Small Room Big Speaker

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holmancv

Reaction score
Well now that I have figured out (Thanks to this very cool forum) that I can use my AVR as a preamp I am starting to work out a strategy for my next upgrade. My next procurement will be MORE POWER to quote Tim, The Toolman. But for now ... I went to Magnolia HiFi and saw my bubba, Steve and we listened to Aeons and Vantages. The Aeons come in just under three-grand and the Vantages come in just under five-grand. I think some of the cost differential is the Vantages is their having a sub-woofer built in. I'm currently living in some pretty small quarters and I think the Vantages would be overdoing it a little bit. I guess what I'm asking is if my good friends out in the forum think that extra two-grand is worth it. When my next upgrade is complete I will be running:

ML Aeons or Vantages for Mains, ML Vignette for Center, ML Mosiacs for Side and DefTech BP 7006 for rears with a DefTech Supercube II for toppers. Running all of this a Denon 2105 as a preamp, seven Outlaw 2200s for power with Denon CD/DVD and my IPOD and finally a SONY KD-34XBR960 HDTV

Happy Holidays my friends

I have just recently acquired the Vantages myself. One thing to correct you on is they do not have a sub built in, it's mearly a 8" woofer. I don't believe one would consider it to be a true "sub". Regardless, mine aren't even broken in and I'm very pleased so far. I just finished watching and listening to the "Trans-Siberian Orchestra - The Ghost of Christmas Eve" DVD and I must say the speakers did not let me down. I anticipate even better things once I get another 30-40 hrs on them. I give them a thumbs up !!!

The price difference over the Aeon is because the Vantage uses Martin Logan’s New XStat technology and each tower has an 8” aluminum woofer with 200 watt mono amplifier built in. I have not heard the vantage yet but I would not think the vantage would be to over powering in a small room.

Personally I think YES, it is worth the extra 2G’s.

Excellent system...

holmancv said:
Well now that I have figured out (Thanks to this very cool forum) that I can use my AVR as a preamp I am starting to work out a strategy for my next upgrade. My next procurement will be MORE POWER to quote Tim, The Toolman. But for now ... I went to Magnolia HiFi and saw my bubba, Steve and we listened to Aeons and Vantages. The Aeons come in just under three-grand and the Vantages come in just under five-grand. I think some of the cost differential is the Vantages is their having a sub-woofer built in. I'm currently living in some pretty small quarters and I think the Vantages would be overdoing it a little bit. I guess what I'm asking is if my good friends out in the forum think that extra two-grand is worth it. When my next upgrade is complete I will be running:

ML Aeons or Vantages for Mains, ML Vignette for Center, ML Mosiacs for Side and DefTech BP 7006 for rears with a DefTech Supercube II for toppers. Running all of this a Denon 2105 as a preamp, seven Outlaw 2200s for power with Denon CD/DVD and my IPOD and finally a SONY KD-34XBR960 HDTV

Happy Holidays my friends
holmancv,

IMHO, I think you should invest in the future, as you won't always be in a small place, I would go for the Vantage speakers. Remember you are probably going to have these excellent speakers for years... :D

I agree with your using the Denon 2105 as a preamp / processor. I am also doing the same ting with my Pioneer 59TXi... :D

Good luck and Merry Christmas :D

Cheers

-Robin

This is why "clubs" like this are so fantastic

This is why clubs like this are so fantastic. I NEVER would have known that I can use my AVR as a preamp had it not been for the MLC. My first acquisition will be two of the Outlaw 2200's I'll set those up to drive my existing ML Mosiacs then get the Aeons/Vantages. I have to listed to them when the store isn't packed with holiday shoppers. (I have a great sales rep at Magnolia Hifi in Portland but he does have bills to pay so the holidays are not a great time to do this ... ) I was suprised to find that I THOUGHT that my Mosiacs were preferable to the Claritys. I DON"T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE, it's just my opinion and using another source I may have come to another conclusion. Anyway thanks again MLC members for your courtesy and your help. Happy Holidays
Craig Holman

holmancv said:
I was suprised to find that I THOUGHT that my Mosiacs were preferable to the Claritys. I DON"T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE, it's just my opinion and using another source I may have come to another conclusion.
No offence taken here...your ears, your choice. That is what makes this hobby of ours so much fun...so many things to choose from for each of our own perferences, likes, and budget!!!!

Dan

holmancv said:
This is why clubs like this are so fantastic. I NEVER would have known that I can use my AVR as a preamp had it not been for the MLC. My first acquisition will be two of the Outlaw 2200's I'll set those up to drive my existing ML Mosiacs then get the Aeons/Vantages. I have to listed to them when the store isn't packed with holiday shoppers. (I have a great sales rep at Magnolia Hifi in Portland but he does have bills to pay so the holidays are not a great time to do this ... ) I was suprised to find that I THOUGHT that my Mosiacs were preferable to the Claritys. I DON"T MEAN TO OFFEND ANYONE, it's just my opinion and using another source I may have come to another conclusion. Anyway thanks again MLC members for your courtesy and your help. Happy Holidays
Craig Holman

As long as your receiver has pre-amp out’s you can use it as a pre.

Offend us? No, the mosaics are grate speakers, basically a simpler version of the clarity. In my opinion the clarity is an entry level electrostatic speakers but still better then any ATF tech speaker Martin Logan makes. That’s not to say the ATF’s are bad, it’s just by design the ESL’s offer so much more.

Gayle Sanders started Martin Logan doing ESL’s and later came out with ATF so that more people could enjoy that electrostatic sound out of a smaller speaker that was easier to drive and not as expensive.

Take Care.

Back