SL3's & ICE amps?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownlo

Reaction score
I have a pair of ML SL-3's that I plan on driving with a PS Audio GCC-500 and a McCormack Power Drive DNA-2. I am going to have a Bi-amp config (Using the GCC-500 pre-out to the DNA-2) with the the GCC-500 driving the bass units, and the DNA-2 driving the Stat sections. I read somewhere else about an adverse effect when using ML speakers with digital amps (something about DC offset) It seemed this issue may have been specific to the Summits, or is this the case with all ML speakers and digital (ICE) amps? :confused:

This is only when the IcePower amp is used with a Vantage or Summit ie a ML speaker that also has an IcePower amp built in.

Before I had Summits, I used a GCC500 without any issues first into my SL3s and from there into Ascent i's.

When I got my Summits I did have a problem but have now got this fixed by replacing the power supplies (I think) in the Summits.

In summary - there won't be a problem with the SL3's.

ML and ICE

Hi Slownlo,

I can confirm that ICEpower amps works fine with Martin Logan. I have the ML Aeons and I utilize ICEpower (500ASP) without any troubles at all.
I've played with this setup for over a year++ and I really like the sound reproduced from this combination.

My findings - after several try-outs is that the ICEpower amps. should be placed in very close proximity to the speakers in order to keep the speakercables as short as possible. In my setup I use Tala Labs Prism Bi-wire cables at a lenght of only 40 cm (15 in) to each speaker. The ICEpower amps are placed vertically on the floor - just behind the speakers. I've twisted the single wires at both ends of the speakercables, because of the relative high swithcing frequency (app. 500kHz) generated from the ICEpower amps. A very good practice is to use high quality shielded interconnectcables to the amps. I use so called Star Quad microphonecables from Van Damme. At last - but not least, I've good experience using shielded mains cable to the ICEpower and I consider the use of a good earth connection to be of paramount importance too.

Please beware of the high break-in time for the ICEpower amps. several hours / weeks are not unusual before they really sings ;)

FYI the term "Digital power amp." is not quite legitim as NO analog to digital or vice versa conversion are made to the signal. In fact the correctly named "Class D" amplifer are purly analog with respect to signal handling.

Enjoy the music :)

Peter

Thanks Guys,

Thats a sigh of relief... :p

Pete about the switching noise:

According to PS Audio, they've overcome this issue:

"PS Audio GCA series amplifiers solve this classic noise problem quite well and are quiet enough to place even the most sensitive of equipment near the amplifier with no ill effects. In a PS power design, noise is not a problem"

But marketing is marketing... :eek:

Thanks for the additional info. Since the GCC-500 is an "integrated" I don't really have the cabling options of seperate mono-blocks to keep the speaker cables short. I am using 8ft Xindak FS-.05 cables from the DNA-2 and the GCC-500... The GCC-500 should be here in a day or two, I got a great deal from Paul on a like new return ($2060 shipped) direct from PS Audio with full warranty. He has a few more available if anyone is interested...

You can reach him at:
[email protected]

Back