sound garish

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vimara

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the thousand of the panels are heat shrinkable? I showered them and when I dried them with the hair dryer, I don't know if I overpowered the heat, now they sound garish.
Thanks

The diaphragm is constructed from very thin low mass PET ( polyethylene terathylate ) and like any such material can be damaged by direct heat, hopefully yours are just settling in again after their bath, good luck.

El sonido ha cambiado pero no puedo decir si para mejor, ya que antes sonaban cálidos, así que deduje que el panel necesitaba una limpieza, pero ahora el sonido es demasiado brillante para mi gusto.

El sonido ha cambiado pero no puedo decir si para mejor, ya que antes sonaban cálidos, así que deduje que el panel necesitaba una limpieza, pero ahora el sonido es demasiado brillante para mi gusto.
Tienes que dejarlos sonando varios días, para que el diafragma se vuelva un poco flojo, y deje de sonar tan brillante. A esto se le dice en Inglés, break in time. Sólo dales tiempo, como si fuesen nuevos.
Happy listening!

Funny how I did not notice the switch in languages here ;)

I showered them and when I dried them with the hair dryer

That was very high risk, one should never use heat on the panels.
Let them air-dry over several days.
At most, compressed air can be used to 'blow dry' them at first, but still, need to dry out naturally for 2 days.

Thanks for the info, but now I can't do another thing to wait and as Roberto says that the usage time will lower the panel tension again.

I hope some other members read this so that they too don't try using heat.

I wonder if they use heat at the factory to tighten them up some after the film is installed?

I do not think it is lost, it seems to be more a matter of dirt than of aging, if they are not damaged there are panels with more than twenty years and they still sound fabulous

My understanding is the film is stretched in a jig made for that model of speaker. Once they achieve the correct pressure on the film it is attached to the sators with the 2 sided tape.

I do not think it is lost, it seems to be more a matter of dirt than of aging, if they are not damaged there are panels with more than twenty years and they still sound fabulous
I think the coating eventually wears off. The atmospheric conditions probably control how long it takes.

can be. Continuing with my experiments I have opened the zener switch of the sequel II power supply and .... it has lowered the voltage in the panels by approx 10% and the sound is now brutal, there is bass, there is body there space and there are still incredible and high-pitched voices, it has lost the excess brightness. I am really happy with this change. The next question is whether the same would happen if I remove the jumper from the Sl3, since the Sequel switch eliminates two zeners so the voltage drops but in the case of the Sl3 the jumper deactivates the zeners so the voltage simply It would be out of control and I understand that I had to adjust it with an external variac to achieve the desired effect.

Back