STAGE Center Channel?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOGANLOVE

Reaction score
Does anybody know the status of the supposed "stage" center channel? Was it intended to replace the Theater i? It has been on the coming soon page of Martin Logan website for over a year. Any news would be helpful
Thanks

ML "Stage" - Coming soon to a HT near you...

LOGANLOVE said:
Does anybody know the status of the supposed "stage" center channel? Was it intended to replace the Theater i? It has been on the coming soon page of Martin Logan website for over a year. Any news would be helpful
Thanks
LOGANLOVE,

Nothing new yet... Unfortunately, the same information about ML's "Stage" as was in this prior thread, I'm afraid... :eek:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1379&highlight=Stage

HTH

I talked with Jim P again this week at ML for other reasons and he said that he has seen in it different forms going and coming throughout the factory. From what I understand it is similar to the Theater i but with the new "Stat" panel. I think beyond that they are still deciding the final form and IMHO they are having issues with making it noticably better than the Theater i.

Jeff :cool:

Jeff Zaret said:
I talked with Jim P again this week at ML for other reasons and he said that he has seen in it different forms going and coming throughout the factory. From what I understand it is similar to the Theater i but with the new "Stat" panel. I think beyond that they are still deciding the final form and IMHO they are having issues with making it noticably better than the Theater i.

That’s what it sound like, there having problems makes a smaller center equal the theaters performance. It will replace the Theater center, but physically be about size of the cinema center with XStat technology, so the performance is suppose to be as good if not better than the Theater.

I would say when Martin Logan is happy with the Stage we will get it, and not before.

i wish they would release some "concept" photos for it. would be veru interested if it matches the new look or if it will still blend with the old looks.

I hope the Stage comes out soon as I want to see what they will do with the new XStat technology. That said, with all the delays and re-workings of the Stage's design, I think that the Vista (the Aeon replacement) will be out in dealers before the Stage will.

If the design of the Vista is being finalized and slated to be out in June.... the Stage shouldnt be much longer than that.

I hope. :eek:

Last edited:
Big Sonic Shoes to Fill...

I think ML has to develop the Stage to fill some rather large sonic shoes, the Theater i has left. All of the ML cone driver technology has been the balance at the upper and lower ends of the spectrum for the huge Theater i. The three soft cone speaker array of the Theater i delivers incredible upper register highs while the two 6 1/2" woofers on either side of the Theater i provides great lower level detail with forceful imagery. I believe part of the problem may very possible be that the Xstat panel might not be capable to produce all of the sonic scale and be smaller than the current Cinema center. I am genuinely very curious to see if the Stage is smaller. IMHO I believe it will have to be the size of the current Theater i, maybe not as heavy or boxy looking, but who knows the Stage may need to have powered 4" - 6" woofers to deliver the sonic scale effectively. The current Theater i's frequency response is 75 - 22,000 Hz with cross over frequency at 300, 3000 Hz at 6 ohms, 250 watts max power. As I say big sonic shoes to fill indeed. It will be interesting to see just what ML engineers and designers come up with to surpass their outstanding Theater i as far as sonic range and performance are concerned. I think the difficulty in the development is a testimony to the excellence of Theater i. I think it's proving to be a harder ML "center channel" act to follow, than ML originally supposed... :D

Last edited:
Robin said:
I think ML has to develop the Stage to fill some rather large sonic shoes, the Theater i has left. All of the ML cone driver technology has been the balance at the upper and lower ends of the spectrum for the huge Theater i. The three soft cone speaker array of the Theater i delivers incredible upper register highs while the two 6 1/2" woofers on either side of the Theater i provides great lower level detail with forceful imagery. I believe part of the problem may very possible be that the Xstat panel might not be capable to produce all of the sonic scale and be smaller than the current Cinema center. I am genuinely very curious to see if the Stage is smaller. IMHO I believe it will have to be the size of the current Theater i, maybe not as heavy or boxy looking, but who knows the Stage may need to have powered 4" - 6" woofers to deliver the sonic scale effectively. The current Theater i's frequency response is 75 - 22,000 Hz with cross over frequency at 300, 3000 Hz at 6 ohms, 250 watts max power. As I say big sonic shoes to fill indeed. It will be interesting to see just what ML engineers and designers come up with to surpass their outstanding Theater i as far as sonic range and performance are concerned. I think the difficulty in the development is a testimony to the excellence of Theater i. It's proving to be was a hard ML "center channel" act to follow... :D

