streaming help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
well i’m feeling i have to get into streaming because i’m having a hard time getting up and down and would like to just be able to select what i want to play! can u tell me what i need in order to do streaming? thank u

well i’m feeling i have to get into streaming because i’m having a hard time getting up and down and would like to just be able to select what i want to play! can u tell me what i need in order to do streaming? thank u
Depends on your hardware. The simplest way to do it is using a smart TV and just use the tv speakers.
Personally, I use an Apple tv plugged into my Marantz receiver, using an HDMI. Amazon makes one too, as well as Roku and Nvidia.
Even when using a receiver for home theater I'm pretty sure you can get sound from your tv's streamer by routing it through the ARC hdmi input on your receiver. I've never done it that way.

Welcome to 2006 !!

Streaming is great, but how you get into it will really depend on what you've already got, and whether you want to go through ripping all your own music, or just use something like Tidal or Qobuz.

As above, if all you want to do is stream - you've probably already got the equipment you need (at a basic level at least).

For music, I have a subscription to Tidal and Apple music. I use Netflix, Apple tv, HBO, Showtime, Paramount Plus, and more for movies. Our Verizon account comes with "free" Apple music, Hulu, and Disney.

I stream music with a dedicated streamer from Lumin, but if you're just starting out I would use something more simple. Prior to this I was using Sonos zone players.

Last edited:

An alternative would be to set up a computer server with your music library. For example I use a desktop PC to store my music library, using JRiver Music Center to manage it, and then use JRemote to control from my listening position.

@khenegar - glad to hear you're looking to dabble with streaming!
Can you let us know what equipment you have, and maybe a bit about what connections you have available (or maybe just those that you have used).

I stream high resolution (flac) audio files to my system with a Raspberry Pi running "Volumio", and a DAC from hifiberry.com. The media is stored on a device attached to my home network. This setup has been in use for about a year and so far so good. :)

I use my laptop with a 10' USB cord to the DAC of my SACD player. I subscribe to Qobuz for my music listening. I occasionally use Amazon Music which comes with my Amazon Prime membership.

My hifi dealer friend was just telling me about the WiiM Mini. You can connect it into RCA inputs on a preamp. You control it from your smartphone. It supports several services - Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon Music, Napster, etc. Normally around $100, but right now it's a "Lightning Deal" on Amazon for under $80. Seems like a simple, inexpensive entry into streaming, assuming your existing equipment does not have any streaming capability built-in.

My hifi dealer friend was just telling me about the WiiM Mini. You can connect it into RCA inputs on a preamp. You control it from your smartphone. It supports several services - Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, Amazon Music, Napster, etc. Normally around $100, but right now it's a "Lightning Deal" on Amazon for under $80. Seems like a simple, inexpensive entry into streaming, assuming your existing equipment does not have any streaming capability built-in.
The Wiim Pro is better, since it includes digital coax output (so you can use a higher quality DAC), and ethernet connectivity vs. WiFi/Bluetooth and Toslink only for the Mini.
The Wiim Pro ($150) is even better, as it includes ethernet connectivity (and other upgrades) vs. the original Wiim Mini. Here's a recent summary with a Wiim Mini vs. Pro comparison chart... WiiM Pro Network Player Supports TIDAL and Spotify Connect

I utilize the BluSound Node. I have Amazon HD music. Great service and the node delivers great clarity.

The Wiim Pro is better, since it includes digital coax output (so you can use a higher quality DAC), and ethernet connectivity vs. WiFi/Bluetooth and Toslink only for the Mini.
Huh?? The mini has USB - what more do you want?

Why would you use an old clunky SPDIF connector when you can use async USB?

Huh?? The mini has USB - what more do you want?

Why would you use an old clunky SPDIF connector when you can use async USB?
For a few extra dollars, the hardwire ethernet, Chromecast Audio, Google, Quadcore CPU, and a power trigger with the Pro model were nice features for my setup. And the central app on a tablet or smartphone is pretty slick as well.

Last edited:
I also use the Blusound Node with Amazon HD. The laptop app works well but needs to be restarted if it is not used( the app will not show the current song playing). Sound Quality is excellent. Ease of use of these streamers seems to be how well the control app works. If you peruse the support questions of the various companies they all seem to have similar complaints.
Always interested to hear other members experoence w/ other entry level streamers.

If @khenegar could give us a sense of budget and the current equipment in their system, we can probably offer more meaningful suggestions.

I know when I first started looking into streaming, it seemed incredibly complicated. It can be if you're trying to maximize performance in every way possible, but its easy enough to start with the basics and develop the system over time.

I will suggest Qobuz if high-resolution streaming is the goal. And getting away from bare-bones streaming, I love Roon combined with that. Roon simply pulls the stream from your service(s) - I believe limited to Qobuz and Tidal - but the UI and especially the “radio” feature are great, in my opinion. I have discovered a lot of new music using the service.

Back