Streaming music, how do I start?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spkrdctr

Reaction score
OK guys. I know we have some pretty smart guys on here. I do not stream music except from my Iphone 10Xr to my receiver using bluetooth. I use Amazon Music. Amazon offers Amazon Ultra HD with FLAC that I would like to use. I know diddly squat (OK, less than that even!) about making this happen. My question is, can I use my Iphone to somehow stream the music to my receiver? I know FLAC will not work over bluetooth. What do I need to buy or use to make it happen. I'd rather NOT use a computer.

I'm wondering what I need to buy to do this. Also, are the inputs on a my two year old receiver going to pass FLAC signals? I don't want to buy a setup to send it to the receiver and then find that inside the receiver or the inputs it can't really use the FLAC signal and send it to the speakers.. I want all the FLAC goodness if I do this. I want to make sure my system is REALLY honest to goodness using the FLAC file and giving me the real deal. So, how can I use my Iphone and do this the easiest cheapest way possible?
Thanks for your help. It's about time I started using current technology. :)

OK, checking my receiver manual, it seems that I have to somehow get the music from Amazon Music to the receiver using HDMI or I "think" an optical connection? Man, am I ignorant of this streaming........

Look into Sonos or Bluesound. Ive used Sonos now for whole house audio for the last 12 years. Works good and sounds great.

I know less than you. Im not sure if those work with FLAC. I stream from Napster and the bit rate is as good as anywhere and it sounds amazing on my Prodigy speakers.

Check out the other streaming thread.

I know diddly squat (OK, less than that even!) about making this happen. My question is, can I use my Iphone to somehow stream the music to my receiver? I know FLAC will not work over bluetooth. What do I need to buy or use to make it happen. I'd rather NOT use a computer.

Given you say this, I would think Robert's post above recommending Bluesound or Sonos is a great place to start for you. Particularly Sonos (for ease of use), even though Bluesound might give you more options. From what I know, Sonos systems are still hobbled at 16/44.1 - can anyone refute that?

Thank you guys for helping me. I checked into as much as I could and found that headphones are the number one way to listen to hi-res music.
It seems that in order to do this I have to spend serious money. The regular guy on the street (Joe six pack) is using headphones. If I don't want to use headphones I need to get the Sonos or bluesound but from what I saw it only works in stereo mode, not surround. So it appears to me that it is not ready for prime time yet unless I want to drop $1500 to $3000 for it and still no digital Hi-Res in surround. So unless someone knows if I'm not correct it is not for me. I do not want to use headphones after setting up my home system. So, until it goes mainstream (inexpensive) I will use what I have. Good old bluetooth quality sound, which actually sounds pretty darn good even though it is cool to trash it in almost any audio forum. It is universally available and works very well. Next up, I'm looking to maybe buy more power for my system. I think that will do more than anything.........I have Champagne tastes on a Beer budget!

Plug an apple thing (TV, Mini, whatever) or a Chromecast into an HDMI input on your receiver. Load the app onto your phone (amazon music) and send it to one of those (not Bluetooth, but via wireless). ~$50 to (Whatever apple $$$ you want to spend). That all assumes you have a wireless network already in existence. It's very simple, and requires no real investments. Chromecast will pass 24/96 no idea on apple. Enjoy. Forgot to mention all the other Amazon devices (Fire TV and what not). There are lots... and it's super simple.

It seems that in order to do this I have to spend serious money.

Not even close! In fact, as per my post on another thread, I'm amazed that anyone does spend "serious money" on this sort of stuff. This is computer stuff, commodity items, and cheap. And 100% reliable/accurate in what this stuff does.

If I don't want to use headphones I need to get the Sonos or bluesound but from what I saw it only works in stereo mode, not surround.

Does Amazon give you any more than two channels?

An yes, a Chromecast will work also. I can verify those little things can pass 24/96 okay. I'm not sure of the stability/quality of their optical outputs, but it'll be better than bluetooth, no question. As for HDMI audio, I've got no experience. But if you're plugging it into a receiver then I don't think it really matters.

If your receiver has optical in. You can look for a used Apple Airport Express, Then a mini optical (or an adapter) to regular optical cable. Using Airplay stream and control everything from your iPhone

I've just bought a few DTS-Play-fi enabled devices (Paradigm PW-Link * PW-Amp) to play with, and see what I can do with streaming (and combining it with a requirement to get whole-house audio going). ML also has Play-fi devices Unison, FOrte) and Speakers (Crescendo).

My biggest concern is that a few vendors (Paradigm, ML, etc.) seem to be dumping these devices as though they're discontinued. The DTS Play-fi spec allows for HD wireless distribution & streaming, but I don't know if it has a future with all this product dumping going on.

I have not had time to even take the devices out of their boxes yet - hopefully will get to it next weekend.

Might be worth having a look at the sites:
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/promotion/wirelesshttps://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless

Plug an apple thing (TV, Mini, whatever) or a Chromecast into an HDMI input on your receiver. Load the app onto your phone (amazon music) and send it to one of those (not Bluetooth, but via wireless). ~$50 to (Whatever apple $$$ you want to spend). That all assumes you have a wireless network already in existence. It's very simple, and requires no real investments. Chromecast will pass 24/96 no idea on apple. Enjoy. Forgot to mention all the other Amazon devices (Fire TV and what not). There are lots... and it's super simple.

Ok, I will look for the apple thing as I already have the Amazon Music app on my apple phone. I'm assuming, and it's a big assumption that my receiver will play the hi-res signal for sure in the left and right and then send the best signal it can to the other speakers automatically. Most receivers will convert pretty much anything to surround sound. The starting hi res input signal would be much higher quality with the 24/96 that an SD type of signal. Thanks for the info, I'm going to check it out.

Back