Speaker Wiring

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gordon Gray said:
Roberto,

Your logic regarding power cord sizes to appliances, etc. is sound. No pun intended. However, I suspect wire (gauge) size for electrical appliances power cords, romax, and such are determined by the Uniform Building Code for different reasons and may not be analagous to the amp / speaker interface.

You need not apologize for the difference of opinion on this issue. We all know there are many ways to get the "right" sound from a system given all the various interface issues involved. Having read many of your comments on this site, you are obviously well informed, well intentioned, and well respected.

One additional comment. Carnegie Hall in NYC sounds different than Davies Hall in San Fransico, which sounds different than ..., etc. Which is the "right" sound? It all depends on your perspective. To quote an old adage which I believe is applicable to music listening, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Best regards.

GG
Hola Gordon and thanks for your understanding. Of course that I´m a super cable freak! and all you know that I´m a cable sound defender. When you are starting with a new hobby, you don´t believe in how a big difference in sound a cable could make, so, for a beginer, the use of a heavy thick cable will do perhaps better than a ring bell cable (I had found customers with this kind of cable at their speaker´s terminals, 28 gauge) or Radio Shack cable (the thinner one) and when I used a heavier gauge, the sound in all the bandwith was much better, and the volume at the preamplifier was droped from 11 o´clock to 9 to 9.5 o´clock for the same sound presure level. This is another proof that why a heavier cable will do better than a thin (not special speaker wire) one. My advise was addressed at this direction. Of course too, that we have the choice of many good speaker´s wires brands and a good design, will make a difference and your recommendation is great. There are a lof of good sounding cables, but also, the thinner ones are a minority. I do recommend DHlabs speaker cable and they are not too heavy, but are not 28 gauge, and not expensive too. Perhaps I say all this because I think that my reality is everybodys reality...and I am wrong here. I will ask, why gunshot cable is great in sound? The width is broad, right? As I said before, there are different ways to conduct the electrical energy. One of the easiest way is with a broad cable. The resonances could be an issue in some systems, but we have to deal with them in all systems too, right? Some of us don´t have the knowledge or better say the oportunity to have many different cables in our systems and that´s why we ask for a recommendation. In a general way of speaking, the final test are our ears, right?...please, don`t get me wrong here...and my analogies are realy bad. Sometimes I can´t express myself with the right analogy...I can say that biwired is better for long runs and why is this? Twice the cable to do the same job. Happy listening,
Pura vida,
Roberto.

David - see my SL3 mod post. / Roberto - had same volume difference experience

David,

I do believe, based on my experience, that you can improve the sound by substituting for another jumper. See my post referenced above for further info.

Roberto,

For what its worth, I had the same experience with the Mapleshade speaker cable (less volume required on preamp) as you did with your "heavier" cable. I also found this to be true with their interconnects. Beats me as to why but I know it happened. I check my SPL on a bi-weekly basis and have found my "nominal / average" listening volume has been reduced by 5 to 10DB without sacrificing the musical experience or detail. My guess is that we are both hearing more detail and therefore can lower the volume to achieve the optimum volume / music listening enjoyment balance. Regards.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon Gray said:
For what its worth, I had the same experience with the Mapleshade speaker cable (less volume required on preamp) as you did with your "heavier" cable. I also found this to be true with their interconnects. Beats me as to why but I know it happened.
This is exactly why there is no "best cable" out there for systems. Each system can sound different with the same cable (thick-thin), wire geometries(twists-spacing), connectors and their makeup/design/substance, or wire substances(copper-silver). That is why it is best to try and find the best for yourself and your system.

Dan

DTB300 said:
This is exactly why there is no "best cable" out there for systems. Each system can sound different with the same cable (thick-thin), wire geometries(twists-spacing), connectors and their makeup/design/substance, or wire substances(copper-silver). That is why it is best to try and find the best for yourself and your system.

Dan
Agreed 100X100...happy listening,
Roberto.

I have never been a fan of exotic cables. In previous non-ML systems I have owned, I have swapped cables like they were going out of style and I couldn't tell the difference between exotic cables and those from Radio Shack. My advice would be to save your dollars and buy less expensive cables.

Now I do concede that my previous system was Klipschorn based and these speakers were probably not as revealing as ML's or possibly as cable dependant. So all I can say is tread carefully and don't be conned by cable manufacturers who rely on snake oil and sleight of hand to part unsuspecting buyers from their money.

In saying that, there are probably some very trustworthy cable manufacturers who offer a good product. This Cardas mob seem to be highly regarded.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone for taking the time to give me advise/experience on this. I have been checking out the links provided with continued amazement at all the options and price ranges available. It seems that like speakers, "best" is subjective. :-D Sort of like the quote one of you has that I utilize all the time now.... "Listen to what your ears say, not hearsay." ...that's a great line.

Back