Statement E2 possible in non-large room

• Thread starter Richard Throckmorton
  • Start date
MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bonedust said:
hmmm, after looking at that diagram, it may work out well. being against the back wall isnt ideal, but its also not the end of the world.

also, a few words of advice. i have heard bits and pieces of how goodwins has treated that set of Statements. Inspect everything with a jewelers eye before you buy them. At one point they had the sub sections in 4 pieces and inside these cabinets...not sure why...

i gotta tell ya, therer is NOTHING like the Statement sound!!!

Yes, that's always a concern. Goodwin's actually has two sets available. One is used, has custom cherry trim, and has the sub towers broken into four stacks of two. This was done to install into cabinets -- don't ask me why, seems like a terrible idea! They have pics on their website in the "Gallery" section. They cherry is too red for my tastes, plus I'd be concerned about the condition of the bass units.

The other is their store demo pair with maple trim. It is quite a bit less expensive and I would have to either see lots of pics of them (and their defects) or fly across the country to see them before biting the bullet.

Two pairs are also available at HigherFi.com but don't yet have the details. I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same units, but maybe not. I've inquired about them too.

At 50% or more off retail I don't expect them to be in perfect condition, but obviously I don't want a pair that's been beaten up or badly abused either...

Too bad the E2x are jumping up 50% in price, otherwise I might look into a new pair.

As far as listening next to the back wall, I avoided it for a long time but was quite surprised when I tried it several years ago when I had a 15' x 35' great room doubling as a media room. Any reflections hit the ear so fast after the direct sound they are ignored. I never went back to the speakers 1/3 out, chairs 1/3 out philosophy. John Dunlavy has written about this and felt that long wall speaker placement with seating on the other long wall was the best way to go. YMMV of course ;)

Last edited:
Richard-

Here's a rather sterling setup, and his room looks much smaller than yours too.

SM

Attachments

• e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 340
SugarMedia said:
Richard-

Here's a rather sterling setup, and his room looks much smaller than yours too.

SM

Thanks. That's a very sweet setup! The Statement e2 looks great in black, wish I could find a black (or walnut) pair on the second hand market. Seems like most of the e2 were made in maple.

The room looks like it may be a little bit wider than mine, maybe 19' or so, but the speaker-listening distance looks similar. Of course I will have a wall behind the listening position...

The picture seen above was in the Audio Advice (store) Earsay newsletter for April 2004. It's about a 700Kbyte PDF doc. See page seven for the Statement installation article, in a room which looks every bit like the space over a garage, or perhaps a bonus room in the peak of a house.

Newsletter archive link - look for Spring 2004

I personally think that I would have bought some slightly less-expensive speakers and had a custom home theater room added to the house.

Last edited:
I bet that Audio Research tube gear wasn't too happy getting stuffed in a rack with little ventilation...

Thanks for the link. Definitely does look like a finished off attic space.

Erictrostatic said:

FYI:
Hey, I just got my Cardas interconnects and in the associated paperwork is a bit about "plannar speaker" placement. Take the .618 (no I'm not leaving the "1" out buy accident like you did - not a dig) and multiply by Ceiling Height to get placement to rear wall (I think). Anyway, I'm sure this is all on the Cardas site, I just did not notice this before - cheers.

kach22i said:
FYI:
Hey, I just got my Cardas interconnects and in the associated paperwork is a bit about "plannar speaker" placement. Take the .618 (no I'm not leaving the "1" out buy accident like you did - not a dig) and multiply by Ceiling Height to get placement to rear wall (I think). Anyway, I'm sure this is all on the Cardas site, I just did not notice this before - cheers.

Kach22i,

Thanks for all your posts on this thread. My current speakers feature a ribbon tweeter and planar magnetic midranges but their back wave is damped. This facilitates placement close to the rear wall, thankfully because the speakers need the wall for bass reinforcement. Alas it ruins the purity of the midrange and treble because of cavity resonances along with distortion and impulse degradation from the reflected rear wave. I really think the only good implementations of planar drivers are full dipole and transmission line loading.

