bass management :p

Svs As-eq1

Delayed indefinitely? :(

Can't seem to find any updated information on this promising piece. Anybody got an update?

Whoa-Ho! I hear the word "Behringer" and i get mixed feelings. I am the not so proud owner of a DEQ2496, which is currently in the shop awaiting a Return Authorization. re: crashes on "fatal error 7 [1]". When the unit was working, steadily infrequently, I thought the benifits outweighed the detriments enough to want it fixed, but be forewarned (or should I say, Informed)
1) It introduced hum into the system
I believed it was due to a ground loop due to balanced/unbalanced intergration into my system, or it could be related to the crash issue. Unfortunately the warranty issue is not giving me the opportunity to investigate further.
2) The AEQ module (auto Equalizer) is, via instruction manual, not recommended for frequencies below 100Hz, what I want it for mostly. As with all equipment, download the operators manual befor purchasing.
3) The AEQ module, in operation with the pink noise generator, will auto-equalize until the end of time. There is no time out function and the individual frequencies will auto-correct themselves to further and further extremes unless you manually end the process.
4) Use a Behringer mike for Behringer products. The specs are measured differently on the Behringer mike than my dbx mike, and when I found a conversion chart and did the math, the dbx mike was off the calibration scale of the DEQ2496. Maybe I suck at math?
5) Tech help and customer service is found to be extremely wanting. In addition to fruitless results all over the internet and Behringer about a "fatal error 7" crash, Behringer customer service vanished immidiately after I (correctly) completed their online request for warranty service. At least for one month now.

Ah, but when it was functioning, what a gem. The tricks this little unit could do were simply astonishing to me, and at the very least, very educational.

BTW, I heard somewhere, very briefly, that their Feedback Destroyer can handle low frequency correction. But it's a Behringer :(

1) It introduced hum into the system
I believed it was due to a ground loop due to balanced/unbalanced intergration into my system, or it could be related to the crash issue. Unfortunately the warranty issue is not giving me the opportunity to investigate further.
:(

Beakman,

Yes, you are correct about the hum. It did the same thing to me. I will tell you that after me spending waaaay to much time investigating it. I spoke to someone and they said disconnect pin 1 on you balanced connection. The Behringer is known for that problem. I went to my local music store and bought these connectors that do just that. Hum was gone. I then sold the Behringer and bought the Ashly that I mentioned above and it is DEAD QUIET without the connectors.

Beakman,

Yes, you are correct about the hum. It did the same thing to me. I will tell you that after me spending waaaay to much time investigating it. I spoke to someone and they said disconnect pin 1 on you balanced connection. The Behringer is known for that problem. I went to my local music store and bought these connectors that do just that. Hum was gone. I then sold the Behringer and bought the Ashly that I mentioned above and it is DEAD QUIET without the connectors.

Thanks for that info. I will definitely get other interconnects or alter the current ones. I don't think the RA issue will be resolved anytime soon enough and just may take possesion of the unit back to see if that is related to the system crashes also.

Behringer UltracurvePro 24/96 Digital Equalizer

Just pulled mine out of the box and thank God no hum issue...I did notice that the AEQ WILL just run forever and it's not recommended below 100 (weird) but both were in the manual and for 220 shipped I dont feel ripped off...

where can I read about room correction? the manual really bites but again...for 220...still a steal

thanks!!

Latest posts

Back