Speaker Angle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickk9

Reaction score
The recent "distance from wall" thread was interesting and helpful to many new to Martin-Logan.
My question is whether the speakers should be angled back or remain perpendicular to the floor.
As an owner of reQuests and CLS, I seem to remember that with the CLS it was suggested that they be angled back. I do not remember the suggested angle at which to start.
I am unsure about the reQuest, however.
I am curious what others have found to be optimum.
This information gives newcomers a good place to start.
Thank you in advance.

My speakers are mounted about 3 or 4 inches above the floor because they sit on some homemde Brightstar sand box knock-offs. I need to get a higher couch to raise my listening position or something.

I have it adjusted as far forward (little lean-back) as I can and still keep it stable. When I sit up they sound better than reclined on the couch. More sizzle and detail when I sit up right. More sizzle and detail when the speakers sit up right too.

First of all, will you ONLY be listening from a seated position, or sometimes standing? I'm sure the default "rake" (backwards tilt) of each model is optimized for a typical seated position. However, if you are extremely tall, or often listen standing, you should probably experiment with tilting them back and having a listen.

My Summits are at their default angle... sound great when sitting, but a little lean when standing. I'll probably experiment with the angle sometime on a rainy day.

Back