There was a rumor floating around that has yet to be confirmed or denied that eventually ML will upgrade the Theater to XStat and add powered woofers, making it a better match to that Vantage and Summit.

Considering the stage is supposed to perform equal to, if not better than the theater, at about the size of the cinema and a price tag comparable to the theater i’s price. I wonder what a Theater Xstat would coast?

We will just have to wait and see.

Anyone care to call Martin Logan to see if the Theater i has a Life after death?

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
I'll do it!
Your mission if you should choose to except it.

You must call Martin Logan, infiltrate their security and get to the bottom of this center channel business. As always if you should be captured we will deny your existence and Carrey on with our daily speculation.

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.

Stage...

Zip3kx07 said:
Your mission if you should choose to except it.

You must call Martin Logan, infiltrate their security and get to the bottom of this center channel business. As always if you should be captured we will deny your existence and Carrey on with our daily speculation.

This message will self destruct in 5 seconds.
Joe,

:D Good one...

IM 3 is coming soon to our Theater / Stage real soon... :D
It is said to be better than the previous two IM's.

The way I understood it from Jim P was that they were having issues with trying to improve perfomance to be greater than the existing model, Theater i. There are many issues and variables within its design or any new product.

What would the advantage be in having a powered woofer in a center channel design? How much is low frequencies are actually delievered there and at what cost in design and manufacture?

If this was the case you are probably looking at a center channel speaker in the $3k range. IMHO, this is a bad move because you can buy other products ML and no ML that will do just as good a job for center channel presentation for less money.

As far as seeing a design, come on folks, when was the last time GM, Porsche, etc, or any stereo manufacture would tip their hand and show what they are thinking so the competition can jump on the bandwagon. This is why they show "proof" of concept and an idea of a design at a trade show and technology booth. The audio market is fickle, so ever fleeting and short lived why hurt yourself by showing others what you want to do.

Just relax and wait. If you really want a ML center by what they currently have. I personally do not see the huge jump in technology of their new "Stage" to run out and buy one.

Jeff :eek:

Jeff Zaret said:
The way I understood it from Jim P was that they were having issues with trying to improve perfomance to be greater than the existing model, Theater i. There are many issues and variables within its design or any new product.

What would the advantage be in having a powered woofer in a center channel design? How much is low frequencies are actually delievered there and at what cost in design and manufacture?

If this was the case you are probably looking at a center channel speaker in the $3k range. IMHO, this is a bad move because you can buy other products ML and no ML that will do just as good a job for center channel presentation for less money.

As far as seeing a design, come on folks, when was the last time GM, Porsche, etc, or any stereo manufacture would tip their hand and show what they are thinking so the competition can jump on the bandwagon. This is why they show "proof" of concept and an idea of a design at a trade show and technology booth. The audio market is fickle, so ever fleeting and short lived why hurt yourself by showing others what you want to do.

Just relax and wait. If you really want a ML center by what they currently have. I personally do not see the huge jump in technology of their new "Stage" to run out and buy one.

Jeff :eek:

The integration between the stat panel and the woofers, wile very good, does leave a little to be desired. I thought the integration between the woofer and stat was very good on my ascents till I auditioned the summit (boy was I wrong), I now know what its like to listen to the CLS. The summit was defiantly a wake up call to what seam less integration really is, and I would love to see if Martin Logan could do it again with the Theater.

