Steley Dan - Aja - 30th Aniversary

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Steely Dan - Aja - 30th Aniversary

OK fellow "Black Pizza" spinners, whose received their Aja Lp and had a chance to "give 'er a spin" ??? Mine should be in today or tomorrow, gonna be a triple "H" weekend here in SE Pa, so audio and air conditioning seem to be in order !!

Last edited:
Dave,

I ordered mine about a week ago through Elusive Disc along with Rush's Snakes and Arrows on 180gm. vinyl. Checked the e-mail status and it was shipped a few days back...so I should see mine today or tomorrow...cannot wait!

I just listened to the original Aja pressing last night with copious amounts of wattage to re-familiarize myself with the recording. I'll tell you what, the original record sounded great, I can't imagine how much better this pressing is going to be! Fremer's review sounds real good and the original producer Gary Katz is on this again! Should be a great listening session. Hope that box is on my front step when I get home!

Same here in northern NJ, HHH, so AC and audio without a doubt! Also should be receiving the Eric Clapton/B. B. King album as well.

Sam

30 years? Has it really been 30 years? I guess it has hasn't it. Time does fly.

One of my all time favorite records; I'll have to try it.

I preordered mine from Acoustic Sounds and I am on pins and needles. I am also anxiously awaiting Tres Hombres. This will be my fifth different pressing of Aja, but the music is so great I just had to have it!

Its here!! Just got it from the mailman (woman) still warm in the box! mid 90's outside today.

Won't get a chance to listen until tonight or tomorrow....

These are serialized pressings, mine #1015

Attachments

• Aug 015b.jpg
    Aug 015b.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 195
Its here!! Just got it from the mailman (woman) still warm in the box! mid 90's outside today.

Won't get a chance to listen until tonight or tomorrow....

These are serialized pressings, mine #1015

Sam, I'm bummed, USPS arrived today and NO Aja !! Arghhhhh, gotta wait till Monday ! Enjoy, well I'll just have to listen to my original pressing and be ready to compare on Monday !

Dave, I'll be interested in reading your comparison notes, as I've been thinking about ordering this disk. (Like I need another copy!) I almost ordered it a few days ago, but ordered some others, instead.

Got mine yesterday and listened to it this AM Best pressing I have yet heard. Absolutely quiet and pristine. Less midbass than the MFSL and recorded at a higher level. More at the top. Less upper midrange than the original and much less compressed. This record is good for your mental health. Buy it now. Doctors orders!

Do you think any of the labels will come out with an SACD version of AJA ?

Do you have the original first pressing on ABC Records?

Hey Dave,
If you do, I would love to hear your comments. I have 4 copies of Aja and the best of the best in terms of dynamics, detail, and PRAT is still the original ABC. It beats the cr*p out of the MFSL release, the JAP ABC release, and the later non-gatefold US ABC records release.:rocker:

Cheers,
Ray

Do you think any of the labels will come out with an SACD version of AJA ?

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not a vinyl guy, but all this talk of the Aja release had me listening to my MFSL Gold copy and my copy of Gaucho on SACD. No comparison, The SACD version of Gaucho blows away my MFSL copy of Aja.

Steve, Ray, Hopefully USPS will have my LP today and I will be able to give you some kind of comparisson shortly.

Alright so last night I finally got to sit down, warm up the rig and play the 30th anniversary Aja release. I have to admit I did crank up the volume and why not, the original pressing I purchased 30 years ago does sound really good loud so why not this one too.

My first listening impressions were consistent across the entire album, that is in general all tracks have a more forward, natural, in-your-face and great sounding saxophone. I mean the brass is “there”. I can hear a lot more of the wind in the instrument and it sounded much more real compared to the original pressing. The cymbals are also very convincingly real, as though a better application of EQ was applied and also a bit higher in level. Very brassy, and you can clearly hear the drum stick attack on the cymbal. Any time the plucking rhythm guitar came in you could here a nice edge on the string as the player picked the notes, nice touch. In addition the rhythm guitars were recorded at a higher level whenever they would be the center instrument in the composition of the song as in a bridge. Any percussion seemed to be higher in level also, bringing out more of the support they provided to the momentum of the piece…I noticed this in all the tracks. As for Fagan’s’ voice, it seemed to me as though it were the same as the original recording, not much difference here, although it always sounded great anyway, centered, solid, and so unique.

On another note, someone play this album loud on your rig and tell me if there are faint voices just prior to “I Got The News” starts…and tell me someone was not speaking to me from the closet next to me while I sat in the dark playing this most excellent album…maybe it was my neighbors talking, but then again the windows were all closed.

Summed up, nice re-release. Most noticeable difference, the sax, clearer, much more convincing and centered image, very real between my ReQuests. I’ll be giving this a lot more listens…happy I made this purchase.

Sam

Hey Dave,
If you do, I would love to hear your comments. I have 4 copies of Aja and the best of the best in terms of dynamics, detail, and PRAT is still the original ABC. It beats the cr*p out of the MFSL release, the JAP ABC release, and the later non-gatefold US ABC records release.:rocker:

Cheers,
Ray

Ray, was the MFSL release mentioned above CD or vinyl? I'm curious, as the MFSL vinyl I own (not Aja) is excellent, as good as anything I own.

CD?!?!?!?! Perish the thought :)

Ray, was the MFSL release mentioned above CD or vinyl? I'm curious, as the MFSL vinyl I own (not Aja) is excellent, as good as anything I own.

Indeed. I was speaking to the LP. I didn't say the MFSL sounded bad. However, it does not compare with the original ABC release (shiny gatefold cover). The MFSL simply sounds thin and lifeless by comparison. The AJA recording is so good though, that really there is no truly horrible sounding release of Aja. The oriiginal is simply the cleanest and least "Hi Fi" sounding of the bunch; dynamic expression, pacing, and timing, are all intact.
:music:

I have a 1977 UK pressing...is that any good?? Sounds good to me :music:

I have a 1977 UK pressing...is that any good?? Sounds good to me :music:

Isn't that all that matters ????? BTW, did you know the answer to the trivia question that I PM'ed you ???

Ok. I ordered it, along with some other 180 and 200 gram vinyl. Recent albums received (yesterday)...
Anthony Wilson trio...our gang and Savivity
Donavon Frankenreiter...move by yourself
Holly Cole...Holly Cole
Aimee Mann...Lost in Space

I don't know about this retirement; I'm spending major bucks on new music! Gotta love it!

Back