Someone has bit on my Vantages....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Now, final question before I pull the big one:

Would you:

1. Go Summits?

2. Stick with Vantages and get a super subwoofer (like Velodyne DD18)? Or DD15 + Rotel 1090 amp?

What do you guys think?

I'm just having some final pre-sale jitters.

Zip3kx07 said:
I would get my head examined.

Then go pick up the Summits. :D

Go pick up the Summits, then get your head examined, otherwise the shrink may try to dissuade you :).

In all seriousness, I think that that is the optimal choice from your suggested options. I have Ascent Is and recently got a Depth, so I have something similar to your second choice. The Depth definitely fills in my perceived lack of punch and bottom end in the Ascents. I ran the Ascents for about six months to get used to them before adding the Depth.

I also auditioned the Summits at the same time as my last pre-purchase Ascent (with Depth) audition and the Summits were significantly better, particularly with regards to bass handling. They were running on more expensive electronics, but I think that that was less of a factor. If I could have afforded them, I would have taken that option. I have not heard Vantages, so I can't speak to how close they may be to Summits. If the math of the two options is comparable, and you don't like option (3) do nothing, I think that the Summits are the right choice.

Buy Vantages, sell them again, then the third time should be a charm.

Seriously -- Go straight to the Summits. Do not pass Go.

SteveInNC said:
Go pick up the Summits, then get your head examined, otherwise the shrink may try to dissuade you :).

My question for Joey would be if he seriously thinks anyone on this site would say don’t get the summits?

I mean come on, I think we all have a loved one or two that thinks we belong in the loony bin for spending the kind of cash we do on this hobby.

Good luck with whatever you do Joey cause you should be happy either way. If it was me, I would get a ML Depth and not look back, but you have always questioned whether you should have gotten the Summits initially, so I suspect nothing short of that will extinguish the dreaded "what ifs" for you. :)

Joey_V said:
Now, final question before I pull the big one:

Would you:

1. Go Summits?

2. Stick with Vantages and get a super subwoofer (like Velodyne DD18)? Or DD15 + Rotel 1090 amp?

What do you guys think?

I'm just having some final pre-sale jitters.
1)Get your head examined.
2)Buy the Summits.
3)Go back to the guy who examined your head and:1)Tell him that his advice was not good enough.2)Tell him that you want him to give you a reduction because his advice was not good enough.
4)Make sure that the room that you are committed to has enough space to enable the Summits to give of their best.
5)Make sure that you have enough CDs or LPs to listen to during the duration of your incarceration.
Simple,eh?

Buy the Summitts, then buy a better amp to do the summitts justice, then buy a better preamp to match your better amp, then buy some room treatments to clean up bass and reflection issues, then buy a first rate front end because your amp/preamp + summits are so revealing, then buy some tweaks to get the most out of your rig, then upgrade your cable because it's a shame not to have the right cable when you have so much invested in the rest of your rig, and enjoy every minute along the way. :)

Buy the Summits. ML has spent considerable time and research integrating the woofers to the panels. Many people have fine results with a separate sub. I always will go with a complete engineered solution that has been built holistically to function as one.

PS we all go through this when we spend a lot of money on anything since our moms, dads and or significant others think the money should stay in the bank or be invested in something sane like a house or a mutual fund. But they just don't understand how wonderful our hobby is so make a good choice for your listening pleasure and then enjoy it as often as you can.

Since buying the Summits I spend every spare moment in front of them listening to everything I got and I am so danged happy.......Steve

If it were me,i'd stick with the vantages.I would be skeptical on making the move to the summits without the right electronics to make them sound the way they were ment to sound.........m2cents

Buy the Summitts, then buy a better amp to do the summitts justice, then buy a better preamp to match your better amp, then buy some room treatments to clean up bass and reflection issues, then buy a first rate front end because your amp/preamp + summits are so revealing, then buy some tweaks to get the most out of your rig, then upgrade your cable because it's a shame not to have the right cable when you have so much invested in the rest of your rig, and enjoy every minute along the way.

Face it...You're doomed just like the rest of us!

Tuna fish

For what it's worth, you may not be able to tune a fish but I will tell you, having had the Summits for 2 months now, you can really tuna Summit. The ability to tweak the 25HZ and 50HZ crossover independently is a huge benefit for getting the low end to blend with your particualr room acoustics. Each crossover, and subsequent minor (1/2 DB) adustments, is totally audible. Don't know if the Vantages offer the same level of tuning sophistication.

GO FOR THE SUMMITS AND DON'T LOOK BACK. YOU WILL NOT REGRET THE DECISION.

Gordon

Go with the Summits since they are what I like to call "Man Speakers", if you have them you are the man. Too bad women don't realize that. As far as upgrading other components goes, you will end up doing that regardless of which speaker you choose. I know beccause I'm in your same age bracket and almost all of my debt is tied to my home theater. If you're unsure I'll hold onto the Summits while your return period is still valid so you don't do something stupid.

Mark

mapmustang said:
Go with the Summits since they are what I like to call "Man Speakers", if you have them you are the man. Too bad women don't realize that. Mark

"Man Speakers" ...lol. I can't wait until I grow up. ;)

Sale pending.... :) .

Come on SUMMITS!!!!!!

:D

Will keep you guys updated!

Oh man... I need some better assortment of ramen. :(

Back