speaker wire for summits?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar1

Reaction score
summit users what do is feel the best speaker wire for me to use for my summits? i’m using a tube power amp prima luna? what gauge? i have to run them 30 ft from my amp!
or would it be better to use long interconnects and shorter speaker wire? thanks

Hola Ken,
Use a very heavy gauge wire, or use it double, same size of course. You can do a shotgun configuration too.
If you want to have more high frequency info, you can use silver plated wire. There are cable supplier that are not too expensive and also you can find the connectors for them. Having the Summites bi-wire possibility, you can use these connectors at the speakers.
Happy listening!

Hola Ken,
Use a very heavy gauge wire, or use it double, same size of course. You can do a shotgun configuration too.
If you want to have more high frequency info, you can use silver plated wire. There are cable supplier that are not too expensive and also you can find the connectors for them. Having the Summites bi-wire possibility, you can use these connectors at the speakers.
Happy listening!
so what sanders recommends is not ur favorite he uses coax cable, is 12gauge heavy enough?

yes 12ga wire is enough for your long run but IMO given the capacitance loading of stats it's best to keep speaker cables as short as possible. I would run longer IC's, balanced if possible.

In terms of brands I have had great success with AudioQuest (higher end copper like Oak and even better Thunderbird) and more recently Ansuz paired with ML. With Ansuz I have never heard more neutral and accurate cable without losing naturalness. Though it's best used with a full loom since their focus is on lowering capacitance and inductance and their cables pair well together.

Go with what Twich/Dave said. Any respectable manufacturer will be fine for you.
When I say respectable I am eliminated something like Carol THHN wire from Lowes and Home Depot.

im presently using speaker wire that Sanders makes and recommends but don’t know if it is ok to use at such a long run of 30’. any ideas?

i would suggest borrowing some long interconnects and move your amp or amps closer to your speakers.

If you can't do that just temporarily move your rig to the floor in between your speakers. Try some short speaker cables and decide if it is an improvement or not.

i would suggest borrowing some long interconnects and move your amp or amps closer to your speakers.

If you can't do that just temporarily move your rig to the floor in between your speakers. Try some short speaker cables and decide if it is an improvement or not.
brad225 i can’t move my components in between the speakers because i use my system also for video and it would interfere with my electric 108” screen!

summit users what do is feel the best speaker wire for me to use for my summits? i’m using a tube power amp prima luna? what gauge? i have to run them 30 ft from my amp!
or would it be better to use long interconnects and shorter speaker wire? thanks

Why do you not place amp and source on a low horizontal table between speakers. This table should be maximum 1 and half feet high. Place your screen behind table on wall at a height of 4 feet. Move your component table max 2 feet forward from wall on which screen is placed. You can listen to music with the screen off and on to see if their is any possible distortion interference. I personally think there will be no distortion interference because of screen height and distance from amp and source. Please if possible try and let us know if this solution is effective.

If you use length greater than 2m of speaker cable your system sound quality will suffer.

Big fan of Nordost here. As a dealer I’ve used a lot of different cables and I keep coming back to them as my favorite. There’s actually very interesting technology behind their cables. All about speed and bandwidth. Their technology has trickled down from real world applications including super computers and fly by wire systems for jet fighters. Plus they are very eager and willing to give you all of their cables to try side-by-side. As a dealer they supply us with demo kits at very substantial discounts. Their intended for the end user to take them home and try them in their own system. That being said, if you’d like to try any of Nordost cables let us know. We have almost every single one of them, cables as well of all of their other accessories. If you have any questions please let me know.

Shawn

email [email protected]
call or text 830-DAVINCI

Hola Ken,
Happy listening!
I agree with roberto. I am a big fan of DH Labs Q10 with older MLs. They really opened up my Theos and cost <10% of the price of the speakers unlike some brands!

im presently using speaker wire that Sanders makes and recommends but don’t know if it is ok to use at such a long run of 30’. any ideas?
I jumped on the Sanders bandwagon a couple years on my 25 year old Quest z...very, very happy...contact them about your length issue...

I jumped on the Sanders bandwagon a couple years on my 25 year old Quest z...very, very happy...contact them about your length issue...

After owning Magnan Signature (ribbon) speaker cables for years with my Monolith III's, I decided to try other cables with CLX Art's. I have become a fan of Anticables cables starting with the Level 3 and, after hearing significant improvement, then upgraded to the Level 5. While these silver/gold alloy cables are expensive (but still less than some high end cables) the sound improvement was truly a quantum leap. When I mentioned this to Paul Speltz, he recommended going to double runs, 2 pairs each side. Difficult to believe but this again made a not insignificant improvement in sonics. This improvement was confirmed by a friend who has a pair of ESL15's.

FWIW, I have been running Martin Logan electrostatics for more than 25 years and can say that my system sounds wonderful. I should note that for the better part of that time I have been running Pass amps of various iterations and believe they are extremely synergistic with Martin Logans. Well recorded female vocals, my fave, are to die for. My friend with the ESL's has also moved to running Pass amps as well with both of us currently using XA60.8's.

I used Cardas Neutral Reference (6’ length) for a long time, then had to change to longer cables (18’) as I was moving stuff around. I was happy with the Cardas, but it’s no longer available; if it were, I would have had to pay silly-bugger money for it. In this Covid environment I could not audition anything.

I read lots of reviews of cheaper stuff, as well as listened to what Twitch/Dave has always promoted, ie Signal Cable. I bought their Ultra cable. This is seriously thick, stiff 10ga cable that looks like it has two conductors spaced apart.

I’m glad I listened to our wise old man. The cable does sound a bit better than the Cardas, especially in the bass region. I expect that it will get better as it breaks in more.

Definitely go with longer interconnects. I have gotten good sound with Cardas Golden hex, Nordost Blue Heaven, and Purist Audio Design (both proteus and Dominus). Trust your ears.

I used Cardas Neutral Reference (6’ length) for a long time, then had to change to longer cables (18’) as I was moving stuff around. I was happy with the Cardas, but it’s no longer available; if it were, I would have had to pay silly-bugger money for it. In this Covid environment I could not audition anything.

I read lots of reviews of cheaper stuff, as well as listened to what Twitch/Dave has always promoted, ie Signal Cable. I bought their Ultra cable. This is seriously thick, stiff 10ga cable that looks like it has two conductors spaced apart.

I’m glad I listened to our wise old man. The cable does sound a bit better than the Cardas, especially in the bass region. I expect that it will get better as it breaks in more.

Bernard, you had to say 'old' didn't you ! Merry Christmas my friend !

Large unsegmented panels like Martin Logans have rather high capacitance (>1nF), and are sensitive to cable inductance.

A woven cable or a spiral wound coaxial cable like the Mogami brand used in Sanders cables would have minimal inductance and work well.

Personally, I would never pay $600 for a pair of high-end cables that I could weave myself for $50.

In contrast; multi-segmented panels like mine are predominantly resistive, and can use any cable having reasonably low resistance.

Signal or Blue Jeans. Whichever looks better in appearance for your needs. The "Ultra" Signal brand speaker wire is great stuff. Don't bother with their silver coated copper wire as it does nothing and is marketing.

Back