SL3 project =)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orjanb

Reaction score
Here´s a picture of my latest SL3 surround project =)
Removed the panels from the original frame and builded a new one so I could hang the panels on the side and rear walls, saves a lot of space and do I need to say it sounds great!
What do you think of my little project?

Attachments

• DSC_0032_resize.JPG
    DSC_0032_resize.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 831
Last edited:
Looks better than I think it would sound. Why have a dipole that is pinned to a wall? You get no benefits form it. NOT that I am a fan of dipole speakers for HT. That is a different subject all in itself. If any thing they make a good conversation piece. Good luck !

Yes you’re absolutely right that they need more air to sound as they should be, but it’s a compromise. It´s the only way I can get bigger panels as surround and to match the front panels. The panel has about 15cm air to the wall, and sound so much better than the scripts I´ve had as surround earlier.

Very interesting. :music:

But I'd also suggest putting some absorption right behind them. Matter of fact try and absorb down to 250Hz, so use 3 or 4" thick high-density fiberglass layered with felt and other materials designed to absorb high-frequencies.

The comb filtering of the current setup must be severe...

You’re on the right track, just need to pay attention to the rear wave.

Thx for the info.
Got a couple Sombra A acoustic ceiling plates, will try and attach them to the wall behind the panels and hear what happens.
I will do that when I have some spare time for the theater.

Also, any details on where the ESL step-up and crossovers are?
I don't see a 'box' for that stuff.

Are you running them just from 300Hz up?

I´ts only the panel that are used no woofers yet, sometime in the future maby. Its wery easy to put them at the rear wall, sides are worse.

The step up and crossover are as you can see built in, only the cables to the panels are visible.
The rear back is original but the sides are some new 19mm mdf board, just moved all the stuff from the original to the new one. Looks much nicer when all the cables are invisible =)

Attachments

• back windows.jpg
    back windows.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 740
  • baksida.jpg
    baksida.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 743
  • www.minhembio.com.jpg
    www.minhembio.com.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
I also changed the red diode to blue.