Statement e2 being discontinued... your thoughts

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomDac

former MLO owner/operator
Reaction score
I received email from a member here on the site that said he heard MartinLogan is discontinuing the Statement e2 and if I could check my sources at ML to see if it was true.

Devin @ ML corporate confirmed this.

Let's discuss.. What are your thoughts on this?

TomDac said:
I received email from a member here on the site that said he heard MartinLogan is discontinuing the Statement e2 and if I could check my sources at ML to see if it was true.

Devin @ ML corporate confirmed this.

Given the new corporate structure, one of two things may be going on. 1.) refine the product line to reflect the changes in the new esl panel i.e new statement being developed or 2.) eliminate the uber highend product to focus on volume deliveries. In this case volume is a realtive term.

The statement represents the pinnacle of legacy ML design. I would hate to think that they would no longer produce them. However, considering the cost to produce, they may not have desireable margins under the new umbrella. I hope I'm wrong, not that I could afford one :p

I think for any industry, producing a flagship product that stretches your ability has a positive effect on the rest of your product line. You tend to put passion first and profit second which allows people to be at their creative best.

It would be sad if ML stops making a statement product all together. Just look at the "high-end" competition, everyone has one product that reaches for the stars and then uses their learning’s to drive the development and improvement of the rest of their product range. Without it, how do you prevent yourself from becoming mediocre and just part of the herd.

To me ML must continue to invest in R&D to produce state of the art design and function. That is who they have always been, lets hope that MLs culture is not based on only one mans vision and passion. Otherwise the company has been purchased by yet another heartless and soulless conglomerate that ultimately will suck the essence from ML which we have seen happen to many other great names in audio....Steve

TomDac said:

Well, in my opinion the statements were indeed a statement: "because we can". I don't think the guys at ML need to use 2 figures to write down how many they sell per year - one might be enough. These 800 pound gorillas are not only extremely expensive, they are also too big in their physical and technical requirements. BTO would be an option, but I guess that the new management at ML is much more profit-oriented than the old one. I won't miss the statements, but I definitely miss something haut-de-gamme, in the 20-30k$ range, which might make me dream without nightmares.

lugano said:
Well, in my opinion the statements were indeed a statement: "because we can". I don't think the guys at ML need to use 2 figures to write down how many they sell per year - one might be enough. These 800 pound gorillas are not only extremely expensive, they are also too big in their physical and technical requirements. BTO would be an option, but I guess that the new management at ML is much more profit-oriented than the old one. I won't miss the statements, but I definitely miss something haut-de-gamme, in the 20-30k$ range, which might make me dream without nightmares.

I agree with that, I think ML could go a model or two over the Summits without going to the extreme of the E2. Look at JM Labs and Wilson Audio, you do not have to buy their full out statement speakers to get most of what they have to offer in a smaller form factor and more managable price......Steve

I agree with the opinons so far.

I think ML should still offer the Statements on a special order basis for those who want it. I would continue to develop "the no holds barred technology" to the exisiting line for improvements (within economical reasons) and for future product enhancements endeavors.

This like any business and similar to most of the business models it is profit driven not emotionally driven and to a point it is not technologically driven either. The bottom line here is no matter how good the product/service maybe and how emotionally one feels about this is, if there is no profit made after the service is offered ,they will flounder and die.

I think ML has proven what they can do and now needs to continue to to push the envelope with new designs, models and evolve.

Jeff :cool:

You always need a top of the line product that depicts a company's sheer ability to create. The Statements are it.... I was hoping for news of a revision rather than a discontinuation.

*Sigh*.... :( .

UUUUMMMMMMMMM……

Ya, I thought the Statement E2 was discontinued to make way for the E2X?

I thought the E2’s were cool to look at and I would love to hear a pair but I would never own a set. Being that the Statements have to survive in such a limited market I can’t say I am surprised they would discontinue them.

Last edited:
ML Has No Statement...

IMHO, I think it is a very sad turn of events. I loved the fact that ML R&D'ed the Statement E2, as the "What if" in electrostatic hybird speaker design. The Statement E2 was in all of their literature. In fact, if you recall in the ML product line pamphelet, each speaker is compaired is some way with how it's electrostaic panels were somehow similar to the Statement E2. My Ascent i's were contrasted to the Statement E2's...
Now what is ML going to compare their products to, when their is no ML Statement? I suppose they will just re-write the product pamphelet, without the Statement E2... :(

I think the Statement E2, should be continued to be R&D'ed, up graded and built every year as ML statement to the audio world, but in a limited way as it is now. I know they only manufacture about ten of these units per year, and they charge what they need to and they also have no problems selling them all..., to the rich, and to the audiophiles that want them. Their is a market and it is profitable. IMHO, it's necessary to continue to R&D to push the envelop and the Statement E2 makes this possible. The Statement E2 really is one of the speakers that makes ML speakers unique and audiophile high-end cutting edge. I guess, I am in agreement with Gale Sanders orginal concept idea of the ultimate ML speaker system. But then Gale is no longer there is he, only corporate giant, Shoreview industries... :rolleyes:

Maybe, the bottom line is all that counts anymore, but that is very sad news to me. I think Audio R&D should always push for the very best that can be, but apparently not at ML anymore... It's astonishingly very sad news indeed... I am / was hoping to purchase a used Statement E2, someday. I probably still will, but it will just be a Statement from 2005 or older, from the glory days, of Martin Logan, when they really wanted to know what could be possible... :eek: The only realistic statement that can be offered is, "ML has no Statement"... :(

Last edited:
Maybe the Statment E2 is dated.

With the Summit replacing the Prodigy & Odyssey it's no suprise that they can do more with less.

Did any of you hear about the 'Everest' which is a step above the Summit?

