SMS-1 is now in stock and shipping

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SMS-1 practical use...

Dan,

I am also glad to hear that you are enjoying your new toy... :D

There are a few simple (dumb) questions I have, Dan...
Please tell me how it is hooked-up? Does it control your subwoofer? Or do your make adjustments to your subwoofer based on the measurements and information that the SMS-1, gives you? Also, is the SMS-1 hooked-up to your monitor - for an on screen display?

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
There are a few simple (dumb) questions I have, Dan...
Please tell me how it is hooked-up? Does it control your subwoofer? Or do your make adjustments to your subwoofer based on the measurements and information that the SMS-1, gives you? Also, is the SMS-1 hooked-up to your monitor - for an on screen display?

Robin and all other SMS-1 interested parties...here is some more on the unit.

First, from Velodyne:

"The SMS-1, featuring Velodyne's revolutionary Digital Drive room correction software, provides all the tools you'll need to adapt ANY subwoofer to the anomalies of your room. With all the features of Digital Drive, including full DSP control, an on-screen display and 8-band digital parametric equalizer, you can see your subwoofer and room's unique characteristics on your TV and adjust the sub's performance accordingly."

Translation: It is a Room/Sub EQ system allowing you to tailor your sub response for your equipment and your room. It comes with all patch cords to hook up to your Pre Amp and/or HT Receiver/Processor, a microphone which looks like a Behringer ECM8000 (already calibrated for the SMS-1) and a 20ft Microphone cable.

My system hookup: My ARC SP-16L preamp has two main outs and I run one to my CLSIIz's amp (Full Range) and I run the other to the SMS-1, which then has a summed output (it also has a L/R output) to my Sub Amp. BTW, the SMS-1 accepts either RCA or XLR.

SMS-1: Video output, either RCA or S-Video to my HT Receiver so I can see output on TV screen. You could also buy a unit from ViewSonic that would allow you to send this RCA/S-Video output to the Viewsonic, which in turn is connected to a Computer Monitor. But the TV works fine. Why did I mention this? I will cover later on in the message.

Simplicity: Quick and dirty. Hook up the mic, auto EQ and done. The Auto EQ runs 25 sweeps from 15Hz - 200Hz and sets the 8 Parametric band EQ to its best settings. You can be done at that point if you wish. But with SO MUCH MORE TO PLAY WITH, why stop there :D

Next: You then go into the setup of the unit and modify the response by manipulating the 8 Parametric Bands. These can have a +6 boost, or a -13 cut. These bands can be moved from 15 Hz to 120Hz, even stacking multiple bands on top of one another - if you wish. Each band can also have the "Q" value changed.

Next Part Two: You can then change the Low Pass Xover & Slope, Phase, Polarity, SubSonic Xover & Slope for the setup of a single EQ.

Next Part Three: Now there are 6 Presets you have with the system. Each has all of the "Next Part Two" sections, along with a specific Frequency decided by YOU, where you can boost or cut at that specific Hz. For instance the #1 Preset has a boost of 3dB at 35Hz which is great for adding that low end boost for action/adventure movies - giving your that low end feeling :)

Next Part Four: You can change ANY of the settings I mentioned above and then go back a screen and see the REAL TIME results of your changes, graphically.

Each of the 6 Presets can have their own EQ. Right now I am using one EQ setting for my room.

How I am using the PreSets is as follows:

PreSet #1: has all the same settings but I have the Contour Frequency set for 35Hz and have a 3dB boost on it - this I use when watching movies.

Other PreSet #2 - #5: No Contour Boost or Cut, but I do have different Low Pass Xover points set. #2 = 60Hz, #3 = 80Hz, #4 = 100Hz, #5 = 120Hz. Note that these also have the same Low Pass Xover Slope used. So when listening to a source that is thin or weak, or too much bass, I choose a PreSet and adjust volume levels to obtain the bass response that I like. So far these have worked very well for me.

There is one last Preset #6 - This has all the same settings as #1 thru #5, but when engaged it BYPASSES the EQ. This preset will allow you to experience what the SMS-1 is really doing for your music in your room for your setup. This is a GREAT feature to really see what you are getting from the SMS-1.

OKAY RESULTS? That is the bottom line here isn't it? See picture of my results at the bottom of this message (So far with the limited playing around, this is the best graph I can get). Sorry I do not have the original. The original had some serious peaks and dips and I was really amazed at what the unit could do to get me to the point you see in the picture.

Impression - Excellent change to low end detail and of course sound.

In Bypass mode - Boomy bass, sometimes overwhelming the music unless turned down, then with low volume levels the bass can become non-existant.

EQ Engaged: No boom, hearing parts of instruments that were veiled before. Able to add more volume without adding boom either when needed or wanted. Very easy to change from EQ to Bypass mode to hear the difference.

