Smoke Pit Barbeque

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarMedia

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people on this site are passionate about smoked meats.

I'm not talking about the little weber grill with some coals and hickory chips, but serious, passionate 12-hour slow smoking the meats.

Has anyone built their own pit or smoker before? I would be interested in hearing your story.

Thanks.

We are about to dig a pit and do up a pig. My roommate is samoan, grew up in New Zealand, and works as a sushi chef.....I have had pit roasted pig before and it is awesome!! So we are planning a full on pit BBQ this fall.

Nothing better than BBQ and Logans.

Steve,

I was speaking with my dad last night and he mentioned that NC is the place to go for the best. I think he said that it even originated there too. So before last night I might not have known what you meant. I had always thought slow smoke BBQ was from the SW or midwest.

Can you recommend a few names I can look up on the internet? I heard Bubba's was a good one. Do you agree?

...and do you have any recipes to share?

Audiophiliac said:
We are about to dig a pit and do up a pig.

Audiophiliac, I have eaten smoked pig except it was done in a traditional Hawaiian style where it was buried in the ground on hot coals. Mighty tasty stuff.

I too am thinking about building a pit and here's something I found on the net lastnight. It offers some rather good building plans.

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm

I love smoked Fish. Living in Chicago I have access to some good BBQm real BBQ not grilled. I just got back from Houston and I do love the BBQ down in TX. Nothing like slow cooked brisket. Cutting into the meat and seeing the smoke ring is a beautiful thing.

SteveInNC said:
I'm in Eastern NC, 'nuff said...
I was at a party where they cooked a whole pig, then prepared all the meat (pulled into shredded type look) with a vinegar (???) based BBQ. It was a dry type BBQ, not the typical sauce covered inudated stuff. Probably the best I have had to date... And yes these folks came up to visit from the Carolina's towing their BBQ cooker behind them.

Dan

SugarMedia said:
Audiophiliac, I have eaten smoked pig except it was done in a traditional Hawaiian style where it was buried in the ground on hot coals. Mighty tasty stuff.

I too am thinking about building a pit and here's something I found on the net lastnight. It offers some rather good building plans.

Yeah thats what we are doing. I may have mis-communicated it. ;)

SugarMedia said:

Although I've never met him, Dave Lineback, the author of the above, lives about eight miles from me.

You can smoke pork shoulders on a typical charcoal grill, so you don't need as elaborate a rig as Dave has. Dedicated smokers do make it easier though, because they typically seal better, so you have better control of the air getting to the coals, which also gives better control of the cooking temperature. Serious pig pickins do a whole hog at once (about 130 pounds pre-cooked weight). Traditionally, the pig is smoked with hardwood coals, usually oak, that have been fired in a separate fire then shoveled under the cooking grid. An alternative is an offset-smoker that has a fire box built onto the side of the grill. You put lump charcoal or small logs into the side box, which then feeds heat and smoke into the main cooking chamber. A number of portable smokers use gas/propane. This gives much easier control of the heat. While still darn good, it doesn't taste quite the same as wood-fired barbecue.

One of the original ways to make a smoker was to cut a (clean) 55-gallon steel drum in half lengthwise. One half serves as the grill and the other half serves as the lid.

There are custom manufacturers that do everything from simple smokers like the above to full custom trailer rigs. Klose is one of these:
http://www.bbqpits.com/

You can also use Japanese-style kamado cookers like this:
http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Bob Garner is a local authority on NC barbecue, and has written a couple of books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0895871521/102-9966792-8703302?v=glance&n=283155). He did a hour long PBS special about the subject, and at the end shows how to smoke a shoulder on a normal grill and how to prepare the sauce and other side items, which typically includes boiled potatos, slaw, Southern-style green beans, and Brunswick stew. I don't know if that part is in the book though. The real trick is to cook the pork for a looong time with indirect heat at about 200-250 degrees F. This gives the collagen and connective tissue in the meat a chance to melt into it, as opposed to getting tough. Eastern NC style sauce is vinegar-based, with red pepper flakes, Western style has some tomato sauce in it too. South Carolina style has mustard in it.

SteveInNC said:
There are custom manufacturers that do everything from simple smokers like the above to full custom trailer rigs. Klose is one of these:
http://www.bbqpits.com/

Steve,

Many thanks for this link... this site had some information that was exactly what I was looking for. My buddy and I are now seriously thinking about purchasing one of these Klose smokers. (and they ship worldwide)

Attachments

• 30x30_upright.jpg
    30x30_upright.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 105
Dead pig eating

SugarMedia said:

I'm not talking about the little weber grill with some coals and hickory chips, but serious, passionate 12-hour slow smoking the meats.

