Sony SACD product line still alive and well

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Apparently, Sony is releasing a new SACD player in their high-end ES product line. It looks like one of their better models with XLR and HDMI outputs. I'm not sure if it is a dedicated 2 channel player. It has 1 pair of 2 channel RCA out and 1 pair of Balanced outputs. However, it also has an HDMI out which could potentially make it a 5.1 multichannel player with the appropriate receiver or pre/pro.

It also has coax and optical out with a switch to turn off that feature when not in use but no digital input for enable it to be used as a DAC. This player could be a contender in the SACD market if its priced right. Maybe Sony is recognizing the real-world market for high-rez music on a disc.

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/08/27/sony-unexpectedly-releases-super-audio-cd-reciever

Interesting. It seems it does output multichannel over "HDMI (with Multi and 2CH priority switch)".

Now the question is: does it do PCM multi-channel only, or can it stream DSD as well?

I believe the newer Sony receivers can accept DSD streams. But I've not looked into that.

I still find the Denonlink approach much cleaner (if you have a Denon preamp, which right now, the AVP-A1HD is the king of the multichannel AVP's IMHO).

i find it very interesting that it is a 2 channel only player. this may be worth looking into

It's not though. It looks like it will do multi-channel over HDMI. It's just the analog out that is 2 channel only, although it does offer both single ended and balanced.

Back