Speakers in Cabinet... Couple Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speakers should NEVER be in a cabinet like that. End of story. Until you willing to get them out an on stands and away from the walls you’ll never experience what they are capable of.

...unless they are what was originally termed "bookshelf" speakers which WERE/ARE designed to be put in bookcases which increased the bass performance. For better or worse, bookshelf now typically refers to speakers that require stands as opposed to floor standing.

Most of us do not have the luxury of sufficient space to have components laid out horizontally. In my system, I actually have a 6' tall Salamander rack located between my CLXes. The side panels and doors are perf metal inserts which mimic the perforations of the stat panels. One mod I made was to replace the OEM MDF shelves with shelves cut from bamboo plywood stained black to match to absorb vibration. Speakers and rack are black presenting 3 large "monoliths" when system is viewed...shades of "2001..."

...unless they are what was originally termed "bookshelf" speakers which WERE/ARE designed to be put in bookcases which increased the bass performance. For better or worse, bookshelf now typically refers to speakers that require stands as opposed to floor standing.

Most of us do not have the luxury of sufficient space to have components laid out horizontally. In my system, I actually have a 6' tall Salamander rack located between my CLXes. The side panels and doors are perf metal inserts which mimic the perforations of the stat panels. One mod I made was to replace the OEM MDF shelves with shelves cut from bamboo plywood stained black to match to absorb vibration. Speakers and rack are black presenting 3 large "monoliths" when system is viewed...shades of "2001..."
Sounds cool. Can you post a picture!?

Will do. Stay tuned...

Merry Christmas to all...and wishes for a much Happier New Year!

System with rack doors closed...
Mytek Manhattan II DAC (3rd shelf from top)
Caitlin LDR custom built preamp (4th shelf from top)
Esoteric UX-3 Universal Player (5th shelf from top)
PS Audio P3 Power Regenerator (6th shelf from top)
PS Audio Quintessence Power Conditioner(7th shelf from top)

CLX Art
Taket Batpure Supertweeters mounted in "butcheek" baffles on ABS pipe stands
PASS XA-60.8 monoblocks

Not shown...
Emotiva Integrated Amp to power supertweeters
PS Audio P300 Power Regenerator to power CLXs

1608918205047.png

Attachments

• FAZ-5 DOORS DIM 190822 IMG_20190822_132747_167.jpg
    FAZ-5 DOORS DIM 190822 IMG_20190822_132747_167.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Latest posts