Has anyone built their own pit or smoker before? I would be interested in hearing your story.

Thanks.
this is great if you want to give yourself colon or stomach cancer or maybe even some heart disease from all the saturated fat. Why don't you try eating some healthy fruits and vegetables? You will enjoy your ML speakers much longer!

Horrible!!!

:mad:
SugarMedia said:
Steve,

Many thanks for this link... this site had some information that was exactly what I was looking for. My buddy and I are now seriously thinking about purchasing one of these Klose smokers. (and they ship worldwide)
There is almost nothing worse for your body. You are KILLING INNOCENT ANIMALS and cooking them in that nazi style oven. DISQUSTING!! :mad:

Rik_Rankin said:
this is great if you want to give yourself colon or stomach cancer or maybe even some heart disease from all the saturated fat. Why don't you try eating some healthy fruits and vegetables? You will enjoy your ML speakers much longer!

I do, I do. I have a professional juicer and drink fresh carrots and apples on a nightly basis. Breakfast is always blueberries, bananas and OJ. Salad every night and a light sandwich for lunch. I run, and am rather healthy. But I do like my beer and wine.

As far as meats go, grilled chicken & turkey are veyr healthy. I eat both often. Ribs, depending on the cut are also healthy. Most of the fat/marbling is rendered through cooking anyways. I also eat alot of beef tenderloin as it's so inexpensive here.

The smoker is going to be my exit plan from the advertising industry. I want to start my own restuarant in the next one to two years. Slow smoked meats are not so prevalent here so I want to share a passion of mine with others. I plan on taking next year off of work to travel and taste test all of these different places and find the taste I want to bring back here.

Let there be smoke!

Last edited:
Rik_Rankin said:
:mad:
You are KILLING INNOCENT ANIMALS and cooking them in that nazi style oven. DISQUSTING!! :mad:

There are natural hierarchies in the food chain. Although it would seem that you are indeed what you eat. Enjoy your fruit Rik. :D

No further comment.
:rolleyes:

Heath or disease?

:)
SugarMedia said:
There are natural hierarchies in the food chain. Although it would seem that you are indeed what you eat. Enjoy your fruit Rik. :D

No further comment.
:rolleyes:
That's what the cattle farmers want you to believe. The fact is 50% of the men in this country die of heart disease largely as a result of poor diet(cancer too from the nitrates and nitrites you use on the smoked meats), i.e., saturated fats. Smoking is a factor too, of course. The high sodium can also contribute to high blood pressure which is correlated to strokes. Do what you want, but you will pay for your poor choices later. There is NOTHING healthy about eating smoked meats of any kind. Just look at the health of americans and the typical diet and look at the ever increasing health insurance costs.

Smoked meats are like every other "bad" food - moderation is necessary. I love them myself, but maybe have them once a month or less.

My neighbor has a nice smoker - it has the wood "biscuit" turret on the side that feeds them in on a timed basis.

I think it's like this.

dyazdani said:
Smoked meats are like every other "bad" food - moderation is necessary. I love them myself, but maybe have them once a month or less.

My neighbor has a nice smoker - it has the wood "biscuit" turret on the side that feeds them in on a timed basis.

I think it's like this.
That makes sense. Same thing for the poison from Mcdonalds. 11% of the US population eats that crap at least once per day

My grand parents smoked meat in their own smoke house. Every part of mr pig except the squeal was utilized; brains, feet, intestine and every thing in between. These folks; along with their brothers and sisters together with the most of the rural South eat (not at every meal) smoked meats, either as seasoning in vegtables or as the meat of the meal. And they lived long full lives. My great aunt was in her 70's in a nursing home and still working part time; as of all things a nurse.

What these people didn't do is sit in an office and/or at a computer all day/night. What they did do is worked and I mean from building houses to quilting.

There's big money in getting us sick and then doctoring us.

Just for the record I have owned mutiple cookers/smokers over the years. Currently my arsenal consist of a FE100 by Cookshack, a 4' Tegas grill and a mid sized Big Green Egg. I smoke everything from cabbage to Kobe beef brisket.

All things in moderation. Too much spring water will kill you.

SugarMedia said:

Thanks.

Talked to some the kids that work here about it and they said they just spent the whole weekend smoking "reefer". I think it's some kind of fish.

Latest posts

Back