STAGE!!! is up on Martin Logan website!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig said:
There are other speakers with better build quality than ML and priced lower. One example are Sonus faber speakers. Take a look at the Cremonas. They're a beautiful speaker and the cabinet work is exceptional. Fine Italian craftsmanship at work here. However, the sound quality was not as good as the Summits or even the lower priced Vantage in my opinion. The main differnce being the bass was not as deep and tight and it was not as detailed as most E-stat speakers.

The new line of ML speakers could be improved in the cabinetry area. I like they way they did the aluminum framed electrostat panel but I would like to see hand built cabinets from solid wood with rounded corners instead of the veneer cabinets with sharp corners. However, the costs of the speaker would then have to increase significantly. I agree that $3.5k, $5k or $10k is a lot for a speaker but I don't think there is anything that can beat these models in those price ranges for full-range sound quality.
It just seems like the old line looked nicer; the stuff they're doing now looks cheap

attyonline said:
Troll time! ;)
So if I give my opinion or speak the truth without kissing your arse, I'm a troll? A little healthy debate is a good thing. Otherwise this forum is just about kissing MLs arse whilst they rake in the bucks and we sit on our arses not earning a penny off of all of this!

ovature said:
It just seems like the old line looked nicer; the stuff they're doing now looks cheap
That's a valid opinion, though I digress and still believe that the new line looks nicer than the old line. Never really dug the ML look until recently. Just me.

ovature said:
So if I give my opinion or speak the truth without kissing your arse, I'm a troll? A little healthy debate is a good thing. Otherwise this forum is just about kissing MLs arse whilst they rake in the bucks and we sit on our arses not earning a penny off of all of this!

We earn a penny how?

You think they'll completely change their build process to satisfy what a small percentage of ML owners feel is necessary to justify the exorbitant costs?

It's one thing to sit on your arse, it's another to have no discretionary measure in posting on a public forum.

My attempt to save this thread...

So I have a question regarding the Stage mounting bracket....or Theater,etc.

It looks like these speakers can be either wall or ceiling mounted.

I've always accepted the fact that you need to provide some space behind the speaker due to the dipole nature. So should I assume that the Stage (or Theater) bracket is sized for such spacing, i.e. the speaker is spaced far enough out from a wall? Or would ceiling mounting be a better route? :confused:

Or, should I save some money and install a Voyage as a center channel? Anyone have experience with the Voyage and how it compares with the Theater?

Thanks! :)

You have a good question there Crawdaddy.... you do need some space for these dipole speakers, but I've seen many who dont give any space at all for their center speaker yet they report good sonics. I guess a little absorption/diffusor panels behind the center would be a good idea if need be.

Regarding the mount, others with centers will chime in.

The mounting brackets on all the ML center channels will work for wall mounting, but not the best option. They only allow for about 6” of space from the wall to the bass boxes. It works but its not optimal, if I had to wall mount my theater center channel I would put an acoustic treatment on the wall first. My biggest fear would be the back wave of the ESL reflecting off the rear wall and colliding with the front wave and smearing the sound.

Take care, :)

Last edited:
Center Speaker Mounting...

Crawdaddy and Joey,

I can't speak to ML's new Stage Center speaker, as I have not even auditioned one let alone even seen one up-close and personal, but I did have had to make some very special mounting modifications as far as mounting my Theater i to the wall behind my 43" Pioneer Plasma monitor... As my HT audio / visual gear is set-up uses the diagonal axis of my HT room to take advantage of the negative space of my small HT room (12' x 11'). I had my son fabricate a special angled (wall mount) wooden base, which we painted and then mounted (bolted) to the wall. The base mount, my son, made out of 2" x 6" pine. We then mounted (bolted) the Theater i on to the base. The dipole sound from the ESL bounces off the back angled wall, sounds great... :D

I guess every-ones HT rooms will differ, however I would think, Joey's idea of absorption / diffuser panels is practical and could work. You would have to try it and see how it sounded, to your ears without, then with the absorption / diffuser panels behind your center speaker. ;)

Last edited:
From the ML Site:

Stage
Ultimate-Performance Electrostatic Center Speaker
'Scuse me...

