Some amp suggestions for bedroom system

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STV

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have not been around here in a very long time. Nice to see many original members still active here.

I still have (and am enjoying) my reQuest’s, Theater i, Aerius i’s, and Script’s.

I assembled a decent stereo setup in my bedroom. It consists of a pair of Focal Aria bookshelf speakers, Marantz CD receiver (M-CR611) A/D/S MS3 and Definitive Technology Prosub 800 subwoofers.

It sounds good, but I really would LOVE to have some Martin Logan ESL’s. But in order to do that I needed to upgrade to some separates. I already own a retired (but mint) Sunfire Theater Grand III pre amp , but I have no amplifier to use with it.

I’m still kicking around which ESL’s to buy. It’ll either be the Electromotion ESL, or the Electromotion ESL X. I really would love to buy a Sunfire stereo amp, but they are very difficult to find. Especially one that’s been well taken care of.

So that leads me to the question of which amp to buy. I want to make the Logan’s shine. I’m looking to spend under $2,000. A neutral or slightly warm sounding amp that will mesh well with the Sunfire TGIII would be a plus.

Thanks in advance.

Seth

For around that price range I'd recommend the Hegel H95 Integrated Amplifier or if you want to go Tube for that price range I'd recommend the Cayin CS-55A. Both have been reviewed as very great gear for the price range. In fact I've been considering the cabin gear for me desktop setup.

For around that price range I'd recommend the Hegel H95 Integrated Amplifier or if you want to go Tube for that price range I'd recommend the Cayin CS-55A. Both have been reviewed as very great gear for the price range. In fact I've been considering the cabin gear for me desktop setup.

Love that warm tube sound but I prefer solid state. Any amp makers out there offer a sound character similar to Sunfire? The Hegel looks nice. Only thing is that I’ve read some say the sound of Hegel is a tad forward. Not sure how true that is.

I found a Sunfire Symphonic Reference stereo amplifier in supposedly Mint 10/10 condition. The seller says that he had Steve Leung of VAS Audio check and change any caps. I have no idea who that is, maybe some of you all might.

Anyhow, he will only sell the amp with the matching Symphonic Reference preamp. I personally have no need for the preamp, but he’s asking $1,600 for the pair.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
For a bedroom, even a large one, you might find the coincident source speakers can deliver a really good soundstage, and are much better for video content. I've been very happy with the Elac UniFi series in the secondary media room.
Coincident (coax) speakers perform better than other dynamic models when seated <11 from the speaker. So the Elac, or Kef lines would be where I'd look.

Since you lack an amp, a very good choice would be the Elac Navis series, which is self-amplified and use internal analog active crossovers. https://www.elac.com/series/navis-powered-speakers/

I'm contemplating three ARB51's to replace the UniFi units I have, and drive them from the preamp outs of the AVR (Denon X3600H).

For a bedroom, even a large one, you might find the coincident source speakers can deliver a really good soundstage, and are much better for video content. I've been very happy with the Elac UniFi series in the secondary media room.
Coincident (coax) speakers perform better than other dynamic models when seated <11 from the speaker. So the Elac, or Kef lines would be where I'd look.

Since you lack an amp, a very good choice would be the Elac Navis series, which is self-amplified and use internal analog active crossovers. Navis Powered Speakers Series | ELAC

I'm contemplating three ARB51's to replace the UniFi units I have, and drive them from the preamp outs of the AVR (Denon X3600H).
Those speakers look perfect for a bedroom!

Since you lack an amp, a very good choice would be the Elac Navis series, which is self-amplified and use internal analog active crossovers. Navis Powered Speakers Series | ELAC

Thanks for the suggestion on the Elac speakers. They look really nice, and am sure sound great! But I really want some ESL’s in there. There is just something about that ML ESL sound that is so unlike anything cone based.

I had been deciding between the Electromotion ESL and Electromotion ESL X. But I was thinking the other day, hey I’ve got a pristine pair of Scenarios just sitting around not being used. Why not use those for the bedroom system I thought? I went ahead and ordered some new panels for them, so within 4-5 months I’ll have them.

Between now and then I can get the rest of the stuff together (amp, network streamer). Still not sure about the amp. I want a Sunfire, but if I end up not getting one, what are some solid choices that will sound great with ESL’s? Something with enough power, high current, and stable into low impedances.

Any stereo amps like that around $1,200-$1,500?

What do you all think about the Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2? It looks like it checks all the boxes, except it’s priced a bit more than I wanted to spend at $2,200. But for what it offers, it looks like a really good 2 channel amp.

