Speaker Help!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpallydoses

Reaction score
Hi guys, new poster here coming for expert help on several fronts.

I picked up what I assume to be Martin Logan SL3 speakers this weekend for $100 at a yard sale and got them back to the house giddy as a school girl to hear them!

Upon hooking them up I seem to be lacking a tweeter on one speaker. How bad is this repair? I removed the board and did not see any obvious problems.

I’m in love with the sound and they may be the nicest speaker I have ever owned.

Attachments

• 91D7CF14-FE2D-415F-9705-B4C82A665BDD.jpeg
    91D7CF14-FE2D-415F-9705-B4C82A665BDD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 623685C7-428E-4A2C-B779-84CD2364AF50.jpeg
    623685C7-428E-4A2C-B779-84CD2364AF50.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
If the higher frequencies are missing then it probably means that the panels need to be replaced. You can also try washing them. There are some threads on here describing results some members have had doing that and how to do it. If washing doesnt work then you can order new panels from Martin Logan.

If it is just the woofers playing, then there would be a bad connection to the panel. The panels tend to drift downward due to gravity over time and that can sever the wires. I have never owned that model so dont know much about it. I own Prodigy speakers and bought new panels for mine.

Look for the serial number decoder on here. The decoder will help you figure out when the speakers were manufactured. The panels should also have their own serial number. Each number code will tell you when it was made. My Prodigies were about 20 years old when I bought them and the panels were already rather shot.

Seems the speakers are Sequel II's (on label in photo).
Probably worth going through threads on here for troubleshooting, failing which by following the "panel showering" thread.

Replacement panels ain't no $100 fix... not sure for the Sequel II's, but probably $2K - $3K range for the pair (and yes, you should replace both).

Best of luck... hopefully you just have an electrical/signal problem to deal with and all else is fine!

Russ

Yep, those are Sequels, and the number one possibility is indeed a severed feed wire between the step-up board and the panel.

Panels will be tired, but a good wash will bring some of the high-end back.

Probably not worth the investment to replace the panels on models this old.

I have Sequels from '93 I bought new, and the panels are still functional enough on mine that I expect them to last another five years or so, but at that point, they will become part of the decor, as they are not worth investing further in.

Back