Sub recommendation for ML Ascent-i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kamran said:
I did listen to both depth and descent and of course, descent sounded full and powerful and I really liked it. My only issue was the price, so I started looking at other available options with similar performance at lower price. Depth is what most on this thread recommended and seems very popular on this forum. I can possible stretch my budget to $2000 so I would have to settle for a used one or wait another month or so to save a little more.
Try to be patient if you can. Sometimes great deals on used subs can be found at places like Audiogon. With a $2000 budget you have a wide variety of options, and with a little more cash available, your choices are almost endless for a great sub.

Some of the most widely talked about subs around your price range (new and used) are:

ML Depth and Decent (around your current budget used)
Velodyne DD-15 (used in your range), DD-18 (used $3k), and the HGX-15 (new at your budget)
ACI Maestro XL (new at your budget), Titan XL (could get two Titan's for your budget)
Paradigm Servo-15 V2 (new at your current budget)
SVS PB12/Ultra 2 (new at your current budget)
SVS SB-12 (new sealed design if you want SVS)

The ACI and SVS are Internet order only and have a 30 day trial, you just have to pay for shipping back. The ACI Maestro has received some great reviews and discussion over at AVSForum - one particular user compared it to be almost equivilant to the DD-18. Maybe one day I will get to hear a SVS sub from someone in my area and base my own opinions on them.

Paradigm is from dealers only

Velodyne can be purchased from dealers or many sites online (watch out for unauthorized dealers = no warranty)

And of course you know about the ML subs. I heard both the Depth and the Decent, and I agree with others here that the Decent is a superior sub. But it comes down to money, performace, and your opinion with them. You have to ask yourself, is the Decent worth the extra $1k? For myself, If I could have afforded the Decent I would have purchased it, but my dealer would not budge on their price.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 makes a good point. If you are going to try one of the mail order subs, try to audition one locally if you can. Return shipping on one of these will be significant. (for reference it costs ~$50 to ship 50 lbs. across the country). If you have a local dealer for any of the listed subs try those first. Mail order audio is great, but only if you actually like what you buy. Between return shipping and restocking fees (dependent on vendor), it can get expensive for the "privilege" of auditioning audio gear.

I had bought a velodyne 12inch sub about 13 years ago and I absolutely loved it with my monitor audio gold book shelf speakers and a carver hr895 receiver.

Now that I am rebuilding my home theater / stereo system with Martin Logan I wanted to get something that matches well sonically.

Great list from DTB300. I am on audiogon as I write checking what's available and will try audition some this weekend.

Check out the Paradigm Seismic 10 sub. They are very fast and accurate. Most definitely compliments my pair of Aeon i’s.

Seismic10.jpg

Seismic Series Subs

Back