Snap! Crackle! Pop!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tube60

Reaction score
Greetings all!
Recently I moved to my new place with my honey (fortunately she likes my ML Sequels) and after setting them up, I noticed that the membranes in the panels had become a little wrinkled with the change in the environment, and from the move itself. I VERY carefully worked the wrinkles out with a heat-gun, which I've done in the past. The membranes are intact; I didn't over stretch them. What happens now is a fairly loud descending hiss, followed by some loud snaps, crackles, and pops when the system is turned on. I've isolated the issue to the speakers and not the amp or preamp. Last time I got some wrinkles out, this happened first time I plugged them back in, but this time it's been going on for over two weeks now. It's getting quieter now, but only just. The panels have been carefully vacuumed, and the stators on both sides are clean as well.
Time for new panels? :(

I would give the fine folk over at ML a call as dee what they say about it. They are amazing and they never give you a bad suggestion. They are honest to boot so its great!

MartinLogan Ltd.
2101 Delaware Street
Lawrence, Kansas 66046
785.749.0133 Main

I would give them a call personally, but that is the only advice I have on this particular subject...because I have never heard of this before haha.

Thanks Jordan!
Yeah, I will contact them at some point. Instinct tells me I need new panels, but time will tell on that. They or other Forum members here may have a specific experience like mine and will be able to steer me in the right direction.

Yeah like I said this is the only advice I could offer, but good luck! Come back and let us know when you figure it out so we can all absorb your new found knowledge!

Also, if the speakers are connected to the mains A.C. , but if you disconnect them from the amplifier, do you have the same pop sound? If you do, then try to locate the exact point of where this popping sound is coming from, and usually it is caused by a debris. With the aid of a 1" paint brush, you can reach this debris and remove it from the stat panel. Also use the vacumm cleaner when you are doing the cleaning with the brush. Do no worry, you will not harm the panel. I hope this can help. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Yes Roberto, dust/debris was my first thought too, but based on his info I thought that that might not be the case, but I could tottally be wrong.

Definitely sounds like discharge, could be the panel (in case of dirty panels) or your amp (in case of bad tube(s))

Last resort may be giving the panel a bath

The last resort (before panel replacement) always seems to giving the panel a bath/shower. There are many positive reports concering this method. Directions can be found in the tweak section.

Hi Tube 60, I have the early, original Sequels. I keep them vacuumed (once a month, it's dusty here in AZ). In my old house we had a swamp cooler, no a/c, and after some prolific rains in the summer, the panels got so saturated they could barely play, after a dry out they would crackle and pop slightly when the amp powered up, this went away after a few weeks. My new place has a/c so no problems during the rainy season.

However, I recently tested a new amp, a D-chip output in place of my Yamaha MX-800U, the little x-amps surprised me with a return of the crackle an pop on turn on, they also had an amazing grip soundwise of the panels. Me thinks this could be related to the amp/speaker synergy. My panels are original from new, 1986 or so, that's a long time. ML customer service is first rate, they recommended a replacement, not because of the pops, but because the garuantee they will sound several times better than the old ones. I'm saving my pennies. So, I hope that helped. As already mentioned, try a wash first and then think about new panels. Craig

Thanks guys for the replies and advice.
The panels are doing this independent of the amp or preamp. If I unplug them, the symptoms show up when I plug them in, or when I turn the system on and the ML's come out of standby mode. The stators and membranes are as clean as I can make them. I'll try again, but I don't believe that will make a difference. I could be surprised though! However my instincts lean toward replacement. The current production panels are really great, and I'd like them simply as an upgrade anyway.

I hope this comes in time to help.

I had similar problems with both brand new and used clsIIz panels. I replaced a used panel with the problem and the new panel had the same problem. The new panel was due to my error during installation.

My friend and helper noticed a tiny blue spark at the bottom of the panel when I asked him to check on the the incessant snapping sound.

One event was visible in daylight and the other was visible in the dark. It was the wire connecting to the electronics board that was arcing high voltage. It is the thin red, black, and blue stator wire. He put some of that yellow tape on it, I think he called it kapton tape. It is the same yellow transparent taped used by Martin Logan on their panels. The tape is used to insulate high voltage. It was used to insulate parts of the wire that lost it's insulation and prevent arcing.

Now the panels don't snap.

Regards

Duke

Thanks again guys for the advice!
It's still happening, although not so severe now. I've checked for arcing and so far found nothing, and the panels are as clean as I can get them with vacuuming. I'll get them apart to refinish the rails (tired of oak) and I'll go through all the connections again, in case I missed something.

If the crack is coming from certain point, you have a debris there. Check if the odd noise is from the whole panel. Also you can turn on the stand by mode with just a little signal, and then disconnect it right away one speaker cable, plus or minus, and listen if you have the problem. Hope you can find it,
Roberto.

Back