subwoofer in an sub optimal room

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laveller

Reaction score
Hi guys ... need some recommendations ... I have a small square (undersireable I know, but it is what it is) music room (music only, no HT stuff), 13.5 by 13.5 by 8(ht) .. I'm replacing a old pair of klipsch with a set of electromotions ... I want to use a subwoofer for the low end and punch but i don't have room with something that's the size of a refrigerator with an 18" driver ... what's the best combination of punch (low end punch is important to me), low freq response, and driver size that will compliment the ML's? thanks of any thoughts

Depth is a possibility ... JL ... Been to the website but know nothing about the brand. I was thinking about klipsch or axiom. Id like the freq response to go as low as possible but what i really want is to add some "punch" to the bottom end.

I wouldn't recommend Klipsch or Axiom. The ML subs are really top notch. A lot of guys think that the JLs are a little bit better, but I am not sure that I agree. I think they're pretty comparable.

With such an acoustically challenging room, I'd focus on using two or maybe even four smaller subs to gain the benefits of modal management. Maybe even apply a Soundfield Management box like JBL BassQ on top.

See this thread and related article using multiple subs to improve the quality and modal distribution of bass:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-Experiment-one-15-two-12-or-four-8-inch-subs

And this article on the BassQ:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1163240

Personally, for that room, I'd use two high-quality 12" subs or four good quality 10", with a nod to four to help tame the nasties a perfect square (and almost a cube) room will bring to the party. I'd even go so far as to vary the heights of at least two of the subs (out of four).

Jonfo ... Ill read the articles asap .. The MLs are in the room now and im experimenting with placement ... Gonna have to move a LOT of stuff around, its gonna take some time ... Interestign to me that box speakers seem to be easier to place but the panels are MUCH better sounding .. Once placed prpoerly

Back