So did Santa bring anyone Audio Gear?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score

Last edited:
I got a pair of AKG 501 'phones...

Last edited:
I got a gift certificate for Circuit City. But the best of all was an OK from the wife to go ahead on a deal for a pair of Summits.

Yup, got a set of 6 finite elemente Cerabases for my Summits and I orderer and paid deposit of $9000 for the new APL Hifi NWO-1. :)

Craig said:
I got a gift certificate for Circuit City. But the best of all was an OK from the wife to go ahead on a deal for a pair of Summits.

Does she have a sister? ;)

Yes she does, but she is the evil twin.

Unfortunately I was out-a-luck...

Craig,

I printed up copies of Marks', Joes', Jeffs' and Wardswebs' systems and written recommendations from Dan, Roberto and others and gave them to people with the audio itiems, I was wishing for highlighted, but unfortunately my dreams did not come true this Christmas. Most of my family (with the exception of my son) think I'm harmlessly touched for having spent $7,500.00 (USD) this year alone on a pair of Script i's and Anthem Statement P5 amplifier. However, I'm not giving up hope, I am an optimist maybe next year... ;)

Cheers

-Robin

Being my own Santa, I got a new Fresco center, a Sunfire Cinema 200-7, Monster M2.2 Speaker cables, and some audioquest King Cobra interconnects. Its good getting exactly what you want and having your loved ones finance it.

After investing six months assembling a whole-house streaming PC-audio system (using 3 Squeezeboxes), my wife bought me an iPod for Hanukkah (incompatible with the 400 albums I have thus far ripped to FLAC!). I respectfully returned it, and put the $$ towards a Benchmark DAC1, for our main listening room. Next on my agenda, a tutorial for my wife about FLAC vs. MP3 and AAC!

Hi sleepysurf,

Congrats for the Benchmark DAC1 ! I'm quite certain you'll like it ( I sure love mine :D ).

Enjoy !

FLAC vs. MP3 and AAC...

sleepysurf said:
After investing six months assembling a whole-house streaming PC-audio system (using 3 Squeezeboxes), my wife bought me an iPod for Hanukkah (incompatible with the 400 albums I have thus far ripped to FLAC!). I respectfully returned it, and put the $$ towards a Benchmark DAC1, for our main listening room. Next on my agenda, a tutorial for my wife about FLAC vs. MP3 and AAC!
sleepysurf,

OK I'll admit it, I am with your wife... :confused: I need a tutorial about FLAC vs. MP3 and AAC. Is their some way to explain it simply and easily, for the high tech challenged audiophiles like me.

I just now looked up the Benchmark DAC1 on Google to see what you purchased:

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/dac1/

The Benchmark DAC1 seems very interesting as well as beneficial towards improving the sound through conversion from digital to analog, correct?

Cheers

-Robin

Last edited:
Got a Channel Islands DAC

Got the new VDA-2 DAC and VAC power supply. Unfortunately, after over 200 hours breaking in, my ears are not good enough to tell the difference between it and the existing filter/DAC on my Rotel RCC-955 changer. So I will probably send it back.

Robin said:
OK I'll admit it, I am with your wife... :confused: I need a tutorial about FLAC vs. MP3 and AAC. Is their some way to explain it simply and easily, for the high tech challenged audiophiles like me.

Robin, there's quite a bit of internet chatter about the audiophile capabilities of PC-audio in general, and the Slimdevices Squeezebox, in particular.

For starters, check out this blog (not mine) about building a squeezebox based Audiophile Music Server...
http://musicserver.blogspot.com/

There are also many discussions about the Squeezebox (and similar technology) at audioasylum.com (PC-audio section), audiocircle.com, or hydrogenaudio.org (for FLAC, MP3, other Codec discussions).

IMHO, the simplicity of streaming lossless audio (i.e. FLAC), with or without an outboard DAC, directly to your amp, and then to planar speakers like ML's, is the simplest path to audio nirvana.

I received a McIntosh MC 2102 power amp, Monster Power HTS 150, 6 feet of Element Cable Twisted Pair Interconnects, Grado SR125 headphones, plus various CDs and vinyl records. I guess it was a good year! :p

Artar1 said:
I received a McIntosh MC 2102 power amp, Monster Power HTS 150, 6 feet of Element Cable Twisted Pair Interconnects, Grado SR125 headphones, plus various CDs and vinyl records. I guess it was a good year! :p

I guess I will be able to use my computer again once the drool that fell on the keys drys.... :eek:

My wife got me a set of tube traps and an Ayre C5xe (which was backordered and didn't arrive until my birthday on DEC 30).

Latest posts

Back