Soon to be baskin in electrostat glory!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazman

Reaction score
Hello all.
I just wanted to post and say that I'm pretty excited to be picking up some Martin Logans in about a week!
I've been waiting for the right deal to come around and I think it finally did.
I found a nice used pair of Aerius. Hopefully they will be the right speaker for my room. The room is not too big so I pretty much had to keep my search to either the Aerius or the Scenario.
Anyone with some advice or other thoughts about a first time Logan purchase would be appreciated.
Oh and I'll be driving them with some vintage stuff which I hope will be ok as I've heard some older stuff has problems with the low impedance dips that these things can offer.
Most likely candidates for power will be some big receivers from the 70's. Probably my Sansui G-8000 or 9090db. Or I could use my Yamaha CR-2040 or Marantz 2330B. Most of these hover around the 120 watt per channel range.
Anyway... hopefully we can get a good match going.
I'll take some pics when I get them.

Dave

You'll want to go back through your CD/album collection and re-listen to stuff, particularly stuff that you have to dust off because you haven't tried to listen to it in awhile. Your collection will sound very different - and that can be both good and bad...

You'll hear nuances in the recordings that you haven't heard before. You may also discover some new favorites based on how the MLs reproduce those recordings. Unfortunately, they tend to be unforgiving of badly-engineered recordings, so something that you previously liked alot may sound like ass on the MLs. You may also find that the genres of music that you listen to change and/or expand. Jazz vocals are outstanding on MLs, and in my experience, jazz producers tend to take more care with their miking and mastering than pop producers. Note: I also listen to hard electronica, good-ol pop and classic rock, and various modern artists. I have Ascent i.

Here is a 1993 Aerius review from Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/312/

Hey Dave, congratulations and welcome.
What speakers do you have now, and what's your room like?
I went from Magnepans, and what I learned when moving over to Logans is that what I thought I knew from listening to music over the past 15 years or so didn't apply with these speakers. I pretty much had to re-learn room acoustics, amplifier compatibility, and speaker placement. Those 3 variables really impact the sound with Logans, moreso than with other speakers I think. So keep an open mind when tweaking and fine tuning your system.
And enjoy!:music:

Mike

From one Dave to another, welcome ! Take your time with set-up, be patient, check out previous threads on speaker set-up. Remember they radiate in both directions, so "let them Breath" !!

Hey Dave, congratulations and welcome.
What speakers do you have now, and what's your room like?
I went from Magnepans, and what I learned when moving over to Logans is that what I thought I knew from listening to music over the past 15 years or so didn't apply with these speakers. I pretty much had to re-learn room acoustics, amplifier compatibility, and speaker placement. Those 3 variables really impact the sound with Logans, moreso than with other speakers I think. So keep an open mind when tweaking and fine tuning your system.
And enjoy!:music:

Mike

Thanks guys for the welcome.
Mike the speakers that I'm running now are Onix Rocket RS-750 Signatures with the new Danny Richie crossover. I have a feeling that the Logans will provide a much different listening experience than what I'm use to.
Hopefully it will be a more refined sound.

Thanks guys for the welcome.
Mike the speakers that I'm running now are Onix Rocket RS-750 Signatures with the new Danny Richie crossover. I have a feeling that the Logans will provide a much different listening experience than what I'm use to.
Hopefully it will be a more refined sound.

Welcome Fazman,
I'm not to far out of metro Detroit, so your not too far away.

I've been parusing the AV123 forum (as do a few other peeps here) and have been wondering about the Onix Rockets for a while. I'm curious why you're moving away from them.

Welcome Fazman,
I'm not to far out of metro Detroit, so your not too far away.

I've been parusing the AV123 forum (as do a few other peeps here) and have been wondering about the Onix Rockets for a while. I'm curious why you're moving away from them.

Hey Kruppy, absolutely nothing wrong with the Onix speakers I have, in fact I think they sound incredible. They have a great sound, they can kick some serious ass and they look good doing it.
I've been dreaming about owning a pair of Logans now for probably 10 or so years. I finally found a pair that I thought were a very good price. So I'm doing it!
I just look at it as a big scratch that I just had to itch! ;)
The Rocket line of speakers is definitely worth pursuing... nice speakers.

Dave

Congratulations on your new speakers. You won't be disappointed...

I Got'm!

Well I finally picked up the Aerius. Everything about the speakers that the seller described was right on the money.
They are in excellent condition with hardly any marks on them.
I haven't gotten a chance to take any pictures yet but I will very soon.
Initial impressions... :bowdown: Or maybe :rocker: or just plain :music: I don't know yet I haven't decided :D

I have to say that these are probably the most engaging and lifelike speakers I have ever heard. I was initially skeptical because of some of the reviews I've read about there being a lack of bass. Well I can tell you first hand that these speakers do not lack bass. They go plenty low enough where I don't think a sub is necessary.
Anyway... you guys all know what I'm talking about, I don't need to tell you.
I think I've found myself a little piece of audio heaven.
Oh, and vintage gear does just fine with these babies!

Pics will come soon.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the club. I used to have Aeirus i's, great speaker. What twitch meant by let them breathe is that ML's do need to be out quite a distance from the wall behind them for them to work there best magic.

Do play around with moving the speakers around, it will pay off. Have you heard of the ML flashlight toe in trick?

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the club. I used to have Aeirus i's, great speaker. What twitch meant by let them breathe is that ML's do need to be out quite a distance from the wall behind them for them to work there best magic.

Do play around with moving the speakers around, it will pay off. Have you heard of the ML flashlight toe in trick?

Hi Moon, thanks for the welcome.
My room is very irregular sized and I have to say that I have them approx. two feet from the back wall (to the back of the speaker that is) I find they sound absolutely excellent in their position now.
I'm curious about the flashlight trick. I heard something about this before but not exactly sure what it entails.
I will try moving them around a bit more to get the most out of them but to be honest I'm too busy just listening to the music :music:

Faz,

The flashlight trick is this. Sit in the listening chair holding a flashlight under your chin or on your head with the light out. Turn your head towards the speaker, you will see a shinny line the whole lenght of the stator. Have your helper toe in the speaker until the shinny line is about 2 inches from the inner panel . This should guive you perfect toe in.

Too bad you can't get those speakers a little further out into the room.

Back