SMS-1 and Descent

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marck

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about adding a SMS-1 to my Descent - is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Also, how would I connect this into my system? I am currently connecting my Descent using Transparent Super Balanced to my Krell HTS 7.1 - would I need another balanced interconnect to use as either the input to the SMS-1 or as the output to the Descent? Or could I use an RCA as say the input and the balanced lead as the output?

Any advice is much appreciated.
From a sunny and warm London, UK :)
Marc

I feel that the SMS1 is almost a requirement for proper sub integration. The SMS1 will get your room all flattened out in a matter of 2-3 minutes, what a great little guy!

I say, do it! ;)

KK, I'm going to bed.

A little story for you. I have a Depth with Aeon i and Cinema setup. I bought my SMS-1 last fall when it came out since I wanted one since I first heard of it. It made a great improvement with my system, taking out a huge peak between 20 and 35 hz. Here's the story. I had an SVS Ultra then a Velodyne before I bought my Depth. Position of sub and speakers was the same. When I got my Depth and did my EQ sweep with the Depth, there was a dip in frequency between 60 and 80 hz. Found that reversing polarity to negative flattened the response! There is no reason for this change I can find since nothing changed except the sub and there is no data from ML indicating that the sub inverts polarity. Without the SMS-1, I would never know of this anomaly and would have like blamed the sub. Please note this is not a phase issue and would not be cured by the phase control on the sub.

Last edited:
attyonline said:
Found that reversing polarity to negative flattened the response!
And because you can do all the changes to a sub in '"real-time", you can see what effects each of these changes has on the response curve - this is one of the best features of the SMS-1. Besides the EQing of course... :D The SMS-1 has been one of the best additions to my system.

The only negative talk I have read about the SMS-1 has been the 15Hz Subsonic Filter point. Velodyne just put out an update so this can be set to 5Hz.

Dan

Thanks for all your replies.

So it looks like it is a must :)

Could I just ask how you are connecting the SMS-1 in the system i.e. balanced, RCA or combination of both

Thanks
Marc

marck said:

Could I just ask how you are connecting the SMS-1 in the system i.e. balanced, RCA or combination of both
Try it out yourself to see if it is a MUST for your setup. Personally I think it is a great product.

I use RCA for my connections. I have two Main Outputs from Pre Amp. One goes to Main Amp for CLSIIz's (runs full range), the other goes to SMS-1 then to Sub Amp.

Dan

marck said:
Thanks for all your replies.

Thanks
Marc

Regarding your question about cabling, I would probably just continue with another set of balanced cable since you already are using them. It cant hurt. Plus the connectors are more solid. :)

This ability to measure and see what’s going on is why the SMS-1 the DEQX and speaker processors like the DriveRack are such a wonderful innovation.

My take is that trying to tune a system without adequate measurement tools is like trying to adjust the color on your TV blindfolded, then looking at the result and wondering why it’s not quite right ;)

Tuning the bass is one of the best paths to audio happiness, whether you use and DSP based processor or use room tuning tools (RPG or tube traps), the measured results generally are like night and day.

Enjoy your SMS

Back