Squeezebox External Power Supply

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtwrace

Reaction score
Does anyone use one? If so, which one? Results? I'm thinking about making my own. Just do not want to spend a bunch of time to do it and it not really sound any better. Mine would look cool-either CNC aluminum or Carbon Fiber enclosure.

Most people appear to be using the Elpac WM075-1950-760. Our own sleepysurf is one of them. The Elpac can be bought at DigiKey:
http://rocky.digikey.com/scripts/ProductInfo.dll?Site=US&V=166&M=WM075-1950-760

DigiKey's price is prohibitive, though, probably because this model is being phased out and in short supply.

I am also considering to build my own, and have found a few promising linear power supplies. I have not searched for enclosures yet.

In my quest for one I found this at welbornelabs.com I would then make my own chassis/enclosure. I would CNC alum or Carbon Fiber. I could make many if enough members wanted them. I need to finish one project that I am doing that has turned into a nightmare...I just want to make sure that an external PS will do anything rather than take time and money. Any thoughts? Make one without an enclosure try it and then decide?

The power supply we use for the Squeezebox is here PSREGHC2
http://www.welbornelabs.com/psreghc.htm Yes, they are available assembled.

You would need a chassis box, fuseholder/fuse, power cord, switch and cable
to the squeezebox

I was fortunate the get the Elpac PSU for $20, before everybody jumped on the linear PSU bandwagon, driving prices up for the remaining Elpac stock. Frankly, I'm not sure the improvement in fidelity is worth more than $50 or so, but YMMV.

If you are dead set on getting/building a linear PSU, do a search with keyword *linear* on the Slimdevices forum, and you'll get an earful!

> Any thoughts? Make one without an enclosure try it and then decide?

I don't really expect a breakthrough improvement in sound quality since we are both going through power conditioners. Nevertheless, the stock switching PS may generate RFI. Replacing it with a linear PS will give me peace of mind. And who knows, that mental relaxation might well result in a perceived improvement. Any real improvement will be a bonus.

Thanks for the power supply link. Here are the ones I have found so far:

Cheap MPJA 5V @2.5A, only needs output connector replaced, $11.95: http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14345+PS

Power-One 5V @ 3A, ROHS, $36.50: http://www.rselectronics.com/Catalog/ViewPart.aspx?Part=HB5-3/OVP-A&MFG=PWR

Sola/Hevi-Duty 5V @ 3A, $48.41: http://www.mouser.com/search/Produc...virtualkey66300000virtualkey663-SLS-05-030-1T

V-Infinity 5V @ 3A, $???: http://www.v-infinity.com/adtemplat...7&subcatky1=46887&subcatky2=809398&subcatky3=

Hmmm. That what I was thinking. Make one without enclosure. not pretty but....if it works then I will go my usual way. OVERBOARD!!! Then it will "blend" in. I'm really headed in the welborne labs direction. What about you? Maybe we should build one and send it around to SB owners to try....every one would pay shipping to the next person. Could it be done? That is the question. Then we would have many opinions and options.

Where are you located? I am in Charlotte, NC

Just a thought.:)

I am in Houston. Your idea is interesting, although I must say that if I had a power supply replacement in hand I would rather keep it instead of sending it off...

Anyway, I have another idea I must try first. To keep my PDA fueled during long transatlantic flights I bought a Socket Mobile Power Pack a while ago. (My PDA has a screen resolution of 640x480, and decent stereo output when paired with good headphones. So I use it for watching ripped DVDs, as an iPod replacement, an eBook reader, and for games. The ultimate in-flight entertainment system - if you have the batteries.) It is a battery with a variety of output connectors which fit many phones, PDAs, cameras.

Most of the year I do not travel. More importantly, the battery is rated 5V with a capacity of 7200Ah. The spec quotes a discharge current of 1.8A which is more than enough to feed a Squeezebox for 3 to 5 hours, if not longer.

