Sonic Nirvana

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Prall

Reaction score
Just posting an update after having my Vantage speakers for about a month now. ......WOW! I'm still getting nothing done around the house... Every time I sit down to listen to my music, it's like I'm really just hearing it for the first time. There is just so much more depth and detail that I never realized was there before. I just cannot imagine that after experiencing a speaker like this that you could ever be satisfied with the conventional type.... at least not one at a comparable price point. So I'm guessing that once you go electrostatic.... you NEVER go back. :-D And I don't even have the Summit! If its even the 20 percent better that the one review I read indicated, it must really be amazing. No wonder Joey says Holy Moly! :eek: (I get a kick out of his system byline every time I see it. Anyway....though I was a little uncertain about spending that much money on speakers, I think I can safely say now that they feel worth every penny to me now... and thats still with the bargain pair audioquest cables and no tubes! (yet?) :-D

David, Thats good to hear, keep in mind your present enjoyment has set for you a "benchmark" that when the time comes and you make changes / upgrades down the road you now have a great basis upon which to judge !

David,

Yes... I had the Vantages prior to my Summits and even had a special order pair of Birds Eye Maple veneered ones sent to me. However, right when I picked up the Vantages from my dealer (after returning the Dark Cherry ones I originally had), I made the mistake of listening to the Summits...

And the rest is history. I ate ramen (seriously) for about 2 months...

Oh... and I'm glad my byline amuses you! :D :D

LOL ....I'd have to eat Ramen for more than a couple months to afford DOUBLE the cost. :D Just don't tell me you found the Vantage to be a poor choice! ;)

In smaller rooms, it may be quite difficult to tell the difference between Vantage and Summit. Or to put it another way, you probably won't miss what the Summit can do. But get the Summit in a larger room, watch out.

I now realise how this electrostatic thing can grow on you. Last week my neighbor came over to have a listen. He owns Epos M22 speakers with a REL Strata sub driven by a Denon 2805 run in 2 channel mode with a 2900 universal player. Now some months prior to me getting my ML based system, we spent hours setting up his system. At that time I had my Klipschorns driven by a Jolida integrated tube. Nice sound with huge dynamics. Everytime my neighbor listened to my system he'd go home and listen to his. He preferred the sound of his while conceding the sheer dynamic power of the Klipschorns.

Now moving forward to the present, my neighbor had a big listen to my new system. He was at sixes and sevens about the sound. It was so different to what he's used to and remarked how much more dynamic (!!!??) and clear my new system is compared with my old system.

Anyhow, he went back home. The next day he asked me over to check his system out. There was "...something wrong", he said. So I went over to his house. Now he has a really nice home (almost as nice as mine!), and has an eclectic taste in music. The problem was... he had listened to my system. There was nothing wrong with his system although he was complaining it sounded flat and uninvolving... "How can I fix it?" Now the correct answer would be, 'buy some new ML speakers'. But I couldn't say that. Anyway he's looking at buying a Rotel power amp to add on to his current system because he thinks the Denon isn't driving his speakers properly. That won't fix anything either. But he'll have to work the real answer out for himself.

Looks like another ML conversion in the process... ;)

Discretion is usually called for with friends under these circumstances, but I would approach the situation in a more circuitous manner. I would point out that speakers are the most important component, followed by the room, the source then the amp. An amp will give him more headroom and bass impact, but will have little effect on midrange articulation and quality. I bought the original Aerius over ten years ago and liked them a lot. I drifted away from them to Dunlavy and Thiel speakers, which were quite good with their own strengths. By chance, five years later I had an opportunity to hear the Dunlavys in a show room with the ML Scenarios. I was stunned how much more open and alive the Logans sounded. I asked to take the demos home to compare with my gear and Dunlavys and the rest is history. I traded in my Dunlavys for Aerius i. I now have the Aeon i and am very happy. I do not know how large his speakers are, but I would suggest he bring them over to your house to A-B with yours, or to a ML dealer if that would be less stressful for you. You can waste a lot of money upgrading electronics in incremental steps when what you really need is a better speaker.

An amp upgrade will certainly tighten up the sound... especially imaging, 3D air, bass tightness, and the speakers' ability to respond to transients.

However, the speaker is what makes the biggest difference in sound... the amp merely helps the speaker realize its potential. Have your friend look at some speakers for possible replacement.

ML
Audio Physic
Sonus Faber
Wilson
BW 803D or up
Avalon

Just to name a few.... I'm sure he'll find his sound. Speaker shopping is always a grand ol' time.

Joey

Back