Soft high-pitch buzz from my Prodigies

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

18000rpm

Reaction score
My Prodigies when on emit a faint high-pitched buzz, almost inaudible from my listening position (I can sometimes hear it if I try, with no audio playing) but audible if I put my ear close to the panels. It happens on both speakers and is not affected by source audio volume. The panels are relatively new (1.5 years old and sound great), and the power supply and transformer are new too. Any idea what's the cause and is it possibly "somewhat" normal?

My Aeon i and Summits are completely silent when no audio is playing.

My Prodigy speakers don't have that sound. All parts including the panels are original. They are building me new panels now.

Did you get the panels made new from ML? How about the other new parts? Do you remember hearing the sound before changing out the various parts?

do u have any dimmer switches in the same room, they can cause buzzing in ur system. also do u have a antenna cable attached in ur system and do have any kind of energy saving bulbs ? if so take them out and try again. and also check ur ground connections on ur interconnect cables if it is broken it can pickup noise.

The panels are new from ML and installed by the ML dealer. I'm not sure but I don't think it made the buzz when they were first replaced.

No antenna but I have some Philips Hue lights as part of my home theatre system, which are all connected via power conditioners.

My Prodigies when on emit a faint high-pitched buzz, almost inaudible from my listening position (I can sometimes hear it if I try, with no audio playing) but audible if I put my ear close to the panels. It happens on both speakers and is not affected by source audio volume. The panels are relatively new (1.5 years old and sound great), and the power supply and transformer are new too. Any idea what's the cause and is it possibly "somewhat" normal?

Hola. What happens when there is the odd noise and you turn off the amp? Your amp could be oscillating. If the noise is still once you turned off, could be a debris.
Try to locate the right spot from where the odd noise is stronger. There is the debris.
Happy listening!

To nail down that noise will probably take a lot of troubleshooting. If you have to put your ear up to the speaker you can really ignore it. As soon as your playing music or even step away from the speaker, you can't hear it and it doesn't matter. If you could hear it at your listening spot then that would be a definite problem.

The panels are new from ML and installed by the ML dealer. I'm not sure but I don't think it made the buzz when they were first replaced.

No antenna but I have some Philips Hue lights as part of my home theatre system, which are all connected via power conditioners.
Maybe the lights are doing it? You can test playing your system and taking one component out at a time and see if the noise stops. Isolate the variable. I hope it's something simple like the lights.

Hi.
My prodigy’s are silent too.
Where did you source the new panels and other parts, and at what pricetag?
Hope you nail the source to the noise.

After going through some of the suggestions and doing more testing I realized that the buzz goes away when I'm using an external DAC rather than through my Essence STX II sound card. So it looks like the speakers are fine. Will try to do more debugging to see if I can eliminate them later but as long as the speakers are ok I'm happy :)

After going through some of the suggestions and doing more testing I realized that the buzz goes away when I'm using an external DAC rather than through my Essence STX II sound card. So it looks like the speakers are fine. Will try to do more debugging to see if I can eliminate them later but as long as the speakers are ok I'm happy :)
You might try and see if there is a new driver you can install. If there isn't one, try rolling back to an older driver. I recall having a similar issue once with my Soundblaster card. Their website should have legacy drivers to download and install.

I'm using the latest UNi Xonar drivers which should be fine.

After some debugging I found out it is (at least partly) due to the cables between my PC and amp. Funny thing is they are really expensive Siltech Classic Anniversary RCA interconnects. I replaced them with Monster reference interconnects and the buzz is reduced about 70%.

I'm using the latest UNi Xonar drivers which should be fine.

After some debugging I found out it is (at least partly) due to the cables between my PC and amp. Funny thing is they are really expensive Siltech Classic Anniversary RCA interconnects. I replaced them with Monster reference interconnects and the buzz is reduced about 70%.
You could try an older driver too, I did that once and it got rid of my noise.

Back