SL3 Problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abhijit

Reaction score
I have a pair SL3 speakers and have been using since 1999. I am extremely happy with them. Today I noticed that the the black front panel (mesh) has glided down about 1 inch and touching the carpet. Both the speakers have the same problem. I stay in a Centrally Aircond. apartment in Kuwait and was amazed . It is sounding perfectly fine. Can anybody suggest how to raise the panel to their original level? I referred to my some of my snaps taken in Dec 2004 and did not show any problem then.
BTW, I have the following equipment :
1. Plinuius SA-102 Power Amp
2. Sonic Frontier - Line 1 Pre-amp with NOS Tubes
3. Wadia 861 CD Player
4. Aiwa XKS9000 Audio Tape Deck
5. MIT Power Surge Protector Unit
6. MIT Proline Interconnects (Balanced and RCA)
7. MIT Terminator 2 Biwire Speaker Cables

abhijit,
I believe what has happened is really cosmetic and not to lose sleep over. My Sequel II's did the same thing. THe Sequels were the predecessor to the SL3's I assuming ( this is dangerous) that you are really refering to the grill over the woofer and not the panel itself. If it is the "grill" this si an easy fix. If everything has slid down it may be similar to the same symptom.

First, if it is just the "grill", look closely at the top and sides. There is some double sided tape that holds it in place. This is typically a #m type of tape. This could have lost some of it "stickiness" over the years. Put one speaker on it's side and see if you can move it back in to place. THis will give you an indication. Also. ML did make small clips that screwed in to the bottom to hold the "grill" in place. You can actually use anything availble at the local hardware store to accomplish this.

My guess is this is the real issue. If the enitre thing slipped it would indicate that the "tape" and maybe any spacers may have moved.

I hope this gives you some idea

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

abhijit said:
I have a pair SL3 speakers and have been using since 1999. I am extremely happy with them. Today I noticed that the the black front panel (mesh) has glided down about 1 inch and touching the carpet. Both the speakers have the same problem. I stay in a Centrally Aircond. apartment in Kuwait and was amazed . It is sounding perfectly fine. Can anybody suggest how to raise the panel to their original level? I referred to my some of my snaps taken in Dec 2004 and did not show any problem then.
BTW, I have the following equipment :
1. Plinuius SA-102 Power Amp
2. Sonic Frontier - Line 1 Pre-amp with NOS Tubes
3. Wadia 861 CD Player
4. Aiwa XKS9000 Audio Tape Deck
5. MIT Power Surge Protector Unit
6. MIT Proline Interconnects (Balanced and RCA)
7. MIT Terminator 2 Biwire Speaker Cables

Hola Abhijit, as Jeff said, it is a cosmetic problem. To solve it, what you have to do is:
1) Carefully, lay them on it´s back and at the bottom of then, where the rails are,
2)there are two little blades that are not letting the rails to come down, take off the two phillips screws and the blades,
3)then with a soft mallet hit the top of the rais to get both of them apart.
4) Now you will notice that the panels are secured with velcro...just put them back at level with the top of the cabinet,
5) reverse the procedure...put againg the rails and you are done it. They will stay there for some time...they last 5 years in position, perhaps you will have them there for another years...lol!
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Thanx for the reply. I really appreciate. One thing I noticed that the wooden trims are in place and what has moved is the grill including the panel. Where can I find more tech. details to remove the panel? I culd not locate any blades and screws. Where are they exactly located?

Last edited:
abhijit said:
Thanx for the reply. I really appreciate. One thing I noticed that the wooden trims are in place and what has moved is the grill including the panel. Where can I find more tech. details to remove the panel? I culd not locate any blades and screws. Where are they exactly located?
Hola...generally they are located at the bottom of the speaker´s cabinet...where the feet are...and are small blades that won´t let the rails to go down. If your speakers don´t have them, don´t worry. Just with a soft mallet, hit at the top ot the rails until they move about 2" down and the rails are loose. As soon as you have the rails removed, take the panels with your hands from top and bottom, and pull it aginst to you. This will let the velcro to let go...and put them again in the right position. Aligmn the stat panel with the top of the speaker´s cabinet and secure it agin against the velcro...
hope this can help...
Roberto.

