SL3 Panels wrinkled? Rails

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SHUTTERBUG

Wanted to find out if any of the fellow members have ever run across wrinkled panels. I bought Some ML SL3s this past week and they arrived with wrinkled mylar. I also own prodgys and they are very smooth and taught. Anyways, wanted to find out what you guys know about this and what would cause this? Does anyone on this forum have any SL3 panels? Martin Logan quoted me $500 for new ones, I have not been able to tell yet if they affect the sound yet or not. Any advice or thoughts? Also looking for SL3 rails any color

use a hair blower...

SHUTTERBUG said:
Wanted to find out if any of the fellow members have ever run across wrinkled panels. I bought Some ML SL3s this past week and they arrived with wrinkled mylar. I also own prodgys and they are very smooth and taught. Anyways, wanted to find out what you guys know about this and what would cause this? Does anyone on this forum have any SL3 panels? Martin Logan quoted me $500 for new ones, I have not been able to tell yet if they affect the sound yet or not. Any advice or thoughts? Also looking for SL3 rails any color
Hola Shutterbug. Well I have had the same problem...wrinkled panels. With the aid of a hair blower, and warming up enough but no too much to shrink the wrinkles. Passing the hair blower from left to right where the wrinkle is, until it desapears!..The wrinkle does not affect the sound quality of your SL-3 panels.
Hope this can help!
Regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Shutterbug,
Look in the archives or maybe it was in the Tweaks. There is a post about how to do it. I think it was about the CLS's but the task is the same. I have a pair of Sequel II's and one of them has a slight wrinkle in them but I have left it alone. There is no difference in sound between either speaker.. My CLSiiZ's has a slight "buzz" on a particular bass note. I have considerably reduced that with the "hair/blow" dryer method bydoing this on the "bass" part of the panel. I was told to go up and down with the CLS and to stay away from the middle section. I did talk with Jim Power at ML about it and he said that is essentially what they do in the factory. Ok they do not use a blow dryer but a heat gun but then again they do know what they are doing, :rolleyes:

Good Luck and let us know.

Jeff

SHUTTERBUG said:
Hola. With a hair-dryer, where the wrinkle is, from left to right motion and back, you may take the wrinkle off. Sometimes this wrinkle does no affect the sound, but it looks bad. Do not apply too much heat, because you could melt the thin membrane...so take your time when you do this!
Hope this can help!
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back