Speaker cable for Summit

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I want to put a stop on investing on Speaker cable & IC. Since I do not have the facility (unfortunate) to audition various cables, I have narrowed down to Transparent Reference or MIT Magnum M1 Bi-wire and Balanced cable. I have been told by couple of experts that not to for transparent (ideal for bright amplification system like Krell, Maggies) but for MIT Magnum M1 series. You may refer my set up as described in System # 63. Can anyone suggest pl?

System cofig:
Plinius SA102 Power Amp

Cary SLP-05 Preamp

Summit speakers

Wadia 861 CDP

Trigon Advance MC/MM Preamp

SME 10 turntable wth Sr V arm & Shelter 501 mc cartridge

I have a Krell 400xi and was told that Transparents were not as bright actually (I need a brighter cable). Cardas and MIT both I've heard are more neutral, but its your ears that tell the tale. Whats bright to one may be toned down to another. I asked for cable recommendations a while ago, but very few gave opinions, I see why now. Its all in what sounds good to you. Good thing is, invest in good cables and you can always sell or trade them.

When we visited Lawrence the demo Summits were wired with an obsolete but expensive set of MIT cables and they sounded good. I have tried Cardas, Cablepro and Nordost SPM on my Summits and I am currently listening on the Nordost. None of these sound bad, but moreso than any other component wires need to be auditioned IN YOUR SYSTEM!

I have a Krell 400xi and was told that Transparents were not as bright actually (I need a brighter cable). Cardas and MIT both I've heard are more neutral, but its your ears that tell the tale. Whats bright to one may be toned down to another. I asked for cable recommendations a while ago, but very few gave opinions, I see why now. Its all in what sounds good to you. Good thing is, invest in good cables and you can always sell or trade them.
Since Krell is on the brighter side, Transparent mellows it down. Transparent is an ideal match for Krell and Magges - I have been told by an expert

I've been doing a lot of reading on some of the other forums and what I've been hearing is that power cables can make a bigger difference than ic or speaker cables in a system. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Presently I'm just using stock power cables on my equipment, canare ic's and regular 12 gauge speaker cable's for bi-wiring my Odysseys.

I've been doing a lot of reading on some of the other forums and what I've been hearing is that power cables can make a bigger difference than ic or speaker cables in a system. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Presently I'm just using stock power cables on my equipment, canare ic's and regular 12 gauge speaker cable's for bi-wiring my Odysseys.

It's way too subjective. Cables (all kinds) can make an impact.

BTW, I am using high end power cables Voodoo Black Dragon, Silver Dragon, Mana & Mojo CABLES with High end Oyaide plugs through out. It does make a lot of difference. Mana cables. I have a dedicated 20 Amp power line from the DB. My power receptables are Oyaide Berylium coated sockets

Abhijit, Do you think power cables make a bigger difference that ic or sp's? I'm just trying to get the most out of my present system without spending a fortune. If I was going to spend thousands on cables, I believe it would be better spent buying some summits. I wouldn't be against spending a few hundred here and there, though.

I have tried Transparent, Synergistic Research, Cardas, Nordost, and others. I'm currently using a relatively inexpensive biwaire speaker cable from a Brit company called IXOS, their Gamma 6. It is a design that features multiple low capacitance conductors that are braided so that they cross at 90 degree angles and reduce inductance. They are very neutral. .....oh...they look good too!

Peteys,

I was using the stock powercords with my Oddessey's running to an Audience adept response conditioner. I purchased Foundation Research LC 1 powercords with built in conditioner as well and plugged them into the Adept response as well. Quite the difference over the stock pc's. I feel as if I am hearing what the Oddessey's truly have to offer for the 1st time.

My speaker wires are Cardas golden cross biwire.

I have tried Transparent, Synergistic Research, Cardas, Nordost, and others. I'm currently using a relatively inexpensive biwaire speaker cable from a Brit company called IXOS, their Gamma 6. It is a design that features multiple low capacitance conductors that are braided so that they cross at 90 degree angles and reduce inductance. They are very neutral. .....oh...they look good too!

I use the same thing. Also their ICs (System #59)

Hello there:

I have a pair of Summits that I am using with a Conrad Johnson Premier 350
(also have a Wadia 581i and an SME 10 with SME V arm and MoFi 3.5c cart)
and I've been having really good luck with the Tetra Artet cable from Tetra Speakers. It is somewhat on the neutral to perhaps a touch mellow side.

If you are interested, check out www.tetraspeakers.com

We will be getting some transparent in next month, so I can't help you there for now...

It's too bad you can't get some of this stuff to audition, as it is tough! I hope that you end up with a pair of cables that you are happy with... Glad to hear from Summit owners so far away. Best of luck!

I am using Transparent throughout. The power cables (PLS) did make a large difference to the standard supplied cables. However, I feel the i/c's and speaker cable made a bigger difference.

I have also a dedicated 30A mains ring - also made a very large improvement.

The only way to identify what would give you the biggest gain for $ is to try experimenting - see if you can borrow some mains cables and i/c's and have a play around. The only drawback is that you may find you like the sound of all the cables in your system - and that will cost you many $ for Transparent!
Marc

Wow. Those Foundation Research LC 1's are expensive. Very expensive. For me at least. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to put the money into better speakers? Or other equipment? I don't have summits.

I want to put a stop on investing on Speaker cable & IC. Since I do not have the facility (unfortunate) to audition various cables, I have narrowed down to Transparent Reference or MIT Magnum M1 Bi-wire and Balanced cable. I have been told by couple of experts that not to for transparent (ideal for bright amplification system like Krell, Maggies) but for MIT Magnum M1 series. You may refer my set up as described in System # 63. Can anyone suggest pl?

Buying cables you haven't auditioned in your system is like signing up for a mail order bride. :eek:

You could spend a LOT of $$$ and reap no benefit whatsoever in sound quality.

My advice... Don't. :stop:

the Cable Company (maybe)

I want to put a stop on investing on Speaker cable & IC. Since I do not have the facility (unfortunate) to audition various cables, I have narrowed down to Transparent Reference or MIT Magnum M1 Bi-wire and Balanced cable.

Contact the Cable Company http://www.usedcable.com/ they have a program for auditioning cables for a small fee. Don't know if they work with international customers, but they might. Ask them.

Petey's

The Foundation Research LC 1's are not in prodution anymore, so you have to pick them up used. They seem resonable used. New , they went for around $800 Can. each.Some went for sell this week at www.canuckaudiomart.com I am not sure if they are sold yet.It's listed under cables and is 3/4 down the 1st cable page.

The LC 1's may seem expensive, once you hear the benifits you would relize they are indispenseable. I installed Isoclean fuses in the LC 1's as well.

The dealer I bought the Oddessey's from said the LC 1's were the best pc for loagns , bar none. Very honest fellow, as he wasn't a Foundation Research dealer. Glad I took his advice.

Foundation Research currently makes LC 100's which will do a whole sytem and LC 10's which would also be to big for the logans.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back