small room (office) and Clarity/Vista

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jleblanc77

Hello!

I'm getting very close to purchasing a set of Vista or Clarity MLs, and they will be used primarily in my office at work, at least for now. The office isn't very big, probably 9' (deep) x 12' (wide) with me sitting quite close to the back wall, facing (9' away) the other wall. I know the Vistas are overkill for the room, but if I'm going to spend the $ on a set, I plan on using them in a larger room or at home eventually so I don't want to get something I'll want to upgrade later. So, my question is, will this room size make either of these speakers suffer too much to enjoy them for a while here at work? Is it reasonable to place either one directly against the back wall, or is there a need for a 1-3' gap, like some other, older MLs.

I really love the clarity and vocal performance of these speakers, but I don't want to have to miss out on that because my listening space is too small. Someone hold me hand and tell me that it will be OK :)

Thanks!

From experience (I've owned Magnepan, Quad, and Martin Logan), all planars need some distance away from the back wall.

Go for It...

jleblanc77,

:D Welcome to the ML Club!
I'd go for either the Vista's or Clarity's... IMHO the most you can afford. As far a your small listening space. I would recommend after you purchase your speakers moving them around a bit experimenting with how they sound in a small space. You will find the proper listening zone for your room. one foot or less toe'd in tweaked just right I think will work... ;)

Near field listening is much different than in a larger room. Also, please keep in mind your room treatments will be key to assisting to dial-in blending your speakers - into your smaller room. Will you have these speaker playing loudly most of the time? or will you have them playing for just background music?

I say - go for it... :D

jleblanc77 said:
I plan on using them in a larger room or at home eventually so I don't want to get something I'll want to upgrade later.

You answered your own question, my friend. You should get the Vistas.

All stats are going to require space to realize their potential. I don't think you will enjoy them in that small of a space. I would recommend buying something smaller off audiogon for now, and saving your money for something larger in the future. You can always sell the small speakers when you are ready to upgrade.

You didn't mention what equipment you will use to drive the speakers. That might be a better place to invest money for now...at least until you have the space to realize the potential of the speakers.

Latest posts

Back