When I first set it up, I did the quick and dirty auto-EQ, and listened. I thought what difference did it make? I then switched to Bypass Mode...ah ha...that's the difference!!!! After the few hours of playing around with it, I am very pleased with the addition of the SMS-1 to my setup. For those looking to get Bass improvement to their system - that should be all of us :D - this is a must addition.

Small Note: When ever you want to make a change to any of the settings, except the PreSet Selection and Volume level, you will need to use the TV to see them. While the SMS-1 does have a Front Panel display (display can be turned ON or OFF), none of the other settings can be seen there. Maybe this will be possible in the Future. Remember that I mentioned the Computer Monitor Hookup above. Here is where this might come in handy if you are a constant TINKERER :). You could have an extra monitor, say a flat panel type, hooked up and at any time, where you could see settings without having to use the TV. I see this as a minor issue as PreSets can be used to a point for some changes. But lets say you really want the ability to change the Low Pass filter from what you have set in the PreSets - 60 is not enough, and 80 is too much, to change to 72, you would need to see the display. AGAIN, I think this is REAL NITPICKING and is not really an issue to be concerned about...but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Upgrading: The SMS-1 is upgradable for the software via a RS-232 Port. So any updates to the Digital Drive software from Velodyne is easily done. With this being the initial release of the unit, I would plan to see changes and upgrades in the future. Do not be surpised if the front panel display is not used more extensively in the future.

Dan

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
SMS-1 Reviewed by Dan...

Dan,

You are to be congradulated, Thank you for such an in depth and concise review! :D I understand so much more about, what the SMS-1, is capible of contributing to bass management. Dan, if you could be so kind as to please give me some additional clarifcation i. e., ansewer some more (dumb) questions, I would appreciate it...

1). Am I correct in understanding, that the SMS-1 controls the EQ and parametric bands sent from the processor source, before the signal goes to the subwoofer? The SMS-1, adjusts the signal (EQ, Parametric bands etc.) from the processor, then passes that newly (SMS-1) adjusted infomation / signal to the subwoofer, thus controlling the subwoofer's bass out-put? The SMS-1 then monitors / sweeps the room, to giving you feed back visa vee the graphic on your TV monitor? Is that correct?

2). If #1 is correct..., then would my Descent subwoofer's adjustment knobs i. e., Phase, Level, and 25Hz Level, be set to nuteral / medium or "0", as the SMS-1 would be controling and adjustmenting the bass signal?..., Or would I have the freedom to adjust both, the SMS-1 and the Descents controls, to find the most even sound for the individual HT room?

If the SMS-1, is as versital, as you are discribing and as I think, it would do wonders for my HT, as well as, music listening.... :D

Currently, I have my Pioneer Txi59, A/V reciever processing all speakers set to "small" for "THX Ultra 2" movie playing, which I enjoy 80% of the time. But, when I what to listen to music, I switch my Pioneer reciever over to "Stereo" mode, which means front speakers only, with all bass going to the subwoofer only. I think, the SMS-1 would be excellent, for my needs simply because the SMS-1's capacity to handle all bass, all the time, perfectly balancing the room and my electronics, at the same time. What makes it even better is that with the pre-justed, 'pre-set ' functions, bass can be modulated with ease... :D

Thanks again, for your excellent review, Dan.

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
You are to be congradulated, Thank you for such an in depth and concise review! :D I understand so much more about, what the SMS-1, is capible of contributing to bass management.

Robin...I am glad it helped you and hopefully others in understanding exactly what the SMS-1 does.

1). Am I correct in understanding, that the SMS-1 controls the EQ and parametric bands sent from the processor source, before the signal goes to the subwoofer?

You are correct.. Between Sub and Pre Amp or Sub and LFE of Processor/HT Unit.

The SMS-1, adjusts the signal (EQ, Parametric bands etc.) from the processor, then passes that newly (SMS-1) adjusted infomation / signal to the subwoofer, thus controlling the subwoofer's bass output?

Correct. Controlling? More like modifying the signal sent to the sub. This in turn helps the sound at the position you have the microphone setup for the testing.

Another nice this about the SMS-1. Ever wondered where the BEST place is for your Sub? Well just have the SMS-1 running the frequency sweeps while moving the sub around the room and find the best place for it by the response graph.

The SMS-1 then monitors / sweeps the room, to giving you feed back visa vee the graphic on your TV monitor? Is that correct?

Correct. You TV is the display device commonly used for seeing the Frequency Graph and the settings.

2). If #1 is correct..., then would my Descent subwoofer's adjustment knobs i. e., Phase, Level, and 25Hz Level, be set to nuteral / medium or "0", as the SMS-1 would be controling and adjustmenting the bass signal?..., Or would I have the freedom to adjust both, the SMS-1 and the Descents controls, to find the most even sound for the individual HT room?

