Speakers that make MLs sound like "kids toys"?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfm

Reaction score
The speakers I have been most curious about are the Sound Labs, particularly the larger ones. Never seen or heard them, though. However, they are often described as good enough to make MLs sound like "toys."

And here's another such description...
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrplan&1154482777

The seller also has Summits and Vantages for sale btw.

Anyone heard SLs and can tell us how they sound, esp. compared with MLs?

Also, this other Audiogon listing mentions prior ML ownership and how the SL M-2 is better than a Monolith or CLS.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?spkrplan&1151718681&auc&3&4&

While I've not personally heard an SL (Anyone in Atlanta with a SL care to have a mutual listening session?), I do understand that the cell based design does give the SL's more diaphragm movement ability and therefore can play lower. Louder is a function of square inches, and the bigger SL's can play louder lower.

I would question how the balance between mid-bass and low bass performance vs midrange and highs is maintained in these speakers. As any cell will likely have a power-limit at frequencies below 100hz, giving the overall unit a downward tilt in the bass. That plus the usual dipole rear wave cancellations at lower frequencies probably means they still sound like all good dipoles do, light in the mid and low bass. Maybe better than a large ML, but no contest for a large dynamic speaker. Now, the distortion characteristics of that mid and low bass are likely miles better than a dynamic based unit. No free lunch I guess.

Anyway, the SL's are highly regarded, and the factory sure thinks highly of them with their elevated list prices ;)

I wouldn't take anyone who calls themselves "audio pimp" too seriously. :)

I've never seen nor heard SLs in person but I sure would love to.

Right on Tom / Handball anyone?

I am in total agreement with the honorable Webmaster. I think the "audio pimp" has a somewhat distorted view of the ML line. Toys? Please!!! However, if "really big size" is important, please go for it. An added benefit to the grande SL is that you use the panel to play racquet ball, handball, squash, or other "wall" type games when you are not listening to them. Of course, you can listen and play your game of choice if you want to multi - task.

I have heard various versions of the SL's at the CES in Las Vegas. Yes, they are quite good. However, for size, aesthetics, and corresponding performance, there is no question in my mind that ML rules!!!

GG

The audio pimp is just being arrogant. SL speakers are expensive and much less reliable than ML

OK guys, he's selling these speakers. The add for the Summit probably calls the M-2s overgrown room dividers. It just sales speak and probably has nothing to do with personal experience.

The Pimp Loves the ML Line when he has to sell them. But seriously,

as a past customer, I can vouch for the pimp if you want to buy his stuff.

Sound Lab Speakers...

jfm,

I have read most of the information available regarding Sound Lab electrostatic speakers on the internet. :) I even statred a treat here:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1181&highlight=Sound+Labs

I've concluded, having never actually heard Sound Lab speakers, but judging from what I have read, they are highly regarded and just excellent for highs and mids though they lack bass. :eek: So..., IMHO if you are actually considering SL's you would almost definately need a powered servo subwoofer to go with them, for fast and accurate bass management. ;)

Havent heard SoundLabs... but they do look quite menacing. As to how good they are.... I bet they're good, but to call ML's toys is purely a selling trick.

Sound Labs have always been better than ML at what they do. However lower end frequencies give the edge to ML. ML is a better all around speaker. Sound Labs do the midrange and highrange better than anyone.

Well until the new MLs. I think the quicker diaphragms have the MLs playing seductively close to Sound Labs at much lower price points.

Plus they're ugly (Sound Labs) and reliability is low.

If I had the money, a pair of Sound Labs (A1's) I would buy. Of course, ML doesn't have a comparably priced speaker so it is hard to make comparisons.

The Sound Labs that are comparably priced to similar ML's sound different not necessarily better. Some would say not as good.

I wouldn't take anyone who calls themselves "audio pimp" too seriously
And many people are turned off by his boisterous approach. However, I can vouch for "the pimp". I bought a nice used preamp from and got a good deal. He delivered as promised and was prompt as well. Of course MLs are the greatest thing around when he is selling them. He is a fair dealer but his marketing approach is very "New Jersey" or "New York street" like approach. He would sell more if he let someone else do his marketing. I would buy from him again if I was looking to upgrade.

Thanks for your responses.

Good to hear from some who've heard the SLs, that MLs are no slouch. Well you know us guys, sometimes we have roving eyes.

Back