Sub hookup question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mapmustang

Reaction score
I'm looking into picking up a descent to add to my system pretty soon and had a question about something I read in the user manual. It says if you use the sub for Ht/stereo, to hook up the RCA outs from the preamp as well as the LFE channel. For the descent owners out there, does the RCA hookup make a substantial difference in the sound by using the low pass filter? Also I'm assuming those RCA connections are coming off the main L/R channels, not ther sub out? Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

mapmustang said:
I'm looking into picking up a descent to add to my system pretty soon and had a question about something I read in the user manual. It says if you use the sub for Ht/stereo, to hook up the RCA outs from the preamp as well as the LFE channel. For the descent owners out there, does the RCA hookup make a substantial difference in the sound by using the low pass filter? Also I'm assuming those RCA connections are coming off the main L/R channels, not ther sub out? Thanks for any feedback.

Mark

I'll let others chime in also, but it really depends on how you want to impliment your bass management. Do you want bass management for 2 channel and multichannel? What type of processor are you using?

I'm using a B&K Ref 50 Preamp into a 5.1 setup right now. I will be using both 2 channel and 5.1, in pretty even amounts. The preamp has bass management, but I would like to know if the descent does a better job using the low pass filter?

I too have a B&K front end. However, i don't yet have a descent, so I can't speak to the quality of the decent low pass. I do think that the bass management in the B&K is quite good. I use only the LFE for bass management to control crossover and the slope for the low pass filter. My DVD-A/SACD player features bass management that works for two channel, which simplifies my connections. Ultimately, in 10-20 mins you can play with the bass management and fine tune which slope works best with with your ears. Depending on which version of the 50 you have, will determine how many notch filters you have. have you tried them, it has significantly tightened the quality of my low end.

Descent hook-up...

mapmustang said:

Mark
Mark,

Welcome to the ML Club!

My Pioneer 59Txi receiver (used as a processor) sends one RCA cable from the subwoofer out to my Descent's LFE (RCA) in-put jack on the subwoofer. I find the RCA connection good, although I wish, I had a balanced connection like the Anthem Statement D2 processor has... My Pioneer 59Txi does not have balanced connections, only RCA. Anyway, the low pass filter makes a big difference and sounds great to my ears. I have my Descents low pass filter set to 70Hz, which works very nicely in my system. I tried 40Hz and did not like it as well, for my ears anyway... ;) The 70Hz low pass filter setting gives the subwoofer more responsibility and a greater role in producing powerful (serov-powered) Bass punch which I need the for powerful dynamic of DTS, DTS-ES etc. sound of DVD films, which I play about 80% of the time. I also love the deeper richness of my Descent during two (really three) channel music playback. I have my Decent set to handle all of the bass during stereo (three channel) playing as well. :)

It's good to have you here. :D

HTH

I have tried three ways in my system: LFE only, used the pass, and ran two sets of interconnects-one set to the amp which drives my Aeons and one set to the stereo inputs on the descent (ie no pass). With the Aeons it is no contest-no pass is the best pass!

mapmustang said:

Mark

I just installed a Depth in a roughly 16x16' room, and I was testing various other subs. I run L/R pre-outs to the RCAs on the Depth for 2+ channel, and run LFE-out to the LFE-in for multichannel. The distinction is that for two-channel, you're letting the crossover in the sub handle bass management (sort of), whereas for multichannel, you're letting the pre/pro handle bass management. The ML subs match up well with their speakers, so they blend pretty seamlessly with the bass drivers in the panels for two-channel. I have Ascent is.

Back