Some specs:

•225 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.015% THD with 2 channels driven
•400 watts per channel into 4 ohms
•600 watts per channel into 2 ohms
•Class AB design with 8 high-current bipolar output transistors per channel for lower distortion
•low-noise, high-power toroidal transformer for stable, noise-free performance
•high-quality filter capacitors and advanced power supply regulators
•Advanced Load Monitoring™ technology monitors internal temperature, current, and voltage to ensure safe, uninterrupted operation
•3-way on/off operation: manual, triggered, or signal-sensing auto on/off
•stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
•custom-designed binding post terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spade lugs
•3.5mm trigger in/out jacks allow the amplifier to be turned on or off remotely
•signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
•designed, engineered, and manufactured in Canada
•detachable power cord

Would this be a good match for my Scenarios? Anyone here know how the sonics are? Neutral, slightly warm, or a tad forward? Would this be a good match for my Sunfire TGIII?

I’ve got a pristine pair of Scenarios just sitting around not being used. Why not use those for the bedroom system I thought? I went ahead and ordered some new panels for them, so within 4-5 months I’ll have them.
Sound like a plan, but I'll suggest one more thing:
Purchase a pair of Real Traps MiniTraps HF (make sure they are the HF, as they lack the reflective limp-mass element), mount those to the wall (offset by 3") then place the scenarios so that the panel is firing straight into them. This allows them to be much closer to the wall than typical, and will also improve their response.

think about the Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2

Nice amp, will definitely handle the Scenarios no problem, and you can use XLR to hook up with the TGIII.

Sound like a plan, but I'll suggest one more thing:
Purchase a pair of Real Traps MiniTraps HF (make sure they are the HF, as they lack the reflective limp-mass element), mount those to the wall (offset by 3") then place the scenarios so that the panel is firing straight into them. This allows them to be much closer to the wall than typical, and will also improve their response.

Nice amp, will definitely handle the Scenarios no problem, and you can use XLR to hook up with the TGIII.

Thanks for the advice on the Real Traps MiniTraps HF. Will definitely add them.

I was thinking that buying a Sunfire amp would be great, but I’d have no idea of how the previous owner treated the amp. And being that the amp will most likely be 20 years old, how long before some internal parts need servicing. Also having the risk of damage during shipping left me questioning this option.

Yeah, the Anthem is a bit more expensive, but it’s new, has a full 5 year warranty, and if arrives damaged will be replaced with a new one. So this amp is definitely the best choice.

I wouldn't be putting ESLs near a bedroom, principally due the the dust that is inherent there.

In the sunny southwest part of the US where I live, dust is an issue no matter which room ESL’s are placed. Interestingly, my bedroom has less dust accumulation than my main theater room.

So I think I’ll be ok.;)

What do you all think about the Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2? It looks like it checks all the boxes, except it’s priced a bit more than I wanted to spend at $2,200. But for what it offers, it looks like a really good 2 channel amp.

Some specs:

•225 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.015% THD with 2 channels driven
•Class AB design with 8 high-current bipolar output transistors per channel for lower distortion
•Advanced Load Monitoring™ technology monitors internal temperature, current, and voltage to ensure safe, uninterrupted operation
•custom-designed binding post terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spade lugs
•detachable power cord

Would this be a good match for my Scenarios? Anyone here know how the sonics are? Neutral, slightly warm, or a tad forward? Would this be a good match for my Sunfire TGIII?

I just received mine yesterday. Hooked it up and it immediately was nothing short of impressive. I have ML 11a Impressions and the amp matches its needs perfectly. Crystal clear and plenty of power. I highly recommend.

That’s a really nice air purifier! Is yours fairly quiet?
Extremely. So much so that my wife actually complained when we first got it. She was used to the louder white noise of the old electrostatic air cleaner we had for many years. It helps her sleep. The old one died out so I bought a new one. That old Sears Air cleaner was about 40 years old!

At slow speed you can barely hear it. If the air gets dirty it will kick up higher automatically. I've got a daughter that likes to burn incense in her room, and it speeds up then. You can also just put it on manual at a constant speed. Not sure if the new version does this, but mine has a port on the top so you can stack multiples on top of each other. I guess for big rooms.

If this air cleaner lasts 40 years it will certainly out live me!

Some specs:

•detachable power cord

I have that amp with em-esl’s and sounds great, moving to ESL -9’s but keeping the amp.

If not mistaken then for optimum sonics preamp and power amp may have identical gain specification.

In addition output of preamp in ohms may be at least 10 times less than power amp input resistance. If preamp output resistance is 100 ohms then power amp input resistance ideally not less than 1000 ohms.

ELS 9 and EM-X are a big step up from Electromotion ELS. EM-X compared to ELS9 on the positive side has better specs, less expensive and on the negative side is purely bass reflex with comparatively less bass and is less solidly built.

I prefer acoustic suspension over bass reflex woofer enclosure.

MCA 225 generation 1 is a great match for ELS 9. Slightly warm sounding. Warmth not reduce resolution of amplifier. MCA 225 G2 highly recommended.

Back