Speaker Placement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylode

Reaction score
I'm designing my room layout and I'm curious how critical speaker placement is regarding side walls? If I go with Samsungs 67" HDTV then on one side the best I can distance the Ascent (which I don't have yet) from the side wall is 13". If I go with the 62" then that increases to 16" and lastly if I stay with my Mitsubishi 4x3 60" HDTV then I have 20". Will I notice a dramatic difference between 20" and 13"?

Dennis

taylode said:
I'm designing my room layout and I'm curious how critical speaker placement is regarding side walls? If I go with Samsungs 67" HDTV then on one side the best I can distance the Ascent (which I don't have yet) from the side wall is 13". If I go with the 62" then that increases to 16" and lastly if I stay with my Mitsubishi 4x3 60" HDTV then I have 20". Will I notice a dramatic difference between 20" and 13"?

Dennis

Hola Dennis...IMHO I don't think that the change will be that dramatic...but you have to trust in your ears...what it is important is the back's speaker distance from the wall...between two to three feet away is the recommended distance.This distance will provide a great scenario and image.
Hope this can help and happy listening,
Roberto.

roberto said:
Hola Dennis...IMHO I don't think that the change will be that dramatic...but you have to trust in your ears...what it is important is the back's speaker distance from the wall...between two to three feet away is the recommended distance.This distance will provide a great scenario and image.
Hope this can help and happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks that's really good news! I have plenty of space to move from the back wall it's just that one side wall that is an issue. Besides, agreeing to the bigger, and less ugly than our current tv, allowed me to significantly increase my HT budget! She agreed that it sounded good but it would still be ugly paired with our current TV. That was probably the least painfull comprimise I ever made in our 25 years of marriage. :D

Dennis

taylode said:
Thanks that's really good news! I have plenty of space to move from the back wall it's just that one side wall that is an issue. Besides, agreeing to the bigger, and less ugly than our current tv, allowed me to significantly increase my HT budget! She agreed that it sounded good but it would still be ugly paired with our current TV. That was probably the least painfull comprimise I ever made in our 25 years of marriage. :D

Dennis

Hey Dennis...do you know which is the best spec that we have to look first, and just before to make the decision to buy? It is waf...wife aceptance factor...the most important in our goods!!!
Happy listening and regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Thanks and you are so correct! If it doesn't pass their sense style it doesn’t matter how great it sounds you might as well give up and keep looking.

BTW, Costa Rica is one of the vacation destinations I’m planning to make in the next year or so. Besides visiting the rain forest I really want to go scuba diving. From what I’ve seen it looks very beautiful.

Dennis

roberto said:
Hey Dennis...do you know which is the best spec that we have to look first, and just before to make the decision to buy? It is waf...wife aceptance factor...the most important in our goods!!!
Happy listening and regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Another reason I stay single! :D

waf... whats that? just kidding!!!! i feel lucky that it doesn't apply to me.... although i am married!!!!!

Dennis,

You are a lucky man because of 25 years and a positive WAF. Everything is some comprimise and you will decide what and where is the best to make. Nothing is perfect, walls, no walls, curtains or shutters, wood floor or carpet, couch or recliner but you already are in the victory lap with your wife agreeing. :D

Jeff :cool:

Jeff,

You are so right I really consider myself quite lucky.

Regarding the HT I’m assembling, I find it’s ironic that a TV was the swing vote. I wanted to upgrade the TV too but rejected it to make it more presentable. I didn’t realize how much she disliked the Mitsubishi. Also, since she picked out the TV she’s a stake holder rather than me just indulging another mid-life crisis acquisition. ;)

Dennis

Now I feel that I better "clear the air" so to speak. I have nothig against marriage. In fact, I would love to be married again. I have chosen to concentrate my focus in life on my faith, children, family, friends, job, and home audio system. I am envious of my many married friends, especially those with great partnerships which would actually be the vast majority. I understand that nothing is "perfect". All I have to do is look in the mirror to realize that. :) Maybe one day I will find that special lady to fill the void but until then I will enjoy life as I do. Are we "Off Topic" again here? Oops

No need to clear the air, I have many friends that have never been married and often envy thier freedom. But when it's all said an done I wouldn't trade what I have for their freedom.

Dennis

Not to move this too far off, but I too, was married for almost 24 years. To say the least, it is not easy. Yes I would like to find someone but I am used to being alone now. Being a single parent to 2 kids is not easy and I did survive and so did my kids. :eek:

Everybody has there niche and we all will find that place where we can enjoy life and listen and enjoy our ML's.:D

Jeff :cool:

Back