Speaker wire/interconnect?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
What are your feeling on the wether or not to us long single ended interconnect or long speaker wire. Advantages and disadvantages ? Thanks

I find that length of cable makes absolutely no difference. I use 12 gauge terminated in banana plugs, which according to "certain" sources means that my Theos speakers sound like something I could have bought at Walmart. I beg to differ.

Advantages of using over-long cables - moving equipment around doesn't involve damage caused by putting strain on receivers and speakers.
Disadvantages - The area behind my equipment looks like a rat's nest, and shows that cable management is not foremost among my skills.

I've heard many arguments over speaker cable and I doubt I could hear the difference between my symetrically wound 6ga and 12ga wire, however I had these handsome looking cables sitting in a box waiting for 25 years to bring power to a pair of Martin Logans I fell in love with ( back then it was the original Monoliths ) so I'm using them on principle alone, and they look pretty nice :)

If the amps are on another AC power circuit, then long RCA interconnects can be problematic. Otherwise RFI and/or power cords will not be a problem.

If you do use long RCA interconnects (well more than 10 feet/3 meters) then use Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 cables.

Last edited:
What are your feeling on the wether or not to us long single ended interconnect or long speaker wire. Advantages and disadvantages ? Thanks

I have read that signal loss through long run of interconnects is minimal compared to signal loss through long runs of speaker wire.

I think this concept is of use to monoblock amp users. Just a meter of speaker wire from mono amp to each loudspeaker and a comparatively long run of interconnect preferably balanced from
each monoblock amp to preamp.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

I have read that signal loss through long run of interconnects is minimal compared to signal loss through long runs of speaker wire.

I think this concept is of use to monoblock amp users. Just a meter of speaker wire from mono amp to each loudspeaker and a comparatively long run of interconnect preferably balanced from
each monoblock amp to preamp.

Have fun listening to music.:music:

That makes sense because there is very little current going through an interconnect. Typically you are running across an input stage with 25kohm to 100kohm input impedance so the a 4 V signal over a 100kohm resistor = 0.04 mA. Higher current accentuates line losses. Our speakers run 4 ohm nominal down to 0.8 ohm so the current it MUCH higher.

I moved my power amp (bryston st 2ch 250 a channel) up to between my speakers (summits) used the home made interconnects I had for my subs (75ohm) and some older 12ga speaker wire 12ft each side. Could make them shorter if need be Surprisingly it sounds decent. How it will sound with good interconnects and speaker wire should be better! if I get the line stage I want audio research LS27 I'll use balanced interconnects. My older speaker wire was 50' of monster (old style clear jacket.

Generally speaking, the shorter you have your speaker and interconnect cables, the better your sound will be. Placing your Power Amps on the floor between your Speaker and Preamp is the way to go.

I moved my power amp (bryston st 2ch 250 a channel) up to between my speakers (summits) used the home made interconnects I had for my subs (75ohm) and some older 12ga speaker wire 12ft each side. Could make them shorter if need be Surprisingly it sounds decent. How it will sound with good interconnects and speaker wire should be better! if I get the line stage I want audio research LS27 I'll use balanced interconnects. My older speaker wire was 50' of monster (old style clear jacket.

Last edited:
Back