speaker wire for Vantage.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Just purchased a new pair of M/L Vantage speakers(to arrive next week) My present wires are Audioquest Bedrock (Bi-Wired), any good ?? Other suggestions ???

My assosciated equipment: Rotel RB-1090, Audio Research SP-16L

Thanks !!

What about your sources? AQ is good cable and Bedrock is in the midrange pricepoint if I remember correctly. I'd get the new MLs hooked up and optimized in terms of placement and go from there.

Sources for Vantage speaker purchase

sources as follows: Analog - Music Hall mmf-9, musical fidelity X-LPSv3 Phono stage. Digital - Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player. Audioquest King Cobra interconnects

Audioquest Bedrock (Bi-wire) cable...

dyazdani said:
What about your sources? AQ is good cable and Bedrock is in the midrange pricepoint if I remember correctly. I'd get the new MLs hooked up and optimized in terms of placement and go from there.
twich54,

I agree with dyazdani's quote above... Also, Audioquest Bedrock (Bi-wire) cable are very good. I am envyous of your Audioquest King Cobra ic's though... :eek: I plan to purchase a half dozen 1.5 meter King Cobra ic's someday... ;) The King Cobra's are on my, 'Christmas Wish List', to Santa... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Hello Twich,

I ran AudioQuest Slate speaker cables for a wile, which are one step below the BedRock. The slate's were very good with mids and highs but for me left a little to be desired out of the bass. AudioAdvisor offers discounts and closeouts on AudioQuest cables from time to time and I was able to pick up a pair of Audioquest Mammoth speaker cables a few years back. The Mammoth’s 9-gauge construction really improved the bass as well as the entire frequency range.

I think the Bedrock will be just fine, but if you would like a little more from your speaker cables Try AudioQuest's CV-8 or Pikes Peak.

Take Care

speaker cable thoughts continued

Spoke with a friend after dinner and he is very happy with cable from Signal Cable out of Tarrytown,NY. He said the owners name was Frank and that he puts a quality cable together at resonable prices. Oh well I will initially use the Audioquest Bedrocks and take it from there. Looking forward to next week when "Santa" arrives a little early !!

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone !

Twich,
I too would love to see some pictures when you get them all setup.

As for advice on cables, I would wait.

First get your stuff setup then let it break in for at least 40 hours playing before you make any changes/modifications to your setup. A few things will be obvious by that time, your speakers will start to loosen and open up and sound much better. At that time you will be able to tell, if any, where your perceived deficiencies are and decide if different cables are necessary.

Dan, aka DTB300, has done a lot of painful research with cables and may have some helpful ideas. I think I am the only one who does not really care for Audioquest except for the higher priced (and out of my price range) cables. I prefer Tara Labs for cables but I also own CLSiiZ's which are a different animal all together. Audiouest for me are too bright but with a hibred design like the Vantage it may be fine.

I guess my advice is............. "patience Grasshopper and enjoy the journey because it is half the fun" :D

Jeff :cool:

twich54 said:
My present wires are Audioquest Bedrock (Bi-Wired), any good ?? Other suggestions ???

I initially had Bedrock hooked up on my system, but felt it was lacking. I will say though, that for the money it's a pretty good bang for the buck, but to my ears, it's far from what Nordost ultimately did for me. http://tinyurl.com/aqmo3

twich54 said:
Just purchased a new pair of M/L Vantage speakers(to arrive next week) My present wires are Audioquest Bedrock (Bi-Wired), any good ?? Other suggestions ???

My assosciated equipment: Rotel RB-1090, Audio Research SP-16L

Thanks !!
Hola. Cables are a matter of taste. If your sound is too bright, then use high quality copper cable. If your sound needs more high frequency extension, then use silver. Now days are a lot of good cables out there and the best is try a few from your dealer, to make up your decision. Me, as an examply, I have Harmonic Tech and also I have SilverSonic from DHlabs. DHlabs, costing less than the half of Harmonic, is very good. Happy listening and remember: trust your ears, not in specs!
Pura vida,
Roberto.

Make note of the fact that Summits and Vantages do not require bi-wiring. Bi-wire terminals are there for the connection of bi-wire cables that were in use for previous incarnations of Logans. I replaced bi-wire Transparent Audio Music Wave Plus with single-wire sets of Audioquest Mont Blanc. I prefer the sound of the AQ cables in this particular set-up. (Summits driven by ARC tube amps) Previously, I had Ascent is.

Last edited:
aliveatfive said:
Make note of the fact that Summits and Vantages do not require bi-wiring. Bi-wire terminals are there for the connection of bi-wire cables that were in use for previous incarnations of Logans. I replaced bi-wire Transparent Audio Music Wave Plus with single-wire sets of Audioquest Mont Blanc. I prefer the sound of the AQ cables in this particular set-up. (Summits driven by ARC tube amps) Previously, I had Ascent is.

Very true the summits and vantage don’t not require bi-wiring even thou they have four posts for bi-wiring. That copper jumper that comes with the Summit and vantage to jumper the post’s does a good job but you can do better. Getting rid of it and replacing it with a peace of speaker wire or going the bi-wire/ shoot gun bi-wire route would certainly make an improvement. One of the nice things about AudioQuest is you can order new jumper for your speakers in any speaker cable they make, Bed Rock, CV-8, Pikes Peak, Everest, ETC.

Take care.

Very true the summits and vantage don’t not require bi-wiring even thou they have four posts for bi-wiring. That copper jumper that comes with the Summit and vantage to jumper the post’s does a good job but you can do better. Getting rid of it and replacing it with a peace of speaker wire or going the bi-wire/ shoot gun bi-wire route would certainly make an improvement. One of the nice things about AudioQuest is you can order new jumper for your speakers in any speaker cable they make, Bed Rock, CV-8, Pikes Peak, Everest, ETC.

Right you are, Joe. Also note that AQ sells their own version of plain, unadulterated jumpers made of either pure copper or silver. These can be purchased on the net through all the available e-strores. I believe they're about 25 bucks for the pair. BTW, I use 'em.

Vantage coming this week !!!

Zip3kx07 said:
Would love to see some pic's of the vantage when you get them. :D
I will start out with the bedrock cables and go from there. I'll post a pic or two once all is set up !!

good forum guys, like the feedback and trust I will feel the same about my new speaker purchase !!

Later, Dave

Back