So Close I Can Taste It....(I mean hear it)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmchism

Reaction score
After looking for my first pair of Logan's, I finally made the plunge...and I couldn't be more excited. I found a great deal on a brand spanking new pair of vantages. I won't be getting them for a couple of weeks so I can only imagine how unbareable the wait will be. However, the good news is that it gives me the time to find the other components. I didn't really plan on making this purchase for a few more months, but sometimes there is just an opportunity you just can't pass up. Since I'm living in a NYC apartment, the vantages are the biggest I could pull off, but I can't wait to finally have a sound that fills my room.
While the room that these speakers will be in is far from a pure listening room, after a little treatment should work quite nicely. Now, here comes the reason for my writing this post. I know that everyone on here is as crazy about great sound, and opinionated as I am, and that's why I love it. I'm starting this system from scratch, and while I have TONS of ideas about how I should go about it, I always want to get other people's opinion. At heart I'm a home theater guy, but since I'm starting with just the Vantage's I want a preamp/reciever that that excels at 2-channel as well. I'm slightly partial to the preamp/amp setup so I can get a two channel amp now, and upgrade when I add the surrounds (script i's) and center (esl...when it comes out).

Any thoughts???

What is your budget? I'm starting cheap...and upgrading one piece at a time...once I get my Vantages. For a nice low price point ($500) I've taken the plunge for an Emotiva LMC-1. It's still pre-ordered...so I can't tell you how it sounds...but I've got my fingers crossed. For the price, it sounds like it's going to be a winner... both for 2-channel and HT.

If you've got a bigger budget, you certainly have many more options available...but I can't help you with those!

My first upgrade is going to be the AES SixPacs :) I can't wait.

Wait, what am I saying...don't even have the Vantages yet, and I'm already excited about upgrading.

cmchism,

First of all, congratulations on a great speaker and I do not think you will want for a whole lot more. I too am partial to a preamp/amp combination because of its versatility. I built my system as a 2-channel and expanded it to encompass HT without compromising the 2-channel creation.

A lot depends on your taste in sound and how much you can spend not how much you would like to spend. You will get a ton of opinions and mine will be just one of many. I prefer a tube preamp and a solid state amp for my liking. I believe this does give me the best of both worlds with the least amount of trade off. It also depends on the speakers and just as important the room.

The Vantages do not require massive amounts of power/current to perform well. I would say quality over quantity. It also depends on the type of music you listen to and how loud will also dictate what is right for you.

I would look at other people’s systems here especially ones that are close to the Vantages/Summit combination but do not limit yourself to just those. I would also try to audition as much equipment as you can in a store and then when you get the Vantages with the Vantages because then you will be better informed to make the “right” decision.

I would say ask many questions even if you already know the answer, always try to stay with in your means and trust your own instincts, feelings and ears and someone else’s.

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

Like Jeff, I use a tube preamp with a solid state amp, which to me is a good combination for a music + HT system. I spent the bucks on the preamp and amp, then went with an inexpensive receiver for HT. There are various posts here (and elsewhere) about how to integrate these.

Yesterday a friend came over and we listened to some stereo music, some multichannel music, some concert videos, and finally some film clips. His main comment is that my system imaged the same for two-channel music, multichannel music, and movie soundtracks.

That's what he thinks, as he's comparing MLs to speakers he's familiar with. I think I still have a long way to go, but I mention this to tell you that the starting point with MLs is pretty high, especially for a combination music + HT system.

Something you can look forward to! Enjoy your MLs!

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replys!!! While I'm still far from decided I do appreciate your insights and personal opinions. Now that I've got started its only a matter of stopping right??? HAHA Anyway, this'll be a fun weekend exploring the shops in NYC. Any ML owners in the city? I'm guessing there's more than a few! Anyone already have some vantages set up? I'll bring the food and beer!!! Again, I appreciate the ideas and any others would be welcomed. Just as an initial thought, I'm probably looking to keep the pre/amp purchase under 4K (unless I'm tempted otherwise) So suggestions in that range are even better!!! TWO WEEKS AND COUNTING!!!!

Since you'll be shopping in the NYC area I would think you could find some Art Audio tube gear since they are local. That is if Rhode Island is considered local. But then I'm from Florida so what do I know about NYC? Sounds like a fun weekend anyway.

Last edited:
cmchism said:
I'm probably looking to keep the pre/amp purchase under 4K (unless I'm tempted otherwise) So suggestions in that range are even better!!!

Some ideas, based on Audiogon:

ARC 150.2 amp $1650
ARC LS-16 preamp $1900

BAT VK5i preamp $1900
BAT VK200 $1100

Blue Circle BC-3 Galatea $1550
Blue Circle BC24 amp $1095

...this last combo's been sold, but you get the idea
...happy shopping!

