Sl3/slant

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexor

Reaction score
i know this has been discussed before but what is the advantage of Martin logan slanting the Sl3's back compared to the requests that are straight up and down?

lexor said:
i know this has been discussed before but what is the advantage of Martin logan slanting the Sl3's back compared to the requests that are straight up and down?
Hola Lexor...all ML models can be slanted. All rooms are different and we can get the best mids-highs dispersion. If you slant them to their back (look the inclination of the new ML line) the highs are amphasize, and too slanted to front, they are null. Trust your ears, and choose the position that you like most. Do, listen at your favorite position any music that you like, and stand up, and listen...if they are slanted too forward, at standing up, you will hear lack of highs as when you are seated...some people likes dull, others bright...with ML you can choose the how much you want the stage and open sound in your own room...happy listening,
Roberto.

I thought it was tilt them forward so they are more vertical and the highs will beam at you therefore sound brighter.

Tilt them back so there is a greater angle or tilt and the high frequency sounds will shoot over your head and therefore the speaker will sound duller.

The older M/L speakers needed to be pointed right at you as they were not likely to ever be "to bright". M/L has become better or brighter in the highs over the years to the point of being able to tune them down per the rooms acoustics.

I've not known roberto to ever be wrong, so maybe I'm reading his answer in the wrong way.

kach22i said:
I thought it was tilt them forward so they are more vertical and the highs will beam at you therefore sound brighter.

Tilt them back so there is a greater angle or tilt and the high frequency sounds will shoot over your head and therefore the speaker will sound duller.

The older M/L speakers needed to be pointed right at you as they were not likely to ever be "to bright". M/L has become better or brighter in the highs over the years to the point of being able to tune them down per the rooms acoustics.

I've not known roberto to ever be wrong, so maybe I'm reading his answer in the wrong way.
Hola Kach22i. Thanks for that, but I get wrong many times too :D . But if you lay back your ML (any model) you get more smooth highs. If you put the panels tilt forward, then you are aiming them to your seat, and too much high frequency energy is there, and in a common room what happens is that the cymbals are too forward and loose the 3D, becoming the stage as a plate thick, wide but no depth to back. Also, if you read Dan's tweak for the CLS, you will find that he recommend it too. As I said before, it depends a lot of your liking, and also your room. This is a general rule, and works for most rooms. To get the best room response for highs, you have to listen the highs standing up and seated..it is a compromise, and when you get this, listen for the image, not quantity of highs, listen for how the stage is, where are the voice(s) or if the performer(s) are in front of the group (orchestra) or not. With my CLS, I get more highs overall with them a little lay back and the image snaps right away with outstanding 3 dimentional sound...they desappear of my room and what I get is just the musician(s) playing for me!!!
(sorry for the mess that I could cause)...happy listening,
Roberto.

Back