Sub phase issues

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checkbit

Reaction score
Hi

What a great forum! I have been lurking here for a few months and I finally set up my system again after some home remodeling. Because of the remodel I was able to put my sub on the same plane as my SL3s for the first time. I was surprised to hear that when I did that I could barely hear the bass. Its hard to explain, I can feel it, but it is not loud. I have the phase set to 0, which given the placement should be correct. When I switch it to 180 it does get louder, but muddier. For those of you who have your sub on the same plane as your logans what is your phase set to?

system consists of:
SL3s ('98)
Velodyne FSR 12 ('98)
Theta Casanova
xover set at Full w/Lopass- Linkwitz-Riley 80hz 24db Phase 0

thanks for any input

chris

Mine is on the same plane and set to 0 - I'd suggest you experiment with placement as well as phase - try the old trick of putting the sub in your listening seat and moving around the room until you find the best balance - then place the sub there and see how things pan out. Of course, there could be a wiring problem - is the bass right with the sub turned off? Check wiring polarity, especially between the L and R channel.

Mine is in a corner, (see system 99), with the phase set to 90. This is on a Depth coupled to Ascent Is. Keep in mind that the Depth has three horizontal drivers firing at 120 degree offsets. I suspect that the two drivers interacting with the corner walls is what leads to the phase difference.

checkbit said:
Hi

What a great forum! I have been lurking here for a few months and I finally set up my system again after some home remodeling. Because of the remodel I was able to put my sub on the same plane as my SL3s for the first time. I was surprised to hear that when I did that I could barely hear the bass. Its hard to explain, I can feel it, but it is not loud. I have the phase set to 0, which given the placement should be correct. When I switch it to 180 it does get louder, but muddier. For those of you who have your sub on the same plane as your logans what is your phase set to?

system consists of:
SL3s ('98)
Velodyne FSR 12 ('98)
Theta Casanova
xover set at Full w/Lopass- Linkwitz-Riley 80hz 24db Phase 0

thanks for any input

chris
Hola Chris. Due to the fact that frecuencies below let´s say 80 Hz don´t have direction. We don´t know from where they are coming from. So you can place the sub next to a corner, or next to a wall to enhance the low frequency info and pehaps you could listen better the bass without mud. Experiment. With the phase switch, you can find how clean and perform better the musicians, the bass and low drums, organ or instruments that contains really low frequency, than to hear an explotion. Remember that it is better to have quality than quantity and also, we usually like more bass energy in our room than the right scenario with the musicians. I know it is a matter of taste and liking. My liking is the musician playing for me with the right amount of bass energy, so won´t kill my scenario and also him with the other musicians. If you take off bass energy sometimes it is better than to have a lot, even that it could be as clean as running water. Trust your ears and also choose the setting that you liked most. Happy listening,
Roberto.

thanks for the quick responses. Ill try the trick with putting the sub in the sitting position and crawl around the room. Hopefully I can spend some time this weekend with it.

thanks!

Also try the 'phase perfect' crossover with the crossover on the sub disabled. Regarding phase: most of the time, the loudest is the best setting, but if it sounds muddy, reduce the gain and/or try the sub at another position. Also, lower the crossover a bit and set it at 60 Hz.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It was just amatter of placement. I moved it to the other side of the room and put it closer to the back wall and closer to a corner...that did the trick. I also took the suggestion of of lowering the xover to 60hz...sounds tight, fast, and loud. thanks again. I hope to get pictures up soon. Ive been a logan fan for 10+ years and an owner for 8.

cb

Back