Quantcast

spikes- are there major differences?

MartinLogan Owners (MLO)

Help Support MartinLogan Owners (MLO):

C

cmescia

Guest
Hi,

was planning on getting spikes for my aeons and was wondering if the 5.00 ones were as good as the ML ones which are much more. oregondv has a bunch....

and do most folks use them?

Chris
 

sleepysurf

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 11, 2005
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
9
Location
Tampa, FL
I've been using the Oregon spikes with my Aerius i's... they work fine. IMHO, a spike is a spike is a spike. It just needs to be sharp enough (and adjustable) such that all four points firmly contact the floor substrate. More $$ just buys more bling.
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
I could hear the difference the extra mass of a large cone makes, better mid-range, extended highs over the real skinny type and of course better bass.

I would not call it "major", but every bit helps in this hobby.
 

Anthony A.

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
there are quite a few who prefer the speakers decoupled from the floor. this is the exact opposite of what spikes do. have you ever tried decoupling? im in the process of determining which would be better.
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
Anthony A. said:
there are quite a few who prefer the speakers decoupled from the floor. this is the exact opposite of what spikes do. have you ever tried decoupling? im in the process of determining which would be better.
There are a bunch of theories out there as to what spikes do. The one which is believable to me is that spikes alter/change the amplitude of the energy frequency.

During my break-in peroid 15 years ago I remember a huge improvement switching from the pad feet to the spikes.

Coupling to my floor energizes the sprung floor (2 x wood floor) into a resonating diaphram with swollen bass and mushy highs. This is why I have steel plates on top on homemade sandboxes (Brightstar knockoffs) to absorb and tune the energy the speaker puts out.

You want to dampen it only so much without making it sound dead, the same way you do with other acoustic room treatments. See system #42 and other systems with something under the speakers.
 

twich54

Forum Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
6,590
Reaction score
24
Location
SE Pa
sleepysurf said:
a spike is a spike is a spike. It just needs to be sharp enough (and adjustable) such that all four points firmly contact the floor substrate. More $$ just buys more bling.
And adding to Sleepysurf's point be sure the locking nuts are tight and speaker is level on all four corners. No need for added resonance and or vibration !!
 

Gordon Gray

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
3,962
Reaction score
5
Location
Alto, NM
You bet they are

I've had three previous ML models (CLS2A's), the Aerius, and the SL3's. I now own the Summits. I always spiked the speakers to give them a much better "decoupling" interface between the floor and the speaker. A couple of obvious, audible improvements is better mid bass / bass definition and imaging improvements. You'll also hear more extended, "airier" highs.

If you want a better mousetrap, try the brass cones made by Mapleshade. No risk, 30 day money back guarantee.

GG
 

cyclone

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
I have had requests and have Sequell IIs which is what I actually prefer adding spikes them then setting a 25 lb weight carefully on the back of them seems to really solidify the base. Adding the weight seemed to make a difference give it a shot.
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
I tried adding weight once, did not work for me.

I've read about some people clamping their box loudspeakers similar to the clamping type equipment racks.

I still have the two quarters and a dime on mine, tacked into place with modeling clay or Tacky Stuff - don't remember it's been there for at least a decade.
 

Anthony A.

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2005
Messages
125
Reaction score
0
am i mistaken, but i thought that by using spikes, you couple the speaker to the floor, whereas by using something like rubber, it is a decoupler. am i wrong here?
 

kach22i

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
7
Location
Michigan
Anthony A. said:
am i mistaken, but i thought that by using spikes, you couple the speaker to the floor, whereas by using something like rubber, it is a decoupler. am i wrong here?
More right than wrong from what I understand.

Think of this in abstract terms, it may help.

Think of the sound energy being created to be equal to the mechanical energy found in the cabinet structure.

That cabinet energy must go somewhere, if not transmitted to the path of least resistance into the ground like a lightning strike, it goes back into the structure of the cabinet causing distortion/destruction.

Rubber feet would isolate the mechanical charge like it would also insulate a electrical charge, but that energy has no where to go except back into the system backing it all up. It would be like plugging a drain and complaining about the water backing up and making your feet wet.

Providing a path for energy is what spikes do, the change in the amplitude somehow makes the process more efficient - I think. Kind of like the energy of a hammer being focused at one point to drive a nail.

EDIT: I was working on an anology of an oven and heat transfer, but was getting burnt out.
 
Last edited:

roberto

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 1, 2005
Messages
3,179
Reaction score
40
Location
San Jose, Costa Rica
kach22i said:
More right than wrong from what I understand.

Think of this in abstract terms, it may help.

Think of the sound energy being created to be equal to the mechanical energy found in the cabinet structure.

That cabinet energy must go somewhere, if not transmitted to the path of least resistance into the ground like a lightning strike, it goes back into the structure of the cabinet causing distortion/destruction.

Rubber feet would isolate the mechanical charge like it would also insulate a electrical charge, but that energy has no where to go except back into the system backing it all up. It would be like plugging a drain and complaining about the water backing up and making your feet wet.

Providing a path for energy is what spikes do, the change in the amplitude somehow makes the process more efficient - I think. Kind of like the energy of a hammer being focused at one point to drive a nail.

EDIT: I was working on an anology of an oven and heat transfer, but was getting burnt out.
Hola, you are on the right track. Actually what happens is that when you have the floor with wood, the spikes are a must. The energy coming from the speaker´s cabinet is transmited to the flloor through the speaker´s feet and it resonates with those vibrations. When you put a spike, the energy is dampened through the spike and because of the small tip, the energy is less transmited, causing less wood floor vibration and making the bass cleaner. It a mechanical impedance form. Happy listening...
Roberto.
 
Top