I would definitely relocate the absorption panels behind the speakers to the opposite wall should any dipole (including the E2) take residence in my room. I have owned dipoles before, specifically the Apogee Diva, and have a pretty good idea on what they like in terms of room placement. Cardas bases their 0.618 x ceiling height recommendation on the fact that dipoles minimize side wall reflections. However in my room with 10' ceiling, 6+ ft away from the wall is not necessary. From my experience with the Apogees, and also placement recommendations from M-L, Apogee, Magnepan, Soundlab, etc. 3-4 ft is a reasonable distance. That allows enough space for the reflected sound is sufficienty delayed, while also preventing most cancellation in the bass region. With the expected placement of the E2 in my room, with toe in the electrostatic panel (which I would put on the inside) would be 40-46" out from the wall, with the apex of the curve 44" out.

The curtains are there for the long haul, as wife spent $5k on them :mad: and likes the way they look. They are retractable, and if the room is too dead I could pull them back to expose painted drywall during serious listening.

The quarter round bass traps I now have are far too small to be of any use. They don't do any harm so I've left them up. With the bass towers of the E2 in the front corners, I would either have to purchase large round traps to control my standing waves (mainly 40hz and 70hz) or, more likely, rely on DSP correction.

Currently I'm trying to figure out if the EXOS crossover supplied with the E2 provides significant bass equalization, in addition to controls for phase, crossover frequency (60-90), and bass output level. I've been told that the "high" output of the E2 is basically just a pass through to the main amp, which then sends a full range signal to the passive crossovers incorporated into the dipole tower bases. The sub-bass towers are bipole rather than dipole (which would require a lot of equalization). Since the 12" woofers are in fairly small enclosure which appear to be sealed, some EQ is probably needed in the bottom octave. Maybe there is a Linkwitz transform in the E2's EXOS. In my smallish room, which has about 12dB/octave bass gain below 33hz, probably only a small amount of EQ will be needed to have flat in-room response to 20hz.

If there is none or only a small amount of EQ from the EXOS, The TacT RCS 2.2X would replace it, probably doing a much better job because it can implement zero phase FIR crossovers, while also facilitating perfect time alignment and room correction. Automatic time alignment of subs and main is faulty in the RCS, but with some external measuring software and a bit of math the exact delay can be measured and programmed. When the right alignment between the subs and mains is finally set, the result is quite stunning :cool:

kach22i said:
FYI:
Hey, I just got my Cardas interconnects and in the associated paperwork is a bit about "plannar speaker" placement. Take the .618 (no I'm not leaving the "1" out buy accident like you did - not a dig).

Hi,
He didn't leave out the "1", just expressed it backwards. If you divide 1 by .618, you get 1.618, it's just whether you mean width/length or length/width.

Peter

Peter Hogan said:
He didn't leave out the "1", just expressed it backwards.
Doing a little math exercise........................

14 feet wide room X 1.618 = 22.652 feet

22.652 long room X .618 = 13.99 or 14 feet

Golly gee, it is possible to learn something new everyday. :)

SteveInNC said:
The picture seen above was in the Audio Advice (store) Earsay newsletter for April 2004. It's about a 700Kbyte PDF doc. See page seven for the Statement installation article, in a room which looks every bit like the space over a garage, or perhaps a bonus room in the peak of a house.

Newsletter archive link - look for Spring 2004

I personally think that I would have bought some slightly less-expensive speakers and had a custom home theater room added to the house.

OMG :eek:
First time I've read about a Statement system setup and that they actually send a rep out from ML.

I wonder if used owners get the same treatment? :confused: :D

EricE said:
I wonder if used owners get the same treatment? :confused: :D

Funny you bring this up. I was talking to a local M-L dealer today (he helped deliver my Sony Qualia 006 TV set) and mentioned that I was considering purchase of a used pair of E2. He got very excited and told me about his trips to the homes of Gayle Sanders and Dan D'Agostino and how the Statement/Krell systems left a permanent impression on him.

If I go through with the purchase he will help me set them up. Also, he said he'd "pull a favor" at M-L and try to get one of their technicians out here too.

If he could do that for the price of a "pre-owned" set of statements that would be great :D

ML service at its best. I wonder what they actually do for their setup service.... :confused:

What do they actually do? Well they set it up with your help (only tricky thing is getting on the rear midbass grill cloth), get it reasonably good sounding, have lunch with you and then take the next plane out! The differences I made on my own tweaking over the next year or so thereafter made monumental differences to the sense of space, midrange tonality and bass quality.