I personally don’t car to own the stage, I am happy with my theater, and if the stage is every thing I read it to be I don’t see a reason to upgrade. But when the Stage does come out I will audition one out of curiosity.

Lastly, most of us are impatient to see the Stage be cause ML told us about it the same time as the summit over a year ago, and keep pushing back its release. It’s been over a year now and no Stage? The real reason I wanted to know more about it was to see if it would be worth it to upgrade from the theater center, and from what I read…NO it doesn’t sound like it, so unless ML makes a better theater I think I will keep what I got.

:cool:

Stage Beauty...

Joe and Jeff,

Wouldn't it be nice to audition a Stage, which really showed us what the new influx of capital has accomplished at ML, visa vee Shoreline industries positive capital outlay influence on ML's design and development. The Stage would be the first true tangible evidence "out of the pipeline" (since the Shoreline purchase) of what has been accomplished at ML. The Stage would represent real proof of Shroeline's real product improvement at ML. The Stage could represent a whole new era for ML - 'rising the bar' of ML's product line - directly benefiting from Shoreline's capital investment in ML... ;)
Wouldn't it be nice... :)

My Magnolia Hi-Fi (store manager) estimates ML's Stage would be at least $3,000.00, or more, about $200 - $800 more than the Theater i $2895.00 current price tag. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Robin,
I think think the Stage was developed long before Shoreline was in the picture and what ever they are offering now will have little effect on the final product.
Like I said I would have to think long and hard about spending $3k on a center channel. My money does not come easy

Jeff Zaret said:
Like I said I would have to think long and hard about spending $3k on a center channel. My money does not come easy
$3k for a center channel is a lot to ask for what it does. I have heard all the center channels by ML, and the Theater is the only one with reasonable performance. But IMHO, that performance is not worth the current asking prices of $2800 or so new. If the center channels were more reasonably priced for their performance, I would consider buying a ML Center.

One thing I considered when auditioning the ML Centers, compared to their other speakers. Does the center out perform say a Script, Aeon, Aerius, or SL3? Remember I am comparing price versus performance?

The big wrench thrown in here is: these non-center speakers do not fit very well above or below a TV :D But if one were to pay for "one" of those non-center channels (which we know are not sold that way) and they out perform the other specific ML center's, I cannot see paying the cost for a true ML Centers. Just my opinion here. Flame away if you want, but I just cannot justify it. And like Jeff, money does not come easy.

Dan

Dan and Jeff, I agree with both of you , that is one of reasons I'm content with using a Fresco for now. I for one feel that the money could be better served in a better video delivery ie. projection vs. "TV".

twich54 said:
Dan and Jeff, I agree with both of you , that is one of reasons I'm content with using a Fresco for now. I for one feel that the money could be better served in a better video delivery ie. projection vs. "TV".

So you feel even though the center channel delivers about 80% of the audio for a Dolby digital/DTS movie, it would be better to put your money in the TV as apposed to the center speaker that does most of the work?

Not at all Joe ! I think "TV" is a distant second best to Front Projection, I am old enough to remember when going to the theatre meant "the BIG screen" and the image was projected from behind you.

I trully understand the importance of the center channel, I just felt Dan's comment was a fair and accurate one. I understand the 80% thing but don't loose sight of the "BIG" picture !!

Stage...

Jeff Zaret said:
Robin,
I think think the Stage was developed long before Shoreline was in the picture and what ever they are offering now will have little effect on the final product.

Jeff,

The Stage is still in development and has been since Shoreline has acquired ML. Shoreline has been paying the bills for months now... ;) I expect the finial Stage will have had the benefit and full financial support of Shoreline's influence on ML. For this reason, I have big expectations of ML's Stage. IMHO, I continue to believe it is the first ML speaker yet to be released with Shoreline's capital four square behind it. :)
All specularion aside, I agree with you, I think we will have to simply just have to wait and see.

Latest posts

Back