Thanx for the info. I observerd that there are two screw holes on each side at the bottom on each corner of the front feet but there are no blades. I could not understand clearly where to hit exactly! Did u mean to to hit the wooden trims from the top. Which rails did u mean? Is there any way to remove the wooden trims? Sorry to bother you again

abhijit said:
Thanx for the info. I observerd that there are two screw holes on each side at the bottom on each corner of the front feet but there are no blades. I could not understand clearly where to hit exactly! Did u mean to to hit the wooden trims from the top. Which rails did u mean? Is there any way to remove the wooden trims? Sorry to bother you again
Yes, your are right, the wood trims...sorry for my bad English. Lay the speaker´s cabinet on its back over a pillow or cushion...then proceed with the wood trims. You have to hit them a little hard, but you need to do it with a soft mallet like rubber mallet. As soon as the trims mooves about 2", you can revome them easely. The panels are secured at the top of them with velcro...just align the top of the panel with the top of the cabinet...then press firmely, so the velcro gets sticked again...now reverse the procedure...happy listening,
Roberto.

Sl3

Thanx again for your valuable advise. Hope once the the Wooden Trims are pushed downwards, I am able to put it back right. Are these wooden trims are on a sliding locking mechanism? Do you think it's worth washing the Stator? I purched the speaker in 1999 (February) as brand new and being living in a Central Airconditioned appartment since 2000.

Last edited:
abhijit said:
Thanx again for your valuable advise. Hope once the the Wooden Trims are pushed downwards, I am able to put it back right. Are these wooden trims are on a sliding locking mechanism?

Yes, there are three pins that engages the wood trims with the cabinet. One at the top, other at the midle and another at the bottom of the trim. Very easy task to do...hope this can help, happy listening,
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Sorry to bother you again. Just want a confirmation from you regarding the direction where the wooden trims to be hammered. Is it from the top of the speakers or bottom of the speakers? Do you think it's worth washing the stator? I purchaed them on Feb 1999 as brand new and have been living in a Central Aircond. Apartment since 2000 :)

Last edited:
Velcro

While you are at it, you may want to replace the Velcro with new Velcro material after cleaning the "sticking" area well. I would surmise that the adhesive backing on the Velcro has deteroriated a bit and that might be what is causing the slippage.

abhijit said:
Sorry to bother you again. Just want a confirmation from you regarding the direction where the wooden trims to be hammered. Is it from the top of the speakers or bottom of the speakers? Do you think it's worth washing the stator? I purchaed them on Feb 1999 as brand new and have been living in a Central Aircond. Apartment since 2000 :)
Hola...if you don´t have any problem with the sound, you don´t need to wash the panels. If I were you, I will let them as they are now. Hit the trim rails from top and they will slide only about 2" down, then you can take off the trims with no problem. It is good idea to inspect the velcro as LaserMark4 suggested, and inspect it to see if it is necessary to replace it...normally, it is not needed to do it. Just align again the top of the panel with the top of the cabinet...press hard to make sure the velcro is securing the panel and you are done. Watch the woofer´s protection...you have to inspect the foam that holds it to the rails...nothing special to do. If they are not in position, just use some glue (rubber glue is better) and that´s it. Hope this can help...happy listening,
Roberto.

Amazing. My SL3 have the same problem just a few days ago and I was wondering what to do. I bought mine brand new back in 1998. Same time frame.

I was going to hit the rails from bottom to top but I thought I would do some search first. Lucky I did. I'll follow Roberto's steps and hopefully it'll be smooth.

abhijit, please post back if there is anything else I should note before I start. Did you need to replace the velcro with brand new ones? How? Just peel off the old and stick on the new?