Of great concern however is how this guy got suckered into buying a Descent for this system :eek:

Last edited:
I have been a fan of VMPS for a while and have read a good bit about the RM/x. By looking at your room treatments it appeard that you have followed Brian Cheney's suggestions on room set-up for them. He tends to favor more than just the cancellation of first reflections and leans more towards the LE/DE school of thought. As you had mentioned your room would need to be reconfigured to almost a full reversal of what the RM/x required.

Personally, I liked the look of your room treatments without the wall covering. I guess that is because my dedicated room looks very similar and I find tratments to have a certain functional beauty when set-up properly. Those curtains which I am sure really help in adding to the LE/DE structure of your room now, may harm the needing reflective, refractive and dispersing nature of the MLs for the front wall.

Dave

Dave, the curtains retract and could easily be motorized. I was fine with the panels by themselves too -- the fabric was a wife & interior decorator thing I got suckered into :eek:

The VMPS are monopoles as you know. If I make the transition back to dipoles I would relocate the absorption panels to the listening-half of the room and put some diffusers on the wall behind the speakers. The fabric only will absorb very high frequencies -- it is not acoustic grade material.

I also have plans to blow out the wall behind the speakers (which is exterior) 8.5' which would change the room from the current 14.5' x 17' with long wall speakers to 17' x 23' with short wall speakers.

I'm still looking for a suitable pair of E2. A black pair that I was going to buy suddenly became unavailable. There are two pairs at Goodwins, one of which is apparently a rather (ab)used demo which maybe have been the first pair built. The other is used and has a cherry finish, I think it was built in 2000. Alas it has a non-standard bass tower configuration -- the binding posts and wiring harnesses are built four four groups of two instead of two groups of four.

I've looked into another demo pair in California which are mint condition, current production and have full warranty. The trim is maple overpainted with red :eek: Unfortunately the asking price is very high.

It does seem there have been a good number of in-line changes to the E2. MSRP has increased from $70k at introduction to $80k later on to $94k currently. And I hear the E2x is going up to $120k. I've heard differing statements (all from knowledgable sources) on whether the original E2 panels can be upgraded to Xstat, maybe it depends on production date.

Everyone here seems to think that the Statements need to have a relatively live surface behind them (on the front wall). I've found this smears the soundstaging a bit as the Statements propel quite a bit of sound as compared to the Prodigies or reQuests. In fact I feel that I must have the drapes fully covering the front side for critical listening. The highs are still fully extended and airy and the midbass region is much improved. Behind my relatively thick drapes are Sonex panels in some areas. I'm not sure if this made a difference but I'm too lazy to remove it. :rolleyes:

I always thought the biggest advantage of dipoles was that there was no cabinet to produce colorations. Diffusing or partially absorbing the rear wave is generally a good idea -- thus the Sallies made by Sound Lab. Since the draperies we hung are moveable I could try they them spread out or retracted and every place in between. Though not acoustic grade they are effective at absorbing higher frequencies would are best not reflected around the room.

Barbados said:
Everyone here seems to think that the Statements need to have a relatively live surface behind them (on the front wall). I've found this smears the soundstaging a bit as the Statements propel quite a bit of sound as compared to the Prodigies or reQuests. .............The highs are still fully extended and airy
I'll have to admit that I have not heard the statements, and that my comments are based on the M/L line I've heard. The original Aerius speakers I have are rolled off on the top, they fixed that with the Aerius-i. I can see that many member systems have a wall of glass/window behind them, I'm thinking they benifit from a little extra high frequency reflection - something the "Statement" may not need as I now understand it.

build it and they will come

imo the m/l despite being large in appearence is a small signal design. I have only heard statement in a store. It did not "blow me away." I felt like I was in a small night club. get the staements. You can buy a new house later. :cool:

VMPS RM/X speakers

Hi Richard,
How do you like the VMPS RM/X speakers? How would you compare them to Martin Logan Prodigy or Summit speakers? How is their build quality and are they difficult to set up?

Have you sold them? What is their resale value like? Are they hard to sell when you want to trade-up?

Thanks

Back