What I would do, is have the SMS-1 be playing the sweeps while adjusting the setting on your Descent to get the best graph you can with the Descent settings. Then I would engage the SMS-1 to modify the signal even more to get the best of both worlds.

If the SMS-1, is as versital, as you are discribing and as I think, it would do wonders for my HT, as well as, music listening....

From my experience it is very versatile. Make sure you go to the Velodyne site to download the brochure and manual reading about all that it can do. Words are nice for me, but the results have been great.

I think, the SMS-1 would be excellent, for my needs simply because the SMS-1's capacity to handle all bass, all the time, perfectly balancing the room and my electronics, at the same time. What makes it even better is that with the pre-justed, 'pre-set ' functions, bass can be modulated with ease

I assume you run your Sub out the LFE of the Pioneer?

The Pre-Sets are great for me and my use. By changing the Xover point I can add more low end overlap from the Sub and the Panels, hence adding more low end signal for the lacking source - or I can do the reverse with a lower setting to reduce overlap and cut back on the low end.

Remember, the Pre Sets can also have their OWN EQ SETTING which would give your 5 DIFFERENT EQ's for whatever type of response you are looking for. For me the single room EQ is what I am looking for and I just add/remove volume or change Xover point.

Yes - very flexible. Oh and BTW, it can control up to THREE SUB's with one unit and can be Daisy-Chained if the need for more sub control. So for those with Stereo Subs, the SMS-1 is also a valid option.

BUT....Remember with all of these settings, changes, etc. it all comes down to what sounds best for you. Personally I like the ability to get the flat response, then adjust from there for the source....Trust your ears!!!

Dan

Last edited:
All my Q's have been ansewered, Thanks Dan...

DTB300 said:
Robin...I am glad it helped you and hopefully others in understanding exactly what the SMS-1 does.

From my experience it is very versatile. Make sure you go to the Velodyne site to download the brochure and manual reading about all that it can do. Words are nice for me, but the results have been great.

I assume you run your Sub out the LFE of the Pioneer?

The Pre-Sets are great for me and my use. By changing the Xover point I can add more low end overlap from the Sub and the Panels, hence adding more low end signal for the lacking source - or I can do the reverse with a lower setting to reduce overlap and cut back on the low end.

Remember, the Pre Sets can also have their OWN EQ SETTING which would give your 6 DIFFERENT EQ's for whatever type of response you are looking for. For me the single room EQ is what I am looking for and I just add/remove volume or change Xover point.

Yes - very flexible. Oh and BTW, it can control up to THREE SUB's with one unit and can be Daisy-Chained if the need for more sub control. So for those with Stereo Subs, the SMS-1 is also a valid option.

BUT....Remember with all of these settings, changes, etc. it all comes down to what sounds best for you. Personally I like the ability to get the flat response, then adjust from there for the source....Trust your ears!!!

Dan

Dan,

Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to explaining and clairifying, in even more glorious detail... Now, I understand, you were extremely clear and helpful.

Now I want one... :D :D :D

At least, I know what, I want for Christmas...

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to explaining and clairifying, in even more glorious detail... Now, I understand, you were extremely clear and helpful.
Great to hear I clear up some things for you.

At least, I know what, I want for Christmas...
Don't forget to be good from now until Christmas....but then again, make sure to be a little naughtly too :eek:

Dan

Mine should be here in the next ten days. Cannot wait! :D Thanks for the review DBT, but it made the waiting even more difficult!

BTW, do you use the phase control on your sub or the one on the SMS-1.

Last edited:
attyonline said:
BTW, do you use the phase control on your sub or the one on the SMS-1.
I do not have a ML Sub. Mine is a Passive sub with an external Power Amp of my choice. The Power Amp has been modified with an additional circuit so it can run in Mono (300W) or Stereo by the flick of a switch. So to answer your question, the SMS-1

Dan

This weekend I am planning on writing down all my settings on the SMS-1, then resetting it and getting a picture of the graph before equalization. This way more people can get an idea on the changes the unit had on my setup and my room.

Overall, I am very pleased with the results the SMS-1 has had on the Bass response and cures to my room. A great new toy :D and a great improvement in how my system sounds - another step up in performance.

Dan

Last edited:
DTB300 said:
Overall, I am very pleased with the results the SMS-1 has had on the Bass response and cures to my room. A great new toy :D and a great improvement in how my system sounds - another step up in performance.

Dan
Do you know by chance whether it is possible with the SMS-1 to introduce a time delay by any means? I use 2 subs with different distances from the seating place, and it would be handy if I could use the SMS for both room and distance correction.

Got mine this week and its great! Did only an auto EQ for now, but will get the video up and running this weekend and do some tweaking! :)

Latest posts

Back