Thanks all.

Erictrostatic said:
Amazing. My SL3 have the same problem just a few days ago and I was wondering what to do. I bought mine brand new back in 1998. Same time frame.

I was going to hit the rails from bottom to top but I thought I would do some search first. Lucky I did. I'll follow Roberto's steps and hopefully it'll be smooth.

abhijit, please post back if there is anything else I should note before I start. Did you need to replace the velcro with brand new ones? How? Just peel off the old and stick on the new?

Thanks all.
Hola Electrostatic...my advise is to inspect carefully the velcro. Many times is just the time that makes the velcro to fail off position. Just align the top of the panel with the top of the cabinet and you are done!!!...I have never replaced the velcro...but if you want, you could use more velcro to secure the panel against the cabinet...I would choose the midle of the panel and twice the size of velcro at left and right of the panel. Perhaps with these array, you will never will have another loose panel again...lol
The SL-3 are still one of the best sounding speakers with great size in its speaker´s cabinet, not too small and not too big, and with the right placement, will give outstanding image and scenario. They are capable to reproduce effortless the inner detail of a flute, you can listen the air thorugh it on each note, the quality of the recording, the musician playing the instrument, the right size of a classical guitar next to a piano. These features make them a truly super hi-end speakers. To my ears, one of the best!!!
I hope that this can help and regards from Costa Rica.
Roberto.

Thanx for the advise. Sorry for the delay as I was out of the country. Changed the Velcro.

Thanx for the help. I could able to open the side panels and could move the ESL Panel up. Few more questions which are as follows:

1. Is the alignment of ESL panel should be in line with the top edge of the wooden cabinet? If that the case, then the wooden trims sticks couple of mm above. Is that OK?
2. Observed that all the mount screws for the woofers were lose and when trying to tighten, it rotates endlessly. What is the solution? Is this a common problem?
3. Same case with the screws holding the metal brackets which holds the Wooden trims on either sides. What is the solution?
4. Is it necessary to replace the rubber strip which runs vertically along the length of the ESL panel on either sides. If I do not get the excact rubber strip, what is the alterantive? Will 3mm double sided tape do?
5. Do ML use MDF wood for the woofer cabinet? Then why should all the screw become lose if not opened at all before

I did replace the Velcro. I had to replace the rubber strip which runs horizontally along the top end edge of the woofer grill. This strip got damaged while separating the ESL panel with the woofer grill.Aligned and glued the rubber strips with "rubber solution/ADHESIVE" for the woofer grill which runs vertically (inside). Did u try tightening the woofer and the "metal brackets" which holds the wooden bracket? I found them loose. Be carefull to tighten them? Should bot apply all ur muscles!!!

Sl3 Problem

Just want to remind SL3 owners the following:

a) Whenver the side wooden trims are opened ,make sure that the clamps/locks' (which holds the wooden trims) mouting screws on the cabinet are tightened securly. If need be, replace with an oversize ones. In my case, all the screws were sheared - problem with the MDF wood with the weather may be! (These speakers were opened for the first time from the date of purchase)

b) Check the woofer mounting screws too. They were all loose and sheared. So had to replace with an oversized ones. Now the bass sounds much tighter

I would like to add to this thread.
After reading and re-reading the instructions, I set about removing the rails, hitting them from the top. after 5 minutes and much banging, sweating and heart pounding I found I wasn't able to move them. on a whim, I hit one from the bottom and off it came!
so for the next one, I uprighted the speaker back onto it's spikes, rocked it over slightly and stuck my rubber mallet under the wooden rail, then gently let the speaker settle back down. the weight of the speaker was enough to pop the rail off.

What year/month are your SL3s mate? There is a thread somewhere to find it out from the serial number.

I've had the same problem with mine, they wouldn't budge at all. I decided to leave them alone for the time being. Mine are Jan2000.
I'll need to take them off and wash them at some point, so if the late ones come off so easily I'd like to know beforehand:D

Back