Only in terms of what you can buy at a store ;)

Truly, nice to see them release it, I wonder what the reviews will be like.

about the bass box being close to the wall ... isn't it the same with the Scripts anyway?

I'd like to hear the Stage. But I'm more curious now, how much is a second-hand Theater?

JonFo said:
From the ML Site:

'Scuse me...

Only in terms of what you can buy at a store ;)

Truly, nice to see them release it, I wonder what the reviews will be like.
I care not a whit for reviews, since the only review that matter to me in what I think.

twich54 said:
Sorry to hear you don't like the new M/L's, I knew there was a reason I couldn't sleep last nite. On a more serious note, being a owner of one of the "newer pieces of junk" that you descibe I like to spend my time listening to great music being produced through my Vantage's rather that trying to "peel the venner off", obviously your Mommy and Daddy didn't give you enough playtime in your sandbox.
Clearly your mommy didn't teach you not to throw your money away on overpriced junk. I was composing and recording music while you were playing in your sandbox and you obviously got sand in your ears if you think the vantage sounds like real music. It's a glorified boom box/jukebox/boat anchor with bad veneer and an ugly squared off box that the panel mounts to. SO CHEAP LOOKING, SO UGLY, SO PLAIN, SO TRITE, SO WHAT!!!!

ovature said:
Clearly your mommy didn't teach you not to throw your money away on overpriced junk. I was composing and recording music while you were playing in your sandbox and you obviously got sand in your ears if you think the vantage sounds like real music. It's a glorified boom box/jukebox/boat anchor with bad veneer and an ugly squared off box that the panel mounts to. SO CHEAP LOOKING, SO UGLY, SO PLAIN, SO TRITE, SO WHAT!!!!

I really dont get what you are trying to do...

So you dont like the new designs... fine. But why do you have to impose your opinions on so many others? Why continuously call it ugly, cheap, boom box sounding... what are you trying to accomplish?

I figured you'd have a lot more class than that... especially seeing that you are a Radiologist.

Apparently, contrary to what I used to believe, those medical school interviews arent 100% fool-proof... they still let some idiots into medical school.

Last edited:
Junk

Joey_V said:
I really dont get what you are trying to do...

So you dont like the new designs... fine. But why do you have to impose your opinions on so many others? Why continuously call it ugly, cheap, boom box sounding... what are you trying to accomplish?

I figured you'd have a lot more class than that... especially seeing that you are a Radiologist.

Apparently, contrary to what I used to believe, those medical school interviews arent 100% fool-proof... they still let some idiots into medical school. No wonder US health care isnt even in the top 10 in the world.
Just because you bought overpriced junk doesn't mean you should call someone who is much more accomplished than you careerwise an idiot. You sir, need to take a good hard look at yourself and ask why you define yourself by your speakers!!

ovature said:
Just because you bought overpriced junk doesn't mean you should call someone who is much more accomplished than you careerwise an idiot. You sir, need to take a good hard look at yourself and ask why you define yourself by your speakers!!

This has nothing to do with one's persona being defined by speakers... this has to do with having the tact and responsibility inherent in public forum posting. You, sir, have none. You need to take a look at your argument before making non-sensical posts.

Besides, how are you so much more accomplished than me? It wont be long before I catch up to you. Besides, your kind is being outsourced as we speak.

Last edited:
lets stick to the title of the thread everyone..... its about the stage, not people's egos.

Joey_V said:
This has nothing to do with one's persona being defined by speakers... this has to do with having the tact and responsibility inherent in public forum posting. You, sir, have none. You need to take a look at your argument before making non-sensical posts.

Besides, how are you so much more accomplished than me? It wont be long before I catch up to you. Besides, your kind is being outsourced as we speak.
Wrong idiot. There is a nationwide shortage of radiologists; that's the reason for outsourcing. Let's see you finish med school and make it all the way through a rad program before you open up your big mouth

attyonline said:
A troll radiologist? Woww! :)
Better than a jackass liar lawyer who rips people off. I save lives. You and the rest of your profession DESTROY them!! :mad:

Back