SL3 panel slippage Problem, please help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinylSound

Reaction score
I listen more than I look, so as dumb as this sounds, I have noticed for about a month that the left side of my system sound is "off." Finally I noticed that the entire panel enclosing the mylar has dropped about 1-1 1/2 inches.

What can I do to resecure it at the proper height? Can I do it or is it a factory job? Would it be as simple as removing the rails and pulling it up? Any one ever had this problem?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Doug
White Stone, VA

VinylSound said:
I listen more than I look, so as dumb as this sounds, I have noticed for about a month that the left side of my system sound is "off." Finally I noticed that the entire panel enclosing the mylar has dropped about 1-1 1/2 inches.

What can I do to resecure it at the proper height? Can I do it or is it a factory job? Would it be as simple as removing the rails and pulling it up? Any one ever had this problem?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Doug
White Stone, VA
Hola Doug...it is as simple as removing the rails and pulling it up...sometimes there is a velcro al the top of the panel, just align the panel with the wooden cabinet at the top too, put the rails back, and you are done. When putting the rails back, make a little pressure with your hand at the center of the rail when at the same time, with a rubber mallet, hitting at the bottom...happy listening,
Roberto.

Slippage sometimes requires a clip at the bottom

One of my SL3 panels continually slipped. What I did was remove the rails and reposition the panels then I added a clip to the bottom to secure the panels. I just used a small metal square with a pair of small holes drilled in one end. I painted the clip black with noise absorbing "rubber" paint and then screwed them onto the bottom of the speaker with small wood screws such that they held the panels in place... no problem! ML can give you clips for the purpose BTW. I live overseas so it was easier to make my own clips. Happy listening!

Also, this is typically a sign that the foam padding between the rails and the panel has deteriorated and needs replacing. A trip to your local home improvement box store and looking for window or door weather stripping will yield a reasonable replacement. Just take a sample of the old stuff off the panel and make sure the replacement is roughly similar in size.

Replacing that will remove the need for the clip and will also ensure that the panel to frame vibrations are damped.

If the bottom perforated panel in front of the woofer is sliding down, then it might be that the rail tension has changed over time. The rails have screws on them that hook into slides on the frame. Adjusting the screws to add more tension (screwing them into the rail more) will typically help. Don't over tighten, as it will make putting the rails back on impossible.

Back