I concur with Jeff , it is so much easier to build a superb "HT" sysytem around a great two channel set-up than vice-versa. I have been listening to tubed pre, solid state amp combinations for over twenty years and that is what "floats my boat". I bought my Plinius SA-102 from John Rutan @ Audio Connection in Verona, NJ 973-239-1799. He's a good guy with good pricing and a nice selection of products, not to mention he's close to NYC !!

Good Luck !!

Last edited:
cm -

I've been a NYC audiophile since the early 70's. Here are my suggestions for shopping: Lyric and Sound by Singer are OK, but do not expect any follow-ups from their salespeople. Both stores require a wait for merchandise to be shipped from the manufacturer. I try to stay away from Harvey, as their salespeople know next to nothing and do not seem to remember what they promised you. There is a nice little audio store in Babylon (50 miles or so from Manhattan) that sells MartinLogan and Audio Research, Bryston, etc. They are very helpful. A nice experience, in general. I've purchased from all 3 stores I've recommended and will probably continue to do so. Any other questions? Ask away!

PS: the name of the Babylon store is AudioVisions.

Component recommendations..

cmchism,

Welcome to the ML Club!

I would recommend you audition as much as you can, and always - Trust your ears... Having said that, I built a HT system first, beacuse I love films so much. I watch film about 80% of the time. Don't get me wrong I love music too.

If I was to start with a Stereo or two channel system first, I would go for high quality 'used' equipment. IMHO I would not invest in a tubed pre-amp. I would go with tubed mono-block amplifer(s). I would then invest in a quality (used) source SACD/CD player, like the MaIntosh MCD201, capable of driving the tubed mono-blocks. The source only has to have, six volts to power the tube amp(s). I think the sound produced from Vanatges would be breath-taking with this set-up, and no pre-amp (in the signal path) required. ;)

Later, when thinking of HT, I would go with seporates. I would add a solid state (SS) pre-amp / processor, which would be able to play all the latest HT sound combinations and is up-gradable (never obselete) to the latest ever changing sound combinations i. e., HD-True, DTS-HD, etc... I have been concidering SS pre-amp Anthem D1 or D2 for this reason, for the best quality up-gradable HT enjoyment.

I would then recommend for HT a high quality class A/B, SS five channel amplifier like Anthem Statement P5, PASS Labs, Classe, Sim Audio - Moon Aurora, Cary Audio - Cinema X, or Musical Fidelity A5 to name but a few. A front projection monitor, IMHO is best for a wonderful HT soundstage.

Ultimately, it is your ears and your desission. Good luck on your audio quest... ;)

It's good to have you here. :D

Last edited:
New Thoughts....

So after a little further research, and some (but not nearly enough) listening, I've come up with two potential routes thus far. Since the end goal is HT, I'm keeping that in mind with all my options. Here's my thoughts so far.

Option 1:
Musical Fidelity A5, with A5 CD player (or potentially other player). With this option I'd most likely purchase a medium level HT reciever in a bit to power the center and surrounds, and use the HT bypass on the A5 to power the the vantages in the front

Option 2:
B&K Ref50 and 200.7. This obviously is a more all encompassing solution at the moment and allows a more consistent sound throughout. While this is the way I'm leaning, just wanted to throw this out there to get a little feedback.

Thanks,
Chris

cmchism said:
Option 1:
Musical Fidelity A5, with A5 CD player (or potentially other player). With this option I'd most likely purchase a medium level HT reciever in a bit to power the center and surrounds, and use the HT bypass on the A5 to power the the vantages in the front
This is the type of scenario I run in my setup (different equipment), but I use a medium level/mainstream HT Receiver for powering my Center and Rear Surrounds. (rear surrounds for 7.1 - not the surrounds in a 5.1)

I would not use the HT Reciever to power the Mains or the Surrounds.

In my setup, I Pre Out for Mains (back through HT Passthrough) and Pre Out for Surrounds.

For myself, I would go with the MF equipment over the B&K.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
This is the type of scenario I run in my setup (different equipment), but I use a medium level/mainstream HT Receiver for powering my Center and Rear Surrounds.

I would not use the HT Reciever to power the Mains or the Surrounds.

In my setup, I Pre Out for Mains (back through HT Passthrough) and Pre Out for Surrounds.

For myself, I would go with the MF equipment over the B&K.

Dan
cmchism,

I concur with Dan.

MF A5 - your option #1 sounds great. ;)

If you haven't already, I would highly recommend auditioning Musical Fidelity audio gear...

Latest posts

Back