Here is a picture:
AC4009-614.gif

For more info go to: http://www.socketcom.com/product/AC4009-614.asp

This battery should be as good a power supply for Squeezeboxes as possible. I will try it out as soon as I find the right connector for the Squeezebox. I put all connectors I did not need at the time someplace safe :mad:!

If/when I get/build power supply I will send off for eval. The battery is interesting. Let us know what you find.

Jason (jtwrace)

Jason,

I will, as soon as I find the 2.5mm connector and a few hours of listening time. At least I found the battery charger. It is a 5V @ 3A switcher. The battery is charging now.

I'm waiting for an e-mail back from that guy that makes one. I also am in talks with a well known supplier of high end audio equipment. He wants me to buy that one try it let others try it and then he says if it works he will build something.

Looking forward to your review with your battery.

I found the box with the other connectors. A 2.5mm connector is included. However, 2.5 is the outer diameter, not the inner diameter as required by the Squeezebox. Don't ask me why I even assumed that the 2.5 referred to the inner diameter - I have no idea. Maybe Radioshack have what I need to make an adapter.

Radioshack's Size N DC plug ("Adaptaplug") fits. Now were is my soldering iron? It's been a while since I used it. I also need to find a USB cable (for the power pack side) that I can cannibalize. I also bought a new multimeter and heatshrink. This started out so simple now it turns into a project :). I am afraid you'll have to wait a few more days my friend.

I saw your related posts in the Slim Devices Forum, and searched for "Jabberwockie". The PSU he made looks great. If it had a brushed aluminium face plate it would even blend in with my Channel Islands Audio gear.

Over there you were asking for his contact info. One of his posts listed his email address: [email protected].

I'll wait for your review. As far as the case I know where to get them and they are available in natural or black anodized. I sent him an em just waiting...

Well, I broke down and bought one. Will post review after audition. Oh, and photos of course.

Tonight I stopped at Fry's to get some heatshrink and TechFlex. Back home I built the cable. It did not take long, 30 to 45 minutes at most. OK, so that may be long for such a trivial task. This was the first time I worked with TechFlex. And to say that it has been a while since I last used a soldering iron is an understatement.

Anyway, how does it sound? Buckle up folks. Here goes :rocker:

The galvanic separation from the mains solved problems I did not even know I had. I realize now that the harmonics of the transients you get from e.g. cymbals have been clipped! Is that what people call digital glare? Well, it's gone. On the opposite end of the spectral range, the bass has developed a new authority that was not there before. It is even tighter yet goes deeper. As for the upper bass and lower midrange: the transformation here is magic. It is here and in the midrange overall that the most grunge was removed from the music. Then there is the background noise; or the lack of it. I did not realize it was there and thought I had a quiet system because I use power conditioners. It probably is a low noise system. But, when running the Squeezebox on batteries there is only a background of blackness. Zero Kelvin. No noise. It really is unbelievable.

But then, the whole previous paragraph is unbelievable.

I made it up to pull a leg or two. Whether you fell for it or pegged me right there, let's get a chuckle out of it :D and do this one again and for real, in the next post, and right this time.

No more horse sh!t in this post - I promise!

I did buy heatshrink and TechFlex from Fry's tonight and built the cable, too. It works and did take longer than I had expected but no more than 45 minutes. TechFlex is nice.

The battery does power the Squeezebox without problems as it should, given the specs. The battery in its leather case does not look out of place at all, and the TechFlex cable sleeve is a cosmetic necessity.

As for the sound: it's fine. It was fine before and it is fine now. I cannot say whether it is finer or worse than it was before. I can say that there are no revolutionary improvements. I did not expect any either.

During the next few days I shall operate the Squeezebox on the battery, and get used to how that sounds. I shall connect the charger to the battery while I am not listing. I shall remove the charger from both battery and the AC at all other times. I shall play albums I am well familiar with. Come Saturday or Sunday I shall replace the battery with the orig. switch mode SB PSU, and listen to those same albums again. I suspect that I will prefer either the battery setup, or hear no difference. I will let you know.

Latest posts

Back