Slam & Punch - Which M/L Rocks?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
Slam, Punch, and Meat on the Bones sound - Which M/L speaker can Rock the most convincingly?

Here I go stirring up trouble. :)

M/L speakers are known for their transparency and nuance of detail. However they are not the first name that comes to mind when arguing about moving vast volumes of air in a raging torrent of sound.

Perhaps there have been some home theaters applications you can bring up that will educate me "proper", and blow my mind.

One aspect is that amplified live music never seems to use panel speakers - at least I don't know any musicians using them. Heck, don't know of any studios using panel/planar speakers either (there must be some).

Dynamic cone drivers and horns seem rule the day (and night) - what's the deal? If you want to sound "live" shouldn’t you just use a P.A. system?

The question.........after enraging you with stupid accusations is this; Which M/L speaker is best at getting a grittier meatier sound, and what do you have to feed that bad boy (power wise) to get it to work that aggressively?

Follow up question: Should M/L even bother trying to compete head on with conventional dynamic cone drivers, or should it focus on dominating the market for planar speakers?

kach22i said:
Slam, Punch, and Meat on the Bones sound - Which M/L speaker can Rock the most convincingly?

Here I go stirring up trouble. :)

M/L speakers are known for their transparency and nuance of detail. However they are not the first name that comes to mind when arguing about moving vast volumes of air in a raging torrent of sound.

Perhaps there have been some home theaters applications you can bring up that will educate me "proper", and blow my mind.

One aspect is that amplified live music never seems to use panel speakers - at least I don't know any musicians using them. Heck, don't know of any studios using panel/planar speakers either (there must be some).

Dynamic cone drivers and horns seem rule the day (and night) - what's the deal? If you want to sound "live" shouldn’t you just use a P.A. system?

The question.........after enraging you with stupid accusations is this; Which M/L speaker is best at getting a grittier meatier sound, and what do you have to feed that bad boy (power wise) to get it to work that aggressively?

Follow up question: Should M/L even bother trying to compete head on with conventional dynamic cone drivers, or should it focus on dominating the market for planar speakers?

I doubt panels would push enough air to be used in a loud environment such as a live music venue, however I have seen several references to them being used in studios to master albums. There was a link to a studio in one of the discussions topics just the other day that used ML speakers.

I've thought about how much better a live jazz or blues club would sound with some big ass panels hooked up to the PA instead of cones and horns. However, I doubt most people would appreciate it, and it would very cost prohibitive (contrary to popular belief, most talented musicians are pretty poor!). The directional nature of panels would not work well in most live music settings either.

Personnally, I am perfectly content with my ML's for rock, but that is not why I bought them. I love rock, heck I used to play drums in a band, but I'd be happy listening to most rock on just about any cheap speaker. It's when I put in more subtle jazz, blues, and the classics that the ML's shine.

If your primary motivation is "grittier meatier sound", I don't think ML is the right choice.

Steve said:
There was a link to a studio in one of the discussions topics just the other day that used ML speakers.

I believe it was the Faroudja room. Picture courtesy of Secrets of HT and Hi Fi.

faroudjahtlab31ne.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
There was also one from Zip3kx07 21/03/05. Thread "check this out".

Back