Attachments

• everest.jpg
    everest.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Are they being replaced by anything? I think it is essential for a high-end manufacturer to have a product like the Statement. It shows they are "serious" and what they are genuinely capable of. So even if you are buying a lesser model, the brand is still "positioned" by the top-of-the-range model. My 2 cents.

SugarMedia said:
Maybe the Statment E2 is dated.

With the Summit replacing the Prodigy & Odyssey it's no suprise that they can do more with less.

Did any of you hear about the 'Everest' which is a step above the Summit?

Sweeeeet!!!!

I'll put in my pre-order today!

Does the sub amp go up to 11?

Last edited:
Zip3kx07 said:
I thought the E2’s were cool to look at and I would love to hear a pair but I would never own a set.
Joe...I had the great fortune to hear the E2's and they were wonderful, even in the poor setting/room they were in.

Would I ever own a pair? If I had the room and the unlimited $$$ required to purchase and run them, why not!!! :D

Dan

DTB300 said:
Joe...I had the great fortune to hear the E2's and they were wonderful, even in the poor setting/room they were in.

Would I ever own a pair? If I had the room and the unlimited $$$ required to purchase and run them, why not!!! :D

Dan

One of my dealers in Phoenix, AZ got the opportunity to go to Kansas and take the ML tour along with the audition of Gale Sanders E2 setup. So I am told it is an incredible experience to be in the presence of the statements. The bass is supposed to be flat out amazing, along with the incredible soundstage.

Like I said, I would love to listen to a pair, I have no desire to own a pair.

Statement e2...

Zip3kx07 said:
UUUUMMMMMMMMM……

Ya, I thought the Statement E2 was discontinued to make way for the E2X?

I thought the E2’s were cool to look at and I would love to hear a pair but I would never own a set. Being that the Statements have to survive in such a limited market I can’t say I am surprised they would discontinue them.
Joe,

According to this information on the ML Home web-site the Statement e2x is what is currently being offered:

http://www.martinlogan.com/itscoming/Statement_e2x.asp

Possibly the Statement e2 is no longer being offered, but the Statement e2x maybe the replacement...

Tom,

Tom, the Statement e2 is being discontinued, but according to the ML web-site the Statement e2x is what they are offering at this time... ;) Are you sure ML is planning to discontinue the Statement e2x...? As it is their newest Statement model and of course much different than the Statement e2...

Although they are great speakers and the ultimate in ML design lets be honest here, how many of us can actually afford $125,000 USD for a speaker system. How many of us have the room for such a speaker setup and the associated electronics. This is not small investment and I would venture to say that one would actually spend in the neighborhood of $200,000 USD with everything else that is involved.

I talked with Jim P. today and he stated yes they are likely going to stop producing them. He said they have not made or sold a "set" in over a year. He also stated they are very expensive to build and not really a profit driven item at or had been anytime of their history.

As far as giving up on "Gayle's ultimate dream" that is just pure crap. They are continuing forward. Gayle is there (Kansas - he lives in southern California now) at least twice a month overseeing and understanding what is taking place. The only evidence of Shoreview, at this point and the foreseeable future is there i "deeper" pocketbook to drawn funds for R&D. Gayle mortgaged his life early on to start this company. His dreams were realized and his personal satisfaction has been achieved. I believe any one of us would be doing the same as he and his life with the sacrifices he has made to make ML what it is today.

So yes it may be somewhat melancholy that the Statement and the variations will be a thing of the past but life must progress and move forward. So quit whining.

On a side note:
As far as the Everest, I think it is not real. From an acoustic stand point having drivers in a cabinet in that configuration would cause too much back wave and collision within that small of space. Jim P was unaware of it.

The Stage is still not complete and similar to what Joey has stated. Jim said he saw another prototype a few days ago. It will be narrower due to the panel and have wood trim. As far as offering many different trims is still a guess. We both agreed the price is too much!! :eek:

Also, in the next few weeks ML will releasing a new ETC Spikes better than the current version. The current version with the "screw-type" bottom will be changed. The bottom of this is actually brass and we all know this is very soft and has a tendency to break. The newer ones will be harder, not brass (I forgot what metal he told me) and cost the same as the current spikes.

Jeff :cool:

Joey_V said:
Uh oh... linky no worky. :(
I think this proves that Martin Logan watches us, or just a coincidence that they pulled the "it's coming" section off the website this afternoon. :D

Jeff Zaret said:
As far as the Everest, Jim P was unaware of it.

Jeff-
Yeah I bet he's never heard of it. It certainly could be a Top-secret addition to the ML line up and they don't want it leaked to the press this soon in the game. These Russian websites seem to get interesting news before the rest of us. Take for example the "Vista" Aeons replacement... it's all over the Russian sites if you google it.

And what about this one...??

Attachments

• cls.jpg
    cls.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Jeff Zaret said:
I talked with Jim P. today and he stated yes they are likely going to stop producing them. He said they have not made or sold a "set" in over a year. He also stated they are very expensive to build and not really a profit driven item at or had been anytime of their history.
And the same reason for discontinuing the CLS line - a business decision must be made on demand versus production cost and unfortunately the CLS and it "appears" the E2 will follow this path.

As far as giving up on "Gayle's ultimate dream" that is just pure crap.
The dream is still going for Gayle...so giving up is not a valid statement (no pun intended)

So quit whining.:
OH come on..please...pretty please...awwww...darn...come on Jeff.......

The Stage is still not complete and similar to what Joey has stated. Jim said he saw another prototype a few days ago. It will be narrower due to the panel and have wood trim. As far as offering many different trims is still a guess. We both agreed the price is too much!! :eek: :
I also agree. If the prices of the ML Centers was reduced to reflect their performance versus their price, they would not be able to keep them on the shelves.

